tankertoad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 e46 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzillar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I see, yeah I thought those electric frunk struts were just an aftermarket thing.
Can be opened but it's not with electric struts. I only used my frunk on model x once a year. I use my 911 frunk pretty often though.
Same. I used my 911 frunk as a trunk, as carry-on stowage was easier than wedging it into the rear seats.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2022, 06:50 PM   #46
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I like having a frunk because it is very practical for grocery shopping. In a trunk, you have so much space, that your grocery bags can slide around and fall over. You can install a trunk organizer to avoid this, but now you have another object which prevents you from using it to carry large objects.

A frunk is the ideal setup for grocery shopping. You can line up a few bags. They won't slide around if you pack it in. And you can leave your trunk open without an organizer for the occasions you want to carry a suitcase or a large object.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 06:58 PM   #47
npa201
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 m50i, IX 50, Rivian R1S

I have a Tesla Model Y and I don’t use the frunk for that purpose. Instead the handiest storage section of the Y IMO is the lower “sub-trunk” or whatever you would call it where a spare tire would go for older ICE vehicles. Incredibly useful. The BMW IX has something similar but it appears significantly smaller but I hope to use it that way as well. Probably the most logical reason to use the frunk for me would be for takeout food that It bought smells pretty strong…but honestly have not run into that situation yet.
Appreciate 1
FCX52380.50
      04-23-2022, 09:10 PM   #48
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
I wanna get the iX but will wait for the LCI or when the cargo space and Design improves. Till then, will enjoy the X5 40i.
I wish it had a frunk. But when we checked it out the rear trunk space and interior space is pretty good. The interior is much more spacious than the X5 and more comfortable as well IMHO.
Thanks, that helps.
Still, if you have an X5 it would be worth waiting for the iX LCI. By then they would have figured out most of the bugs. This is a new piece of tech, so if you don't really need it in my opinion would be better to wait. But if you need it then go for it.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 09:13 PM   #49
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Quote:
I wanna get the iX but will wait for the LCI or when the cargo space and Design improves. Till then, will enjoy the X5 40i.
Wait for the BEV X5 which will use the next platform design.
I might do that. I just got my 2020 X5 right before the pandemic hit us hard in the US. It was custom made with air suspension and few other goodies. So far have only put 12K miles in 2 years. Once I cross 70K miles I will start thinking about upgrading to the iX, no question!!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 09:25 PM   #50
gotzillar
Private
Rep
Drives: 992S,X7M50i,EV6,TaycanGTS ST

Test drove an iX 50i today. While the exterior aesthetics, driving dynamics, and speed are phenomenal, the interior from the dashboard, screens, controls, UI, windows for rear passengers, and trunk space is leaving a lot to be desired when comparing it with our X7 M50i.
Appreciate 1
viperdoc364.00
      04-23-2022, 10:53 PM   #51
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

I feel the perfect vehicle would be an X5/X7 with the new 480hp xDrive50e or a 530hp xDrive60e with an ungraded iX/i7 inspired interior.

While I loved my i3 and the full electric experience that it provided, I feel the convenience of a 50-60 mile pure electric range for your typical day to day driving and a matching 480hp ICE for your long range adventures feels to me a higher technological advancement than pure electric.

What's more perfect than full electric for your day to day drive with a ICE when needed for long travel?

Pure electric feels limited to me unless you have an additional vehicle for long travel. Until we can charge in 15-20 minutes range and have an adequate charging network, just can't see myself going for the iX yet. This is the reason I cancelled my Rivian reservation (aside from CS related issues as well).

Very excited to see the new RR Sport with the P440e and the new G05 LCI with the xDrive50e. Those would be very compelling alternatives.
PLF693766.00
      04-24-2022, 05:34 AM   #52
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
I don't think it's a given that BMW will issue a BEV X5 or rather decide that the iX is good enough for a while in that segment. I don't think any information about the upcoming (the post-G05 model, not the upcoming LCI) X5 is available so far?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 07:36 AM   #53
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzillar View Post
Test drove an iX 50i today. While the exterior aesthetics, driving dynamics, and speed are phenomenal, the interior from the dashboard, screens, controls, UI, windows for rear passengers, and trunk space is leaving a lot to be desired when comparing it with our X7 M50i.
I agree with your assessment. We own a 2019 X7 50i and the interior always feels much more luxurious in the X7 after driving the iX. It's a nice interior but it looks and feels more like a mid-range interior, not a luxury interior. We have an iX on order that could arrive by July but we're giving up a nicer interior to move onto the iX. We just want an EV and are willing to make a few concessions. The new EQS 580 SUV may end up in our garage as it looks great in the pics we've seen and the interior appears to hit the mark in luxury. We're on a list to order one of these as well and may trade the iX for it when it arrives. We of course need to test drive it to know for sure if it's as good as it appears. It's wonderful to finally have choices other than a Tesla Model X which we crossed off our list (Yoke steering wheel and Falcon Wing doors ).
Appreciate 3
KRS_SN13510.50
Paladin15556.00
      04-24-2022, 07:44 AM   #54
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Quote:
I don't think it's a given that BMW will issue a BEV X5 or rather decide that the iX is good enough for a while in that segment. I don't think any information about the upcoming (the post-G05 model, not the upcoming LCI) X5 is available so far?
True.

