BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

04-22-2022, 09:10 PM   #23
Maverick241
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3e, X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Something that needs to be more openly discussed is the reality that these vehicles are not available for a very long time. If placing an order now, 12-14 month wait, at a minimum, unless your willing to pay significantly above MSRP.
It’s not that long.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 09:26 PM   #24
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick241 View Post
Quote:
Something that needs to be more openly discussed is the reality that these vehicles are not available for a very long time. If placing an order now, 12-14 month wait, at a minimum, unless your willing to pay significantly above MSRP.
It’s not that long.
Let us all know how long yours takes.
      04-23-2022, 02:36 AM   #25
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I wanna get the iX but will wait for the LCI or when the cargo space and Design improves. Till then, will enjoy the X5 40i.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2294.00
      04-23-2022, 03:09 AM   #26
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
I wanna get the iX but will wait for the LCI or when the cargo space and Design improves. Till then, will enjoy the X5 40i.
Wait for the BEV X5 which will use the next platform design.
Appreciate 2
volodp196.50
      04-23-2022, 03:13 AM   #27
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
I don’t think there will be an LCI of the iX and if there is it’s unlikely to feature any significant changes to the EV packaging.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 05:32 AM   #28
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
I've owned way too many BMWs (20+) over the years. My latest is a 2021 X5 40i. I also have a Kia EV6 which is my first EV. The EV6 is surprisingly good - better than the Model Y for me.

I've been hesitant to drive the iX. Some early pictures bothered me a bit and I couldn't see how BMW would improve on the X5 50i much less some other EVs.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

The iX is a phenomenal piece of engineering. My favorite BMW that I've driven. The power is obvious, but the overall dynamics of it is amazing. Wonderful open cabin with great seats that added to the experience. Yes, I really liked it

I'm sure others have nitpicked the dumb cupholders. I'm also not a fan of a push button to open the door and some of the dumbing down of the interface to the car. iDrive 8 is new to me, I need more time with it. Also miss the extra cargo space the X5 has.

I drove the X5 45e right after the iX. The 45e is a great SUV but just wasn't close to the iX in handling or suspension. I love the X5, but it felt dated compared to the iX.

My dealer said they will have some iX models for sale soon. They are from people that cancelled their orders. So I may get a shot at one before my order is made in the fall.

Congrats to those who already have an iX. I'm sure the first year teething will be a challenge, but it is an amazing ride.
Could not agree more. My wife was one of those people who pre ordered within the first month itself and we are expecting to get our iX in June. We've been looking for cancelled orders but nothing yet. We also drove one recently and it IS amazing. I have driven ALL current X5 models and my wife has a Model Y Performance now. The iX is better than all! Yes, the front is polarizing, but my wife thinks it's fine. Her money and car, so all good 👍🏻 My 14 year old daughter liked the styling of the iX, said it looked cool with presence. The one we ordered is nicer than the one we drove, which had a very nicely done interior.

Living with an EV for over a year now, I can confidently say we will always have an EV going forward.
Appreciate 2
volodp196.50
      04-23-2022, 05:35 AM   #29
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wish it had a frunk. But when we checked it out the rear trunk space and interior space is pretty good. The interior is much more spacious than the X5 and more comfortable as well IMHO.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2022, 08:39 AM   #30
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
I wish it had a frunk. But when we checked it out the rear trunk space and interior space is pretty good. The interior is much more spacious than the X5 and more comfortable as well IMHO.
I had a frunk for 8 years and never used it. Having a frunk is highly overrated.
Appreciate 2
volodp196.50
      04-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #31
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
Quote:
I had a frunk for 8 years and never used it. Having a frunk is highly overrated.
The frunk was marketed as the best thing since sliced bread so now everyone who never had one thinks it's the cat's a$$ and a must have. Any vehicle that doesn't have one MUST be poorly packaged, shoddily designed, the manufacturer just doesn't understand how to build an EV as well as Tesla… it's amusing if you maintain your perspective.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 08:54 AM   #32
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I wish my X5 had a frunk. Oh, wait, that's where the engine is!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 09:22 AM   #33
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I use it on our Model Y. It's a nice to have in certain situations. However, for the iX there is plenty of space and in pictures I think it does not appear that way.

