BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

10-06-2021, 05:49 AM   #1
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

So, up until yesterday I've been simply juicing up the i3 and driving it like a regular ICE car.
Hit some traffic on the interstate and decided to throw the car in ECO mode and pay attention to the swing of the power meter on the dash. Started holding off the acceleration down hills and trying to keep the indicator in the center or to the left to charge, no manual braking.
Got damn. I started getting miles back. Not just one or two, but 5 to 15!

Usually, the drive one way on a full charge knocks me down just about one bar.
Round trip without going anywhere else, knocks me down a full two bars. Round trip is 60 miles.
Thing is, I wasn't fully charged that day and drove from home to work with a partially charged first bar.
Yeah, I'm all shocked that it worked because somewhere in my head I thought all the eco stuff was all an over sold gimmick BMW used to hype up the sale of the car. Like that Volkswagen emissions scandal recall rebate thing a while back.

Yes, I know there are YouTube videos of people getting miles back, but they were super into it almost making it like it was work just to drive. Well, I actually enjoyed the challenge of changing my driving habit to eco friendly. Also avoided getting into a few accidents from coasting to charge.

So got back home and hopped in the back seat of the car in garage research the car more (I do this a lot because, it's my car and I never get to sit back there, don't judge me). I watched the owners manual videos and did some reading.

After reading and watching all the vids, got to the dash and set up the car through the menus and radio number buttons.
Husband strolls in, rolls his eyes smiling because he pre-ordered the iX.. (asshole) and chucks in an envelope .. free SiriusXM for 3 months…. Next thing I know, I got the little doggie on the screen and I'm tuned into channel 53- chill.

I still want to see how much battery degradation I have. I know it's in the side button menu somewhere where you have to add up the vin numbers to unlock the secret menu. I may toy with it this weekend.
Might even get bimmercode but scared I'll eff up my car though
Appreciate 1
soheil64.50
      10-06-2021, 08:31 AM   #2
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGoGoMoto View Post
Might even get bimmercode but scared I'll eff up my car though
The fun stuff is all menu-driven, and IIRC it takes a backup before every configuration write. Not much risk of breaking anything, as long as you stay out of advanced mode.

I have my car start up in Eco mode every time it turns on (Bimmercode setting?), but raised the speed limit a tad to work on my commute. The throttle pedal curve in Eco mode seems way more civilized than it is in Comfort mode, and that is a good thing when driving in snow or rain.....
soheil64.50