All we know so far is for the G05 LCI and no details on the Neue Klasse platform and offerings.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 09:51 AM   #55
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I like having a frunk because it is very practical for grocery shopping. In a trunk, you have so much space, that your grocery bags can slide around and fall over. You can install a trunk organizer to avoid this, but now you have another object which prevents you from using it to carry large objects.

A frunk is the ideal setup for grocery shopping. You can line up a few bags. They won't slide around if you pack it in. And you can leave your trunk open without an organizer for the occasions you want to carry a suitcase or a large object.
A frunk is not climate controlled unlike the trunk in a SUV or hatchback. Here in Arizona—where it hits 120ºF—I wouldn't be caught dead hauling groceries in my frunk.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      04-24-2022, 11:23 AM   #56
TheIX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
Quote:

A frunk is not climate controlled unlike the trunk in a SUV or hatchback. Here in Arizona—where it hits 120ºF—I wouldn't be caught dead hauling groceries in my frunk.
You'd certainly end up dead if you ate those groceries!
Appreciate 2
NomoTesla2168.50
Paladin15556.00
      04-24-2022, 11:44 AM   #57
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
Quote:

You'd certainly end up dead if you ate those groceries!
Indeed, hot weather even impacts temp in the back of the X5 to an extent. I generally pre-condition the car from the check-out queue (X5 PHEV) which wouldn't help a bit in a frunk. I take a large cooler for frozen goods, meat, dairy, etc. and I can also easily fit two collapsible plastic crates for the dry goods in the X5 with the second row seat backs up. Primary constraint is floor area, so the same should be true in the iX. I can't imagine using a frunk oven for groceries. I wonder if an ice pack from a cooler would keep the iX under-floor compartment chilled enough for some items I'd otherwise put in the cooler? Hmmm…
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 12:26 PM   #58
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird~Dawg View Post
Indeed, hot weather even impacts temp in the back of the X5 to an extent. I generally pre-condition the car from the check-out queue (X5 PHEV) which wouldn't help a bit in a frunk. I take a large cooler for frozen goods, meat, dairy, etc. and I can also easily fit two collapsible plastic crates for the dry goods in the X5 with the second row seat backs up. Primary constraint is floor area, so the same should be true in the iX. I can't imagine using a frunk oven for groceries. I wonder if an ice pack from a cooler would keep the iX under-floor compartment chilled enough for some items I'd otherwise put in the cooler? Hmmm…
Not that it matters here so much, but the Mach-e has a drain its frunk so you can fill it up with ice...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 02:12 PM   #59
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Still, if you have an X5 it would be worth waiting for the iX LCI. By then they would have figured out most of the bugs. This is a new piece of tech, so if you don't really need it in my opinion would be better to wait. But if you need it then go for it.
BMW issues major software updates every 4 months (march, july, november) and minor/bug-fix updates in between, and the iX should get at least some of them every once in a while via RSU or during dealer visits.

The LCI (if there is any) would likely include non-trivial hardware updates (BMW might also do small hardware updates during model year changes to support new features) though.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2022, 04:59 PM   #60
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Quote:
Quote:
BMW issues major software updates every 4 months (march, july, november) and minor/bug-fix updates in between, and the iX should get at least some of them every once in a while via RSU or during dealer visits.

The LCI (if there is any) would likely include non-trivial hardware updates (BMW might also do small hardware updates during model year changes to support new features) though.
Could be wrong, but I'm thinking there won't be an iX LCI, just a transition to the NK platform which is where they're likely focusing a lot of their efforts now.
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2294.00
      04-24-2022, 05:08 PM   #61
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Could be wrong, but I'm thinking there won't be an iX LCI, just a transition to the NK platform which is where they're likely focusing a lot of their efforts now.
Agree. Why have an LCI for a bespoke platform.

The iX is a reaction to BMW dropping the ball and the NK platform will be the true future.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 07:22 PM   #62
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
iX will be in production until June 2028.
So I think there probably will be a LCI sometime in 2025 or 2026.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 09:17 PM   #63
UltimateMoneyShifter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
What's more perfect than full electric for your day to day drive with a ICE when needed for long travel?

