forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Custom Made Iconic Glow Grill

08-04-2022, 05:42 AM   #23
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Coulda used red LEDs and then taped a couple of rubber steak chew toys to it (lol). As several others have opined, I respect your innovation and craft, but I prefer subtlety over glitz. But what do I know? I don't hang Xmas lights on my house either.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 01:56 AM   #24
LiquidSkyLegend
BMW Newbie, be gentle.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive SportLine

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
Coulda used red LEDs and then taped a couple of rubber steak chew toys to it (lol). As several others have opined, I respect your innovation and craft, but I prefer subtlety over glitz. But what do I know? I don't hang Xmas lights on my house either.
I have an LED strip 12" long. Want to light up when the fins open. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO DO HAVE THIS COME ON WHEN MY HEADLIGHTS GO ON? Any ideas, suggestions ect for my grille and the lighting. If someone can help with wiring and placement, that would I have to use what I have.

I have a 2020 BMW 330i xDrive Sport Line.

Thanks!!! First post
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 03:58 AM   #25
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKD_OUT_BMR View Post
I wanted to add a glow to my grill on my '22 X7 and after seeing how ridiculous the prices on aftermarket grilles were ($4k was the lowest price I saw so far), I decided to put my circuit city road shop skills to use and do it my way, for a shit ton cheaper too. I will eventually put the parts list on here, but the LEDs themselves were from Amazon for $18, link here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I started off by removing the grill itself which is fairly easy. (Six tabs to push down while gently pulling on the grill. The LEDs themselves are in a 3 strip and you will only need about 8 of these. Of course, you can but different LEDs that may work better, but these seemed to work perfectly.

Next I lined up the LEDs to see the layout and best fit. I put blue tape where the center LED would be centered, and the other slots, one LED would cover two slots. Again, I am sure there are better LEDs I could have used, but was working with what I had.

Next I used a pick tool to make my markings on where I needed to drill a hole. I taped off a unibit after i figured out the size hole I needed, along with a right angled dewalt drill, was able to perfectly drill between the slots.

Once I got all the holes drilled and everything lined up, i used high temp hot glue to lock these LEDs in place.

Lastly I routed the wires to the DRL on the passenger side, adding in a small relay (Directed Electronics 8616 - Black to ground, Red to DRL power wire, Yellow to battery, Brown to LEDs in Grill, Orange not used) so DRL would flip the relay and the LEDs would get power from the battery instead of pulling more voltage through the DRL wire and possibly blowing a fuse. (DRL shown, relay not shown)

And here are some finished product pictures.

*Video of remote start and deactivation*
(My favorite part has to be when the fins open after the car starts)
https://youtu.be/Jgv-2xnLUrw

Hope you all enjoyed and let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

If I understand correctly, you directly took it from the only 12V sourc to the headlight, so as soon there is 12V to headlight these turn on?
The AL_R_V+ wiring in the wiring diagram, correct?

Let's see if I can do this mod to my X1, looks cool
Attached Images
File Type: pdf X7 G07 - Led Headlight Wiring Diagram.pdf (254.0 KB, 17 views)
      01-09-2024, 02:42 PM   #26
cavalierx7
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X7

Nice effort man, appreciate you sharing it on the forum. My only concern would be it highlights how dirty that grill gets lol.. nice work!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 07:37 PM   #27
PunsGalore
BMW Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive Wagon

Not for me, but good job! It’s your car, and therefore you can do what you would like with it 😇
Appreciate 0