12-04-2023, 06:28 PM   #1
SignMD
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 iX50, 23 Mercedes EQE 500

Laserlights

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My 2023 iX came with the laserlight package. I am constantly having other drivers flashing their high beams because they think my high beams are on but they aren't. I am wondering if they are out of adjustment somehow. It happens every day on my way home from work with multiple occurrences. Anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 07:05 PM   #2
Croddlebopper
Private
Rep
Drives: IX M60, F56 Mini Cooper D

Coming from a Merc where I was always being flashed, I find the IX is much faster to react and get very few flashes.
They mostly occur during change of elevation where the other car is appearing from a dip, but I think this is just down to the fact that the oncoming vehicle lights are shadowed by the terrain - this “lay of the land” will probably trip up any system.
So the IX lasers in this regard are great, but they’re not as good at lighting up the road as the Merc.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003943.50
      12-04-2023, 07:24 PM   #3
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignMD View Post
My 2023 iX came with the laserlight package. I am constantly having other drivers flashing their high beams because they think my high beams are on but they aren't. I am wondering if they are out of adjustment somehow. It happens every day on my way home from work with multiple occurrences. Anyone else have this issue?
Happened to me too.... In my case it was on hilly roads where the low beams would shine in oncoming traffic's eyes.

I was worried about the same thing but there is a relatively easy way to check... When coming up to traffic up ahead (*edit* going the same direction as you)you can see if your lights shine at roughly the correct height on the rear of the cars in front

I concluded it is 2 things that makes people flash us on occasion:
1- the low beams are actually very bright and so when you are on a hill, they do get somewhat blinded for a short while.
2- even in low beams, there are 4 lights that are on. In some cars, the lows and highs are seperate and so it looks as if maybe your high beams are on.

Last edited by ggalanis; 12-04-2023 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 3
Road Trip1370.50
deutsch1003943.50
      12-04-2023, 09:03 PM   #4
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Happened to me too.... In my case it was on hilly roads where the low beams would shine in oncoming traffic's eyes.

I was worried about the same thing but there is a relatively easy way to check... When coming up to traffic up ahead you can see if your lights shine at roughly the correct height.

I concluded it is 2 things that makes people flash us on occasion:
1- the low beams are actually very bright and so when you are on a hill, they do get somewhat blinded for a short while.
2- even in low beams, there are 4 lights that are on. In some cars, the lows and highs are seperate and so it looks as if maybe your high beams are on.
I noticed on the drive home that everyone that I passed on the highway seemed to have their brights on; so I thought that my headlights weren’t aimed correctly also. But, I realised the offside door mirror isn’t electrochromic in nature, so doesn’t automatically ’dim’ the headlights of vehicles behind you. How damn cheap is that? Could BMW really not afford an additional $20 to have the passenger side door mirror react to dim lights like the driver’s side? 😂
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003943.50