BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-15-2019, 04:11 AM   #1
Tazzie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Heating

As a new owner and it's been a bit chilly in the uk when I was driving the car yesterday in pure electric mode and then eco mode I couldn't get any heating. Only when I was in sport mode it finally came through. Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #2
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I8

The HVAC system in my i8 is equally ropey. Sometimes you have to set the temperature at extremes to get any kind of heat. Cooling is good though! I assume the heating system is completely electric and not utilize the engine water system as in a conventional car?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Sounds like you both may have an issue... I don't suffer any problems with heating or cooling in any modes (although cooling is reduced when in eco pro mode - which is the expected behaviour).

It might be worth getting your cars checked at your local dealers.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
Sounds like you both may have an issue... I don't suffer any problems with heating or cooling in any modes (although cooling is reduced when in eco pro mode - which is the expected behaviour).

It might be worth getting your cars checked at your local dealers.
What he said! Also, in Winter, I precondition the cabin while it is plugged in charging. Not only do I get a toasty car but better range since you are using “home power” as opposed to battery power as soon as you drive off.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionicsilveri8 View Post
What he said! Also, in Winter, I precondition the cabin while it is plugged in charging. Not only do I get a toasty car but better range since you are using “home power” as opposed to battery power as soon as you drive off.
One of the best features of the i8!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #6
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

I found this information in the TIS, regarding how the i8 heats. This is very complex:

The heat pump uses the heat from the ambient temperature to heat up the passenger compartment if ambient temperature are below 17 °C by means of the refrigerant circuit. This reduces the use of the electric auxiliary heater, saves energy and increases the range of the vehicle. In principle, the coolant in the cooling circuit must be heated to heat the passenger compartment. In the heat exchanger, the heated coolant passes the heat to the air flowing by. The heated air is routed into the passenger compartment. To heat the coolant, the following components are used:

- The electric auxiliary heater: The electric auxiliary heater heats up the coolant with the help of an electrically operated heating element.
- The refrigerant circuit: The electric A/C compressor generates the heat by compressing the refrigerant. The heat is not passed to the ambient air but routed to the heat pump heat exchanger. The heat pump heat exchanger delivers the heat of the refrigerant circuit to the cooling circuit. If the passenger compartment is to be heated up, the components of the heat pump circuit are used differently according to the ambient contitions. At ambient temperatures below 17 °C, the heat pump circuit is used. It ambient temperatures greater than 17 °C, only the electric auxiliary heater is used.

For cooling the high-voltage battery, the passenger compartment blown air is dehumidifed and during particular requirements of the control, the heat pump circuit is operated in mixed operation. By doing this, the refrigerant circuit is used for cooling the evaporator and the heat generated by the compression process is used to heat up the cooling circuit.

Depending on the request (heating mode, mixed operation or cooling) the refrigerant must be routed through the various components of the refrigerant circuit. The control of the refrigerant flow in the refrigerant circuit is made via 4 refrigerant shutoff valves and 3 expansion valves. The refrigerant circuit is regulated by means of 3 temperature sensors and 2 refrigerant pressure temperature sensors. The activation of the sensors and valves takes place via the heat pump controller.

Any of the above systems may be at fault for not providing heat when the ICE engine has not been run. Looking at the coolant diagram, there is a hot-water return line between the ICE and radiator that branches to a changeover valve (item 25) and the heat exchanger (item 23). https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/i...ing/1VnXkKIXzA

Last edited by patsgarageonline; 08-19-2019 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00
      08-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #7
Tazzie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Very interesting reading. Thank you for all the replies.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 02:38 AM   #8
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver I8

Funny enough, i've only had the car a few weeks and have the same thing!

No heat until the engine has been on a while.

Does your preconditioning function work either? Mine doesnt.

Had it back to the main dealer and they are changing the auxiliary elec heater with is located under the front bonnet at one side so hoping that will fix it? That was the fault logged in the ECU anyway. Could be just a faulty wire or connection though i guess?

Thankfully the warranty is covering it but the total bill is near a grand!! not sure how much just the part is but seems a bit steep.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #9
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

My precondition has always worked, as does heating (almost) immediately upon driving off if I didn't precondition.

I mostly use the DisplayKey to precondition though, but the app works too (unless the i8 is in my garage where it has no 3G signal). DisplayKey always works, within reasonable range so is the most reliable way of activating it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 06:48 AM   #10
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

My goes in tonight for a new auxiliary heater!

I want to set the precondition with a morning time rather than the keyfob as it's plugged into the house so uses the mains rather than battery.

My work car park is probably out of range for the keyfob also so might have to try the app for that!

Someone mentioned that you car have a setting to 'maintain the battery level' while driving and i assume keep the engine on. Do you know what he means as nothing in the i drive? perhaps he just means keep it in sport mode?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #11
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss tone View Post
Someone mentioned that you car have a setting to 'maintain the battery level' while driving and i assume keep the engine on. Do you know what he means as nothing in the i drive? perhaps he just means keep it in sport mode?
Not Sport mode. It is in settings. Look again
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #12
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes found it JasH! Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:07 PM   #13
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

Pre-Heating on cold nights is the BEST feature of i8!
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1045.50
      11-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #14
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
Pre-Heating on cold nights is the BEST feature of i8!
Yes, I concur!
Appreciate 0