BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-15-2019, 04:03 AM   #1
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

Talking Thinking about a i8, feelgood factor

Just read a bunch of posts here on the forum.

Lots of people lurking thinking about buying a i8.

Just want to share with you:

It's such a fantastic car if what you want is a mildly sporty GT and like the looks.
I am just happy with mine to no end due to a simple fact:
It's so light and nippy even the modest power makes it a right giggle to drive.
At the same time its very very comfortable on longer motorway jaunts.

There really aren't many competitors for just this: Light and comfortable.
Allmost all cars I can think of in the same segment is either too rough for daily use or very heavy/powerfull.

So if that is your thing.. get one.
It will never be a GT-3 and it will never be a AMG GT. But it is perfect in between.
Appreciate 3
      01-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #2
MGRMLN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GT-R Black Edition

I agree entirely!
I daily drive my i8 and it’s suprisingly wonderful in that role. Yes, it takes some getting used to getting in and especially out. And it does attract a lot of attention so introverts may need to consider that. But if you’re looking for an efficient, sporty, lightweight and comfortable car, it’s a wonderful choice. Finally, as a used car, it’s unbelievable value for dollar. Clearly, I love mine ��
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 01:43 AM   #3
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Been thinking of getting into one but have been having double thoughts based on mixed reviews and opinions about the car...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:27 AM   #4
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Been thinking of getting into one but have been having double thoughts based on mixed reviews and opinions about the car...
What are your concerns? Happy to help. Have nothing to sell so do ask
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:28 AM   #5
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGRMLN View Post
I agree entirely!
I daily drive my i8 and it’s suprisingly wonderful in that role. Yes, it takes some getting used to getting in and especially out. And it does attract a lot of attention so introverts may need to consider that. But if you’re looking for an efficient, sporty, lightweight and comfortable car, it’s a wonderful choice. Finally, as a used car, it’s unbelievable value for dollar. Clearly, I love mine ��
I'd somewhat agree on the value for money (carbon supercar look 'n feel). Resale value.. not so much
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:29 AM   #6
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGRMLN View Post
I agree entirely!
BTW, on your statements. Hows the GT-R as a daily driver? I want one as my NSX needs to go this spring

Specificly, doing jobruns, hauling kids, runnig costs, problems, how fun is it @ 30% performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:25 PM   #7
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorgzx View Post
What are your concerns? Happy to help. Have nothing to sell so do ask
Well to be honest, just mixed opinions about the place of the car as it would relate to your life. Like is it supposed to be a super car? Is it supposed to be an above average sports car?

Does owning it give a message that you own an exotic? Something special? Or no big deal? It came priced decently up there, but the used market is not bad at all and it's dropping fast. So, what does that mean? What does it say about how it'll go in the future?

Mechanics of it, in terms of reliability? Out of warranty ownership costs? Is it like super car $? Or is it like an above average sports car money? Known issues that MUST be addressed?

And so on and so forth. You don't need to address each of these questions specifically, but I sort of just shared my confusion over the I8.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:55 AM   #8
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: scion frs

I am telling you, I can't wait to get mine in a few months ! What you said summarizes what i mostly like it for. I am a "looks" guy more than a strict performance guy and I also love having a comfortable car, since i really enjoy driving and I am looking to have some long distance drives with that baby too
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #9
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Great car to drive, quiet, comfortable, performance well beyond everyday needs, great gas mileage, super car looks, and exotic materials, so far very reliable for me.
Depreciation not really much worse than any car in the price range.
I think the car is very much under appreciated in the media.
Could be a collector car in another 10-20 years?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #10
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal i8 View Post
Great car to drive, quiet, comfortable, performance well beyond everyday needs, great gas mileage, super car looks, and exotic materials, so far very reliable for me.
Depreciation not really much worse than any car in the price range.
I think the car is very much under appreciated in the media.
Could be a collector car in another 10-20 years?
Completely agree. I've had my 2019 Coupe for 9 months now, and seem to enjoy it more each time I drive it. Looking forward to an extended road trip this Spring when I can let it really stretch its legs. As I'm leasing, I'm already thinking about whether I might buy it outright at the end of lease or get another car. If I decide on the latter, I'll probably consider the upcoming Porsche Taycan if an updated i8 is not available.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #11
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
I don’t know...
With the Taycan weight supposedly at around 4,400 lbs and the range anxiety of an all electric car.
I think I’d stick with the i8.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 07:00 PM   #12
OrmondBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: X3, i8

I have a long sweeping on-ramp near my house that I tested many BMW's on for handling. I usually push until I start to feel the car starting to lose traction and become less "planted". I've backed off from as low as 65MPH to as high as 90MPH.

I tried the i8 today and just kept pushing until I almost ran out of runway and had to back off. When I glanced my speed, I had hit 109MPH!Funny thing, the car was still tracking precisely, with the crappy stock tires, indicating more in reserve.

I've never driven a Lamborghini or a Ferrari and I'm sure they're even more capable, but honestly, the i8 delivers true everyday supercar performance with minimal drama or stress.

Is it a supercar, for 99% of the drivers on public roads, it unquestionably is.
Appreciate 3
fbuzila365.50
jcpca356164.00
Nachbar8023.00
      01-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #13
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

I've had Lambos, Porsches, AMG, M and Ferraris and about 62 other cars in my life time. I8 outhandles and out launches almost all of them. This car is a keeper. Longest I've had any supercars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmondBMW View Post
I have a long sweeping on-ramp near my house that I tested many BMW's on for handling. I usually push until I start to feel the car starting to lose traction and become less "planted". I've backed off from as low as 65MPH to as high as 90MPH.

I tried the i8 today and just kept pushing until I almost ran out of runway and had to back off. When I glanced my speed, I had hit 109MPH!Funny thing, the car was still tracking precisely, with the crappy stock tires, indicating more in reserve.

I've never driven a Lamborghini or a Ferrari and I'm sure they're even more capable, but honestly, the i8 delivers true everyday supercar performance with minimal drama or stress.

Is it a supercar, for 99% of the drivers on public roads, it unquestionably is.
      01-18-2019, 01:11 PM   #14
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

I am fairly sure I want one. I just gotta see if I get one now or wait a few months until summer is close as I would enjoy it more than anyway. Although I would drive it in winters with shit tons of snow we get.

So, was 2014 the first year for this vehicle? Are there any issues with going for a 2014 version?Reliability issues or any obvious and known big concerns? Considering it will be out of warranty pretty soon one must consider what sort of upkeep costs would one be looking at as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #15
OrmondBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: X3, i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
I am fairly sure I want one. I just gotta see if I get one now or wait a few months until summer is close as I would enjoy it more than anyway. Although I would drive it in winters with shit tons of snow we get.

So, was 2014 the first year for this vehicle? Are there any issues with going for a 2014 version?Reliability issues or any obvious and known big concerns? Considering it will be out of warranty pretty soon one must consider what sort of upkeep costs would one be looking at as well.
I can only say that when I decided to buy after my lease ended, I wanted another 16 as I felt going older was a step back. However, the more I dug in, the more I realized the Impulse package offered in 14/15 was the creme of the crop and beat the somewhat more pedestrian Tera in the 16. The only thing the 16 had over the 15 was the laser lights, which I can now say was an absolute gimmick. I much rather the light colored, softer leather and ceramic shifter of the 15.

I didn't want a 14 as I decided years ago to never own the first year of a new car.

While I could've bought a dark color 15 for high 60 a few months ago, I decided that for resale purposes, white was the more desirable color. Moreover, I found a CPO 15 for low 70's and it just made sense to me.
Appreciate 0