BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
FrannyB
Rep
Drives: 2015 Ionic Silver i8

New (to me) i8!

Hi Everyone,

I'm a little late to the party, but we just picked up a used i8 and totally loving it! I've been lurking on this forum for a while. It has been a tremendous help! Thanks!

The car is a 2015 in Ionic silver with the frosted blue accents. The interior is a dark gray leather with the faintest blue stitching. At first, I really wanted a white with the light interior, but I think I really like this color combo. The Silver is subtle but still allows for the black and blue to stand out. Gotta have the "W" wheels

The car has 16K miles and still has the remainder of the warranty left (10 mo or so). Full service before we bought it including all maintenance, but also a new turbo and return line (saw the thread on that), new plugs, coolant tank replacement, programming, and fuel tank pressure tank switch replacement (saw the thread on that too).

This thing is awesome! We are a classic car household, so this thing is like a spaceship! The weather here in CO is a bit crappy so more driving in a bit, but it is super fun.

I am a bit confused on the different trim levels of the 2015 cars... I'll do some more reading. This car has the black brake calipers and the anthracite headliner, but no leather on the engine cover. Black seat belts, but full leather seats/dash/door cards. The dealership (McLaren) said it was the top trim (Pure Impulse), and I can't prove otherwise, but not sure... Paid mid 70s. Whatever... Car is super cool!

Anyhoo, just wanted to say Hi!

Franny
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
fbuzila365.50
meko177.00
      01-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #2
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Beautiful car. Love the tinted windows, which I added to my car as well. Adds an elegant touch to an already spectacular looking car. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
FrannyB
Rep

Thanks! Funny you mention the tint... I have been wondering about that... Does it make it feel smaller inside than before you had it? I do like how it continues the black color line nicely. This is the first car I've owned with tinting.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
Barago
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8/ghibli

I have a leased white on black 2016 with Giga....yours looks like a Giga and not a pure impulse (the door sills and other options lead me to believe). The PI is usually tan or brown vs gray/black on those years. Still great value with those miles and the PI isn’t a game changer to me.

I really like the silver on dark interior and W wheels. I have the turbines (which was a must have for me 2 years ago) but now I’m appreciating the W especially on the silver car.

Also I think your car looks really great with current tint- leave it on.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #5
FrannyB
Rep

Thanks for that! Everything I read on the trim levels seemed to contradict each other I wondered about the brown. Don't think that would really work with those colors... Do you know anything about the brake caliper color? Are yours silver or black?

The white is stunning too - the color I had in mind originally. It really pops!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #6
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Great looking car.
I also agree that you have a Giga World version.

I think you will appreciate the dark grey interior versus the white. The seats tend to wear quickly and the white in my experience doesn’t look as good when it starts to wear and gets dirty easily. I’m glad I have the dark grey also.

I have never seen an i8 with any other color caliper than black. They may exist, but never seen one.

Last edited by Coastali8; 01-12-2019 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #7
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: scion frs

Looks amazing, have fun ! Can't wait to get mine in a few months. At this mileage, you probably paid somewhere between 65-70k for this one right ?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:15 PM   #8
FrannyB
Rep

Yup... Mid 70s. Tires are almost new... The photos are from the test drive. I bet you are super excited! Love to see it when you get it!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 05:10 AM   #9
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: scion frs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyB View Post
Yup... Mid 70s. Tires are almost new... The photos are from the test drive. I bet you are super excited! Love to see it when you get it!
You don't say I am so looking forward to it, I really love this car. Also love that the value of them in the secondary market drops every month. Although I will be buying it in Switzerland, I am currently living in California and I am easily finding i8s at the 65-70k range (lowest being 64k at the moment). I will probably be getting it in about 8-10 months and aiming for the 2015 model, I think I will probably be able to snatch one for 60k or even less.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 05:36 AM   #10
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Love the car and certainly the best colour for me, which is why I chose Ionic silver too.

I can tell that you’ve had tyre work since the fitters have put the rear alloys on the wrong sides. I found this out that hard way, the alloys are directional but the tyres aren’t. Just look at the “W” on the front wheel and compare it to the “W” on the rear... they’re different. The rear wheels need swapping over so that they match the front. This won’t affect the tyres as long as you have the correct BMW tyres fitted.

I had this with my turbines that are fitted to my i8 that I bought second hand from a BMW dealer, you would think they would know better. The alloys are designed to aid cooling to the brakes so they really need to be right.

It’s surprising how many i8s are out there like this! For me it’s an OCD thing!!

Can’t help with the interior, mine has an embossed i8 symbol on the headrests which I was told was the best trim but I really don’t know.

Enjoy it, I’m sure you will!
Appreciate 1
Rebound152.50
      01-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #11
FrannyB
Rep

That is why I love this forum! I never would have caught that! I'll get that sorted. Thanks for that!

As for the level, I believe you are all correct. "Giga". Pure Impulse has several key features... Logo on the threshold, black gloss shifter, embossed headrests, leather engine cover, leather trim around floor mats. I have seen it in the white/black interior (there is one at Ralph Schomp BMW in Littleton, CO right now). Giga would be the perforated leather, brushed AL ring on the steering wheel, possibly anthracite headliner? (I think an option on this car) Velour Floor Mats. Wow... And I thought Porsche was confusing

Thanks so much everyone! Always fun to lean about a new car

f
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #12
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Thanks! Funny you mention the tint... I have been wondering about that... Does it make it feel smaller inside than before you had it? I do like how it continues the black color line nicely. This is the first car I've owned with tinting.
No, I can't say that the tint makes it feel smaller inside to me. My only complaint is how the rear hatch glass tint causes some distortion in headlights from trailing cars at night. Not a big deal, but it was a bit of a surprise to me. But I do love the exterior aesthetics with the tint and it does seem to keep the car cooler inside under summer sun conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #13
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
But I do love the exterior aesthetics with the tint and it does seem to keep the car cooler inside under summer sun conditions.
Not such an issue in the UK!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #14
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I8

Contrats on the car its a stunner. I've just been watching a video on youtube and thought 'wait a minute, I've seen that scenery before' and sure enough here you are.
Great vid!
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=c49hESiYuCA
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 02:44 PM   #15
FrannyB
Rep

Thanks! Yup... That's us We will post more as I start to figure things out on this crazy car

Franny
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #16
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3, no mods,no probs

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Congrats! I bought my 2015 when lease was up because I like it that much ( not the most fiscal sense though). No problems with the car and so fun to drive. There are many haters out there on rennlist in particular— this car is not a 911 but it's not trying to be that, and it's way more comfortable.....tucked away for the winter and I miss it ( driving the new M5 for winter and I won't be staying in this lease, not as fun as the i8)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #17
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanesso View Post
Congrats! I bought my 2015 when lease was up because I like it that much ( not the most fiscal sense though). No problems with the car and so fun to drive. There are many haters out there on rennlist in particular— this car is not a 911 but it's not trying to be that, and it's way more comfortable.....tucked away for the winter and I miss it ( driving the new M5 for winter and I won't be staying in this lease, not as fun as the i8)
did you buy the car at the full residual value or managed to negotiate some with BMWFS?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 07:01 PM   #18
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3, no mods,no probs

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Just a tad below full residual...
Appreciate 1
fbuzila365.50
      01-28-2019, 08:26 PM   #19
bimmerless
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 Convertible

awesome looking i8
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 12:02 AM   #20
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33: The 435i Convertible

This car will surely be a classic in twenty years or so. They look absolutely fantastic.
Appreciate 0