Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

02-24-2021, 01:45 AM   #1
jezza211
Rep
Drives: BMW I8 Porsche Cayenne

Hv batt S box

So, after having the drivetrain fault come a few times after car sitting for 10 days, put a 12v battery in it. Was ok for a while then drivetrain fault again.... tilt tray to dealer and they replaced the ac water heater and its cable . get the car back and it faulted out again
Took it back and they want to check hv battery, ok still has warranty for hv batt. So they take it out and decide the S box in the battery is the problem.
By the way, this is in Thailand and the car us Uk import
So now the s box component of the hv battery is not covered by the hv battery warranty....WTF
We're having a bit of an ongoimg conversation regarding bullshit but i think uk law protects me from their misinterpretation of the warranty.
Anyone had this crap pulled on them before ?
Its only a couple of thousand to fix and really just want the car back but u suspect it will fault out again when it does.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
necropsyblade
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

What are the error codes that show up with the Drivetrain fault?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 06:50 AM   #3
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza211 View Post
So now the s box component of the hv battery is not covered by the hv battery warranty....WTF
We're having a bit of an ongoimg conversation regarding bullshit but i think uk law protects me from their misinterpretation of the warranty.
Anyone had this crap pulled on them before ?
Its only a couple of thousand to fix and really just want the car back but u suspect it will fault out again when it does.

Yes, the SME module is not covered by the high voltage battery warranty. My friend evapors on YouTube had his car towed to the dealer because his parking brake module failed. When it got there, they saw a check engine light (that was not on when he sent it to BMW) and they found the SME module inside the high voltage battery enclosure failed, so they dropped the enclosure and replaced it. They couldn't get it programmed, so BMW in Germany remotely connected to their dealership and they couldn't get it programmed to the car, either. So, they tried a 2nd module. Still failed. So they told him they needed to replace all the battery wiring. That didn't fix the problem, either. So they tested each battery module and decided maybe the HV battery was the issue. Those modules were replaced under warranty. The cost to him for the other parts and labor was $5,000 USD. The car was at the dealer for 20 weeks. He sold it a couple weeks after he got it back because he doesn't trust that another component on the car will set him back even more money and time.

03-02-2021, 08:14 PM   #4
jezza211
Rep
Drives: BMW I8 Porsche Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropsyblade View Post
What are the error codes that show up with the Drivetrain fault?
So many its not funny will post what bmw says about fault codea when i can, deep obd2 gave meat least 100 different codes which i have cleared ans got the car going several times now.
The most consistent thing i see is 12v hattery down to 11.9 when faults are present and pops back to 14.3 when cleared...
Now AG says all to be covered by hv batt warranrty, yay.
It would seem they know they would run foul of uk consumer law so now everything inside hv batt housing is covered
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 07:11 PM   #5
necropsyblade
Registered
Rep

I've had similar experience in that when the error occurs the voltage is 12.7 but when the error is not there it is 14.3 ..like yours. I somehow assume this is because the error shuts off the HV battery from charging the the 12v.
When you say 'AG says all to be covered.." who is AG? I would have liked it if my local dealer in Trinidad would even look at the car.. but they refuse! since they haven't brought in any electrics as yet. I'm still hoping to change a cell supervising circuit and see if this works.. but I know pulling down this battery train will not be easy.. particularly with those cooling lines!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 12:15 PM   #6
chris_1M
Private First Class
Rep

AG is the "mothership" in Munich Germany.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 08:44 AM   #7
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza211 View Post
So many its not funny will post what bmw says about fault codea when i can, deep obd2 gave meat least 100 different codes which i have cleared ans got the car going several times now.
The most consistent thing i see is 12v hattery down to 11.9 when faults are present and pops back to 14.3 when cleared...
Now AG says all to be covered by hv batt warranrty, yay.
It would seem they know they would run foul of uk consumer law so now everything inside hv batt housing is covered
how many miles on this i8? and what is the year of the car. Does anyone have a clue as to whether it is miles the car, or just age, that causes this issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 09:00 AM   #8
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

how many miles on cars with this issue? And age, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsgarageonline View Post
Yes, the SME module is not covered by the high voltage battery warranty. My friend evapors on YouTube had his car towed to the dealer because his parking brake module failed. When it got there, they saw a check engine light (that was not on when he sent it to BMW) and they found the SME module inside the high voltage battery enclosure failed, so they dropped the enclosure and replaced it. They couldn't get it programmed, so BMW in Germany remotely connected to their dealership and they couldn't get it programmed to the car, either. So, they tried a 2nd module. Still failed. So they told him they needed to replace all the battery wiring. That didn't fix the problem, either. So they tested each battery module and decided maybe the HV battery was the issue. Those modules were replaced under warranty. The cost to him for the other parts and labor was $5,000 USD. The car was at the dealer for 20 weeks. He sold it a couple weeks after he got it back because he doesn't trust that another component on the car will set him back even more money and time.

and on this one as well, same question: how many miles on this i8? and what is the year of the car? Does anyone have a clue as to whether it is miles on the car, or just age that causes this issue?

we should start a sticky thread for this issue, so people can chime in as it escalates--or does not escalate--and figure out if its a lemon problem, or a certainty that all i8s will face, down the road.

for example:

With the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) issue on the E66 760Li, we at first thought it was miles, only, since the the cars were newer. People with 10 year old cars that started to crest 100-130k miles or more, suddenly popped up with the issue--and they all eventually developed it. Then, as they got older, I bought a 2004 with 59k miles in 2018. It had the issue the moment I got it home. So, it was also age that caused a cheap diaphragm in the $2500 pump (there are two pumps + labor) to go bad and split or get a hole in it and leak gas into your throttle body. The pump is special and only made for the 760Li (V12 motor only) and the Rolls Royce.

why is this important? because it would brick the cars and make people want to sell them. Just like this issue is starting to do.

I'm not saying we can DIY this problem, but on my first HPFP failure, I sent a used pump to a DI fuel pump expert in Canada, who tore it down and figured out it was in perfect shape--except for a diaphragm that Bosch would NOT sell us. So I set about figuring out how to replace the diaphragm with used parts from Audi and VW Bosch Diesel TDI pumps from Europe, since there was nothing like it in the U.S. Now, we have board members making inexpensive replacement diaphragms out of material they can get from Continental. And dozens of copy-cat videos (of my original video) of how to repair the pumps.

by the time I bought the low-miles 760li, I had confidence I could contact my forum pal, buy some diaphragms, and get the car back on the road for $100.

It might be possible to encourage a 3rd party company to help figure this out. Like Gruber.

any pathology information we can gather is very important, please.

Last edited by mws; 03-30-2021 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0