BMW could make the PHEV with 100 miles with fast charging range and it would be the best of all worlds IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 09:22 AM   #34
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird~Dawg View Post
The frunk was marketed as the best thing since sliced bread so now everyone who never had one thinks it's the cat's a$$ and a must have. Any vehicle that doesn't have one MUST be poorly packaged, shoddily designed, the manufacturer just doesn't understand how to build an EV as well as Tesla… it's amusing if you maintain your perspective.
Well, I do agree somewhat about the packaging part. The practicality and usefulness of it, not so much. But yes, I do look at it as a sign of efficient design and packaging.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 09:26 AM   #35
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I have a frunk on the e-tron and I open it maybe once every six months. It has some charging cables in it that I've never used.

The thing is, they generally aren't designed with convenient access. It's not like you're going to go shopping or head off to school and toss your bag in the frunk. Maybe if some EV had a button on the key fob to open the frunk it would be more convenient to use.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 09:28 AM   #36
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I have a frunk on the e-tron and I open it maybe once every six months. It has some charging cables in it that I've never used.

The thing is, they generally aren't designed with convenient access. It's not like you're going to go shopping or head off to school and toss your bag in the frunk. Maybe if some EV had a button on the key fob to open the frunk it would be more convenient to use.
Model S and Model X have had frunks that can be opened with the key fob since 2012.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 09:31 AM   #37
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Quote:

Model S and Model X have had frunks that can be opened with the key fob since 2012.
Yeah the premium models, but not the 3 and Y, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 09:51 AM   #38
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Well, I do agree somewhat about the packaging part. The practicality and usefulness of it, not so much. But yes, I do look at it as a sign of efficient design and packaging.
It could also be a bit of the opposite, wasteful - "after designing this car we had all this leftover space we didn't know what to do with, so here's a storage compartment".

It hard to really say which design is more efficient or "better". It's just a space swap - Tesla pushes all of the equipment that goes under the front hood toward the passenger compartment and under the dash - behind the front wheels. If we Google photos we can see how the fluids and 12v battery are sort of shoved back under the windshield. It's just taking space from one part of the car and pushing it to the front. Its almost like it was made that way because they wanted a frunk.

The question I guess is if BMW is putting the equipment above the wheels and keeping it in the engine bay, what does BMW do with the space behind the wheels that Tesla puts their equipment in? Do they just remove it to make a shorter car? Or is the space added to the cabin? Or is it just an empty cavern?

Sure, Tesla may have some slightly smaller components or they have jammed everything together tightly so it takes slightly less space but that isn't going to account for the full size of that frunk.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 09:59 AM   #39
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I see, yeah I thought those electric frunk struts were just an aftermarket thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 10:06 AM   #40
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
It's hard to make an attractive car with a low coefficient of drag of 0.25 CD. Just ask Mercedes and Tesla.
Or you could take a peek at Lucid for how it can be done.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 10:22 AM   #41
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Or you could take a peek at Lucid for how it can be done.
Yes. All designs with low CD share some common themes that some hold against the iX in the looks department. iX is not unique in this regard.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 03:03 PM   #42
gotzillar
Private
Rep
Drives: 992S,X7M50i,EV6,TaycanGTS ST

Quote:
I see, yeah I thought those electric frunk struts were just an aftermarket thing.
Can be opened but it's not with electric struts. I only used my frunk on model x once a year. I use my 911 frunk pretty often though.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 03:40 PM   #43
Maverick241
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3e, X5 45e

Quote:
Let us all know how long yours takes.
Will do, it’s going to be far less that a year I can tell you that for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 03:50 PM   #44
SFCruiser
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne

Quote:
I owned a Tesla Model S for two years and *never* used the frunk. Nice to know it was there, but the frunk wasn't a functional element that was used.
Appreciate 1