BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #1
rteichman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

New owner and a couple questions

I indulged myself and bought a 2015 i8 for play and to try my luck renting it out on Turo. The car is in Philadelphia, but I live in Mexico so I'll only get to use it a few times a year.

I have used it now for 2 weeks while I was in the states and I really am enjoying the car a lot. I can't wait to get back to drive it again.

My question is about electric range. It doesn't seem to go very far on pure battery in city driving. When its fully charged and I have used it on the highway the drive before, it says it will get about 15 miles. When its fully charged after a day driving around town it says it will get about 9-11 miles. However in each case the battery runs out after about 4 miles. Should I have that looked into? It's still under warranty.

My next question is about functionality. According to the specs it has adaptive cruise control and cornering lights (pure impulse model). Neither seem to be in the car. I don't really care about the cornering lights, but adaptive cruise control is an issue. It's also odd since it has sensors and cameras around the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #2
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Definitely get the battery looked at, my two year old car still gets me 15 to 16 miles of battery only range.

I don't think that adaptive cruise and cornering lights were ever standard on the i8. Not sure that they were even selectable as options...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
drewjevans
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Audi Q7, Jeep XJ

The lack of adaptive cruise and cornering lights are a known "oversight". My window sticker (2015 i8 Pure Impulse) even lists them as included options, but neither is present on my car, or on any i8 as far as I know.

Perhaps the cornering lights weren't possible in the end, given the final design of the very narrow headlight housing? So perhaps aesthetics won out over function in that case (at least that's what I tell myself...)

The lack of adaptive cruise is less forgivable, given how many other cars of the era had it, INCLUDING THE BMW i3. While the i8 *does* have the required camera and ultrasonic sensors around the perimeter of the car, it does *not* have a long-distance radar sensor at the front, which is needed for adaptive cruise. Again, could possibly have been due to a packaging issue, given the thin front grille fascia on the i8 compared to the generous vertical front-end real estate available on the i3 and other vehicles. These sensors are several inches in circumference.

Either way, they should have removed the options from the vehicle spec sheet (and window sticker!) before they were sold to customers.

My 2011 Audi Q7 has both adaptive cruise and active cornering lights, and it's 4 years older than the i8, and cost less than half as much when new... go figure.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
rteichman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

The radar sensor for adaptive cruise control is only a couple inches square. There is plenty of room for it on the front facia. It's also not expensive so not having adaptive cruise control is a poor excuse.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rteichman View Post
The radar sensor for adaptive cruise control is only a couple inches square. There is plenty of room for it on the front facia. It's also not expensive so not having adaptive cruise control is a poor excuse.
What part of mexico do you live in? I too split time in Guadalajara and San Diego (where the i8 is)

I too have a 2017 i8 and considering Turo- how's that experience been?

As far as your post goes- definitely have the battery checked. I rarely ever plug in- and use the regenerative charging from sport mode- and on a bad day I get 10 miles electric.