04-29-2022, 11:36 AM   #1
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

iX Delivery Checklist

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Like on the X5 refresh, it might be good to have a checklist for items others have discovered.

Remember the backseat wrinkle issue on the 2019 x5's, haha

I saw this online and was thinking a good checklist for a first-year product might be good.

I hope this is something easy to fix or just this unit.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 11:46 AM   #2
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

This gentleman says that BMW told him it's "within standard" and there is no fix. Sounds like a bad BMW dealer who doesn't know how to fix these cars. I can't imagine BMW would say something like this is within spec. I'm just speculating, but that does bring up a good question. How do we know whether a particular dealership is well trained on servicing these cars?

For example, with Tesla you can reasonably expect poor service experience but consistency in capability across service locations. How is BMW with that?
Appreciate 1
TechCTU767.50
      04-29-2022, 12:11 PM   #3
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
This gentleman says that BMW told him it's "within standard" and there is no fix. Sounds like a bad BMW dealer who doesn't know how to fix these cars. I can't imagine BMW would say something like this is within spec. I'm just speculating, but that does bring up a good question. How do we know whether a particular dealership is well trained on servicing these cars?

For example, with Tesla you can reasonably expect poor service experience but consistency in capability across service locations. How is BMW with that?
I would laugh so hard at a technician trying to tell me that it is "normal".

Like I get that he can just slam the door harder and it seems to work fine then, but he seemed to be closing it with enough momentum when it wasn't working and is definitely an issue.

What is dumb is that it is easy money for the dealer to get that fixed under warranty for the customer.
Appreciate 3
TechCTU767.50
NomoTesla2171.50
Paladin15556.00
      04-29-2022, 12:17 PM   #4
TechCTU
Major
Rep

I agree, bad dealer and it seems like an easy fix. If it closes when window is down, it may be the window seal up top.

Would you take delivery? I think I would ask them to fix then take delivery. I guess it depends on how hard it is to close the door.

I have soft close doors so it would be interesting to see if that would pull it closed.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 12:41 PM   #5
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

When the doors of the iX are opened the windows lower about 3/4" to clear the drip edge. Notice in his video that when he raises the window while the passenger door is open, it stops before going all the way up. This is by design so the window clears that drip edge that keeps the rain out. So in his case it appears the door needs an adjustment. To claim that is within BMW specs is BS. That dealership should be reported to BMW headquarters if they do not fix it.
Appreciate 3
TechCTU767.50
NomoTesla2171.50
Paladin15556.00
      04-29-2022, 12:42 PM   #6
slampert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX50

That looks like a soft close door problem.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2022, 12:46 PM   #7
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
I agree, bad dealer and it seems like an easy fix. If it closes when window is down, it may be the window seal up top.

Would you take delivery? I think I would ask them to fix then take delivery. I guess it depends on how hard it is to close the door.

I have soft close doors so it would be interesting to see if that would pull it closed.
It is hard to walk away from delivery day without your new car even when it has an issue... Not because you can't, but because you want your shiny new toy.

I had a cosmetic issue on my X5 on delivery day (veiny leather door tops because of bad gluing at the factory) and accepted delivery anyway. It will always depend on how the dealer reacts to the issues on that day and ours did everything right as far as I am concerned.

For the door issue above, if they needed to wait for parts, I personally would still take delivery since we would just need to slam the door a little harder for it to work. If they just needed to adjust something in the door, then I would maybe ask that they do it ASAP and reschedule delivery, but honestly, it would depend on whether I was getting the car delivered early or late in the work week. If delivery was on a Friday, I'd rather have my new toy for the weekend and would accept delivery. If it was Monday, I'd ask them to fix it and go back say Wednesday for delivery.
Appreciate 1
TechCTU767.50
      04-29-2022, 12:48 PM   #8
TechCTU
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slampert View Post
That looks like a soft close door problem.
I don't think soft close, in US it needs luxury package, but it may be a single add on in other regions. He mentions BMW NA so I was thinking that's US but may also be Canada / Mexico.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 12:54 PM   #9
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
I don't think soft close, in US it needs luxury package, but it may be a single add on in other regions. He mentions BMW NA so I was thinking that's US but may also be Canada / Mexico.
BMW NA is just for USA.

You mean to say there are other countries in North America other than the USA?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 12:58 PM   #10
TechCTU
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
BMW NA is just for USA.

Hahaha, Right!
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2448.00
      04-29-2022, 02:28 PM   #11
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
It is hard to walk away from delivery day without your new car even when it has an issue... Not because you can't, but because you want your shiny new toy.

I had a cosmetic issue on my X5 on delivery day (veiny leather door tops because of bad gluing at the factory) and accepted delivery anyway. It will always depend on how the dealer reacts to the issues on that day and ours did everything right as far as I am concerned.

For the door issue above, if they needed to wait for parts, I personally would still take delivery since we would just need to slam the door a little harder for it to work. If they just needed to adjust something in the door, then I would maybe ask that they do it ASAP and reschedule delivery, but honestly, it would depend on whether I was getting the car delivered early or late in the work week. If delivery was on a Friday, I'd rather have my new toy for the weekend and would accept delivery. If it was Monday, I'd ask them to fix it and go back say Wednesday for delivery.
We took delivery of our two X5s even though they installed the wrong headliner color - with the dealer's assurance that they would replace both, which they did (and did an excellent job) but it took months (parts). So very much depends on the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 02:29 PM   #12
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
BMW NA is just for USA.

There are two schools of thought....
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 02:46 PM   #13
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
It looks like the window pitch needs to be adjusted. I recall back in the day my MB CLS550 had issues with the window seal, and more recently my 650i too. In both cases the window pitch (or lean) was adjusted and the problem was solved.
Appreciate 2
TechCTU767.50
slampert162.00