07e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Do you think the new i7 make the iX outdated

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
i7 is the flagship EV so I understand a lot of fancy features and luxury feels/items being added onto it, iX50 isn’t under the same category, (i.e. comparing ICE 7 to X5 isn’t fair), but man, now I wonder should I keep my iX order or wait for the i7 or even iX70
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 10:01 PM   #2
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
So a mid-sized SUV, a luxury sedan or a large SUV.... That's a pretty broad spread! Sure you're not ready for a drop-top two seater, a van or an RV?
Appreciate 4
cruzer6661237.00
volodp196.50
deutsch1003943.50
      04-20-2022, 10:20 PM   #3
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

I am still debating between the iX or the X7 LCI this fall. I was hoping the X7 LCI would have gotten more of the new tech the new 7er is getting, but looks like all that extra tech and the iX7 (or a plug-in hybrid variant) probably wont happen until a few years from now when the next gen X7 comes out.

But yeah, like Paladin said It’s a pretty wide range between those 3 models. Although for the price, I’d liked to have seen the iX get a little more tech/options.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 10:42 PM   #4
asrgt
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Not bashing but is this an honest cross shop ? an IX and an i7 while both electric ... that's it one is a limo the other an suv. Also there not even in the same realm price point wise at least not in most regions outside of the US. Example the i7 will start at close to 70k more than an IX 40 here, sure there both a ton of cash but they don't compete in the same segment or price point not even remotely.

As for outdated ! they share the same drive units , batteries, interior elements like the idrive controller surface, seat controls, id8 ect . There are also design elements in the i7 that are a clear nod to the IX. If anything the i7 and the IX are solidifying BMWs new design direction especially when it comes to interiors and I would argue are more complementarity to each other more so than making one feel outdated or obsolete.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 01:23 AM   #5
UltimateMoneyShifter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07e92 View Post
i7 is the flagship EV so I understand a lot of fancy features and luxury feels/items being added onto it, iX50 isn't under the same category, (i.e. comparing ICE 7 to X5 isn't fair), but man, now I wonder should I keep my iX order or wait for the i7 or even iX70
The 7 series seems to be the technology and luxury flagship and the i7 happens to be an EV.

I still think the iX is BMW's flagship EV since it is built on a bespoke EV platform and the i7 isn't.

There is only so much I would compromise on in terms of overall efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 08:19 AM   #6
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
The thing that is interesting is that there is a different philosophy between the two cars:

i7 is basically compromising the EV aspect (reduced range and efficiency) in order to have a more normal look (e.g. grille at front, not aero optimized), feel (BMW-level luxury interior) and experience (e.g. all the features and finishes on the inside which undoubtedly add weight). The reduced range is a big deal IMO - because remember the 300 mile figure is a global number, so US EPA number may be lower. Also it is best case with cloth interior and base wheels. Upgrade wheels and leather, add full options, account for realistic US EPA number, and the range could be 250 or less. That is not great.

iX is drawing on the Tesla playbook - more aero optimized, more minimalist to save weight, but at the cost of not delivering a proper luxury interior or full set of luxury features.

SO arguably the iX is the more modern vehicle, but it will be interesting to see which philosophy wins. It seems BMW is moving in the direction of the i7, and when the iX7 and iX5 come out, then the iX will be a weird orphan in the line up.
Appreciate 3
07e92121.00
KRS_SN13520.50
ted99242.00
      04-21-2022, 08:23 AM   #7
venom21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50 Tesla MYP Prev: 530e

There is always going to be something new and shiny. Just forget about it and enjoy whichever car you get.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 10:09 AM   #8
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

The i7 is a failed EV from the start. Why? Because it is not bespoke. There shouldn't be a transmission tunnel in an EV, yet here it is! Same with the i3 and i4. BMW thinks that having an EV version of its ICE sedans, using the same physical body, is a good idea. Maybe if you're coming from an ICE and have never experienced anything better, but not if you're coming from an EV or know anything about EVs. Come on, BMW!

Shared platforms are so utterly inefficient and a bad look, to be honest. Would you buy a brand new iPad if there was a floppy drive strapped to it? Of course not. That's what BMW's new EVs (except the iX) are all about. Under the hood they are a hideous hydra of hoses and components that look to be assembled by people who don't understand the term "packaging".

The only reason I'm considering the iX at all is because it is a bespoke, mostly ground-up EV design that is unmatched by any other BMW model, including the i7. BMW desperately needs a shake up in leadership.
Appreciate 3
07e92121.00
ted99242.00
      04-21-2022, 10:28 AM   #9
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
The i7 is a failed EV from the start. Why? Because it is not bespoke. There shouldn't be a transmission tunnel in an EV, yet here it is! Same with the i3 and i4. BMW thinks that having an EV version of its ICE sedans, using the same physical body, is a good idea. Maybe if you're coming from an ICE and have never experienced anything better, but not if you're coming from an EV or know anything about EVs. Come on, BMW!