Pure electric feels limited to me unless you have an additional vehicle for long travel. Until we can charge in 15-20 minutes range and have an adequate charging network, just can't see myself going for the iX yet. This is the reason I cancelled my Rivian reservation (aside from CS related issues as well).
For me personally it's about the efficiency or cost of energy per mile. Unless I charge for free at work, I find that the cost for charging a hybrid like the BMW X5 PHEV in my area ($0.31 per kWh and ~630Wh/mile) comes very close to operating a X5 xDrive40i at ~23 mpg mixed ($5.50/gallon). The savings are only about $400/year for 10,000 miles (not even including the worse gas only mileage of 20mpg for the xDrive45e). I think the tax credit is probably the better reason for picking the xDrive45e in my case.

Compare this with the iX which has an efficiency of 333Wh/mile (22" wheels) and it comes out to $1,400/year for 10,000 miles. Plus, you get free high speed charging for about 30 minutes (~150 miles of range) for free for 2 years with the Electrify America tie up. If you used that for about 2,000 miles in long distance travel (I take a few road trips), that is ~$500 in additional value.

Of course, I am keenly aware that I am arguing saving ~$2,000/year on a ~$100,000 vehicle (iX) vs a ~$70,000 vehicle (X5 xDrive45e). For me personally, I think the iX is worth the $30,000 premium based on the interior, tech and ride quality alone. And I am happy to trade waiting 20-30 minutes at the charger for those savings haha.

This equation probably changes for different people in different places (lower prices for electricity and higher gas prices, shorter commute to work, willingness to wait, etc.).
Appreciate 2
q_e36.00
Paladin15556.00
      04-24-2022, 09:25 PM   #64
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateMoneyShifter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post

For me personally it's about the efficiency or cost of energy per mile. Unless I charge for free at work, I find that the cost for charging a hybrid like the BMW X5 PHEV in my area ($0.31 per kWh and ~630Wh/mile) comes very close to operating a X5 xDrive40i at ~23 mpg mixed ($5.50/gallon). The savings are only about $400/year for 10,000 miles (not even including the worse gas only mileage of 20mpg for the xDrive45e). I think the tax credit is probably the better reason for picking the xDrive45e in my case.

Compare this with the iX which has an efficiency of 333Wh/mile (22" wheels) and it comes out to $1,400/year for 10,000 miles. Plus, you get free high speed charging for about 30 minutes (~150 miles of range) for free for 2 years with the Electrify America tie up. If you used that for about 2,000 miles in long distance travel (I take a few road trips), that is ~$500 in additional value.

Of course, I am keenly aware that I am arguing saving ~$2,000/year on a ~$100,000 vehicle (iX) vs a ~$70,000 vehicle (X5 xDrive45e). For me personally, I think the iX is worth the $30,000 premium based on the interior, tech and ride quality alone. And I am happy to trade waiting 20-30 minutes at the charger for those savings haha.

This equation probably changes for different people in different places (lower prices for electricity and higher gas prices, shorter commute to work, willingness to wait, etc.).
I've never purchased a vehicle to save money. I choose the vehicle that's most convenient for my personal needs.

It's hard to justify a $100K investment to "save" $1400/year.

Regarding the analysis, you are using gas only and EV only for the X5, not combine and you have to see what the new xDrive50e with 50-60 mile range will bring.

Regardless, the iX should be more efficient than the X5 in EV, but the convenience of the gas engine when needed is pretty nice.

Now imagine the i7 interior in a X7 with the XDrive60e engine. Perfection
      04-24-2022, 09:28 PM   #65
UltimateMoneyShifter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive50

Also, regarding the comments on the frunk: I am alright with the packaging since it actually makes it easy for the average consumer to perform routine maintenance themselves (after the first 3 years of complimentary maintenance). It was painful to get to the maintenance items like the air filter on my Model 3.

But wait! Apparently you can't access what's under the hood on the iX. Only BMW technicians can. This right here is BS. How can BMW and Mercedes get away with this? I figured this would be against some law in the EU
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 09:41 PM   #66
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateMoneyShifter View Post
Also, regarding the comments on the frunk: I am alright with the packaging since it actually makes it easy for the average consumer to perform routine maintenance themselves (after the first 3 years of complimentary maintenance). It was painful to get to the maintenance items like the air filter on my Model 3.

But wait! Apparently you can't access what's under the hood on the iX. Only BMW technicians can. This right here is BS. How can BMW and Mercedes get away with this? I figured this would be against some law in the EU
I think you can access, but maybe they don't want you to. I doubt it would void warranty or anything.

Besides, it's not like you're going to be changing the oil or spark plugs. Maybe there's a reason eventually to access the brake fluid or something.
Appreciate 0