Shared platforms are so utterly inefficient and a bad look, to be honest. Would you buy a brand new iPad if there was a floppy drive strapped to it? Of course not. That's what BMW's new EVs (except the iX) are all about. Under the hood they are a hideous hydra of hoses and components that look to be assembled by people who don't understand the term "packaging".

The only reason I'm considering the iX at all is because it is a bespoke, mostly ground-up EV design that is unmatched by any other BMW model, including the i7. BMW desperately needs a shake up in leadership.
It's a transitional phase. They need/want to get more EV models in the showroom and shared ICE platforms are a more cost effective way to do so compared to a ground up bespoke platform. They've decided not to use the iX platform for other vehicles while the NK Platform is in development and will be here in 3 years or so. So be it. Until then, they'll sell the iX as a bespoke EV and cars like the i4 and i7 as a shared ICE platform. Vote with your wallet if you don't want a "compromised" EV. Get an iX or another brand's bespoke EV, or wait for what you want.
Appreciate 3
rccarps2340.50
volodp196.50
NomoTesla2171.50
      04-21-2022, 11:50 AM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird~Dawg View Post
It's a transitional phase. They need/want to get more EV models in the showroom and shared ICE platforms are a more cost effective way to do so compared to a ground up bespoke platform. They've decided not to use the iX platform for other vehicles while the NK Platform is in development and will be here in 3 years or so. So be it. Until then, they'll sell the iX as a bespoke EV and cars like the i4 and i7 as a shared ICE platform. Vote with your wallet if you don't want a "compromised" EV. Get an iX or another brand's bespoke EV, or wait for what you want.
I also think that what they are doing provides some differentiation. There is a segment of ICE owners that are interested in EVs but who want something that looks and feels traditional. The i7 and BMW's broader strategy caters to that group. Even thought it is a compromised product I think it will do well.
Appreciate 1
NomoTesla2171.50
      04-21-2022, 02:05 PM   #11
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
I dislike the front end, really dislike the rear. The side view is interesting. But it’s all a disappointment as soon as you open the doors because the shared ICE/EV CLAR underpinnings hinder the packaging of the i7. It simply doesn’t feel like a major step up in the same way that the iX does. It doesn’t even have the hexagon steering wheel which is mean to facilitate better L3 Autonomy (when that becomes available). The true next gen 7 will come after 2025 when BMW switches to the new Nueu Klasse platform. Until then…CLAR it is.

Its all just so very meh…just another 7 series with controversial looks that people will talk about for years. At least the new 7 and x7 with their Hyundai split light design and flared nostrils take the heat of the iX. Hell, it makes the iX look pedestrian by comparison.
Appreciate 1
NomoTesla2171.50
      04-21-2022, 02:44 PM   #12
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

The 7 series has been a bit of a snoozer for a while so I think they needed to go big and they did. Overall it's an interesting design. I'd like to see it in-person before making any final judgement. The ALPINA version should be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 03:22 PM   #13
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

The new 7 Series is the only BMW I think looks better with the luxury line trim than with the M Sport trim. Interior is great, but the front end is just a big no from me. Even if it looks better in person, as the iX does, I still dislike the split headlights.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 04:25 PM   #14
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
But it’s all a disappointment as soon as you open the doors because the shared ICE/EV CLAR underpinnings hinder the packaging of the i7.
I am not sure if you can gain much from any "better packaging", apart from the elimination of transmission tunnel.

It already has tons of rooms. You don't really need to free up more space. The only thing is that you maybe able to get the same amount of room with smaller exterior dimension - but that may not be wanted by the target demographics.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 09:33 AM   #15
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
I am not sure if you can gain much from any "better packaging", apart from the elimination of transmission tunnel.

It already has tons of rooms. You don't really need to free up more space. The only thing is that you maybe able to get the same amount of room with smaller exterior dimension - but that may not be wanted by the target demographics.
The lack of a frunk alone tells you there is a packaging problem, iX included.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 11:53 PM   #16
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
The lack of a frunk alone tells you there is a packaging problem, iX included.
I disagree.
Plenty of EV based on dedicated EV platform do not have frunk - including ID.4, Lyriq, EQS, EQS SUV.

Having a frunk is purely a design choice.
And it happens because the EV was designed to maintain ICE car proportion - keeping a long hood when there is no other reason to do so. A better packaging is to have a shorter hood freeing up more space at the passenger and cargo area.
Appreciate 1
NomoTesla2171.50