Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

04-29-2022, 03:05 AM   #23
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Can't really wrap my head around why you'd ever get the i4 if you were vaguely interested in the M3. It's clear that even the full blown M version of this will be well over 5,000lbs. Why would you want 1,000 more lbs of car in something that's supposed to be nimble and agile. It does good with what it has but we're not talking about buying a 320 vs an i4 here. We're talking about a person deciding to go EV or M3 and if these two were my options the i4 isn't even close. Tech has a bit more to go before I think it'll genuinely replace the M3.

Consider also how poor that range is when you rip it on a track. Probably sub 50 miles
I changed from a 2020 M5 Competition to the i4M50 so surely I am one of those potential customers you are saying wouldn't consider this i4, clearly you are wrong in your assumptions.

Let me into a little secret, the real world no one drives their cars at 8/10th never mind 10/10th and in the street you very seldom get above 5/10th of what they are capable of, so ignore the press BS where they say you don't have the same nimble directional changes and numb steering because in the real world this isn't noticed. But what is noticed is that instant acceleration regardless of whether you are in Sport Boost or even ECO Pro and the buttery smooth delivery of that power.

And then you come to running cost (real world driving that is) because I have yet to switch to an EV tariff for cheap night time charging and even without it my running costs on fuel vs electric costs are a third of the M5C a 1/3rd so I can enjoy all this instant grunt all the time and not have to worry what it's costing.

Last edited by footie; 04-29-2022 at 04:23 AM..
Appreciate 4
KoenG1428.50
///M TOWN16300.00
      04-29-2022, 03:13 AM   #24
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Here's why: TCO M3c = 2 x TCO i4M

And:

I would like to stop funding fundamentalism in the middle-East and in Russia. With electricity, we actually no longer have to fund extremist regimes.

And:

environment.
Sure burning fossil fuel is not efficient but at the moment there are no perfect alternatives either. Takes many years and kms before the BEV break even with the production footprint excess vs ICE car.
Most EU countries except France which is loaded with nuclear plants and the nordics with hydro / gas, can't possibly cope up with electricity production without the fuel, gas... or coal... so there you go for your funding and environmental concerns.
Now 75% of the mines used to produce the batteries are owned by China (even if most of the mines are not in China)... So it's also debatable funding especially when you see the workers who are actually mining in some places, it's not pretty.
Personally I think the sooner EVs stops depending on batteries the better... There is enough environmental destruction from the mining to produce batteries for consumer electronics, we don't need to add worldwide car production scale of this on top of that.
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2022, 03:17 AM   #25
playswcars
///M-Thusiast
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 X5 M50i

Garage List
M3 is the way to go.

Past: G80 M3x, G80 M3, G05 X5, F82 M4, F87 M2C, F20 M140i
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 04:15 AM   #26
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
Can't really wrap my head around why you'd ever get the i4 if you were vaguely interested in the M3.

And:

I would like to stop funding fundamentalism in the middle-East and in Russia. With electricity, we actually no longer have to fund extremist regimes.

And:

environment.
Quote:
Quote:
Can't really wrap my head around why you'd ever get the i4 if you were vaguely interested in the M3.

And:

And:

environment.
2 x TCO 😂😂😂😂
      04-29-2022, 04:32 AM   #27
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Can't really wrap my head around why you'd ever get the i4 if you were vaguely interested in the M3. It's clear that even the full blown M version of this will be well over 5,000lbs. Why would you want 1,000 more lbs of car in something that's supposed to be nimble and agile. It does good with what it has but we're not talking about buying a 320 vs an i4 here. We're talking about a person deciding to go EV or M3 and if these two were my options the i4 isn't even close. Tech has a bit more to go before I think it'll genuinely replace the M3.

Consider also how poor that range is when you rip it on a track. Probably sub 50 miles
Agreed 1000%
Two different animals from two different worlds.
M3 and i4 are just sharing similar body and thats it.
A high performace 4000 lb combustion car is not even comparable with a 5000 lb EV car!
TBH comparing M3 with even 330 makes more sense.
I believe the battle between i4 and Tesla 3p is the real Apple to Apple…
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 3
Eddien1231849.00
///M TOWN16300.00
      04-29-2022, 04:40 AM   #28
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
Quote:

So I've owned multiple M cars and non-M BMWs.

My last car was a close to FB0 N54 335i with a full brembo retrofit, limited.slip, etc. It was track prepped and before being totaled it was destined to be my full time track car.

I was going for an M4 Until I saw the i4 M50 last year in the press release. My money went in the pre-order queue on day 1.

You are absolutely wrong about what people are cross shopping. I have never looked at the weight of my cars and my E30 weighted about half of the i4.

The i4 hides it's weight well. It doesn't feel much different than a 5 series. Actually it is about the same dimensions as a E39 5.

Its a blast to drive and other than a driving school, I wouldn't take any of my cars on the track. An M3 is okay on the track after you gut it and rove the rear seats and dump the bloat and put a proper roll cage in. If you want a track car, you buy a stripper.

Anyway the i4 is plenty good enough and if you are driving it at anything above 7/10ths on public roads you won't have a license.
Not sure how a 5000 lb car hides the weight.
I went from 3600 lb F80 M3 to 4300 lb F92 M8 and absolutely feel the weight change despite the agility of M8.
And no need to add that both are real M car!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 05:31 AM   #29
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Agreed 1000%
Two different animals from two different worlds.
M3 and i4 are just sharing similar body and thats it.
A high performace 4000 lb combustion car is not even comparable with a 5000 lb EV car!
TBH comparing M3 with even 330 makes more sense.
I believe the battle between i4 and Tesla 3p is the real Apple to Apple…
I wouldn't dispute that but to say no one who might be considering an M3/4 wouldn't even think about the i4M50 is completely wrong, not everyone who choses an M3/4 buy it for it's killer performance or handling, they chose it because they like how it looks or the sheer fact it's the top of the 3/4 series ladder. Most cars never see a track day and for those the most they see is a blast at the lights or a blast overtaking a few cars at a time two thing the i4M50 does well and the latter it does a lot better than the M3/4.

I know the M5 Competition isn't a light car either and probably in between the weight of the M3 and i4M50 but to be completely honest I don't notice the extra weight even when I push it hard down a back road. I think if there is one failing with the i4M50 is the way its AWD system is set up, it's no rear bias enough and this is possibly by choice from BMW to allow a more focus M version to come and deliver that driver appeal some here are looking.

But regardless of what an M version will be it will never truly be a track car, weight kills two things on track, tyres and brakes so a few hot laps will be the absolute limit.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 05:41 AM   #30
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Car sells itself. Drive one. i4 M50 is fantastic, and makes me eager for a true M EV.
Appreciate 2
techwhiz11856.00
sor3102.00
      04-29-2022, 07:15 AM   #31
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
That was one of the worst reviews. And they were so focused on it not being an M rather than a great everyday street car. If they were so into handling, Full Throttle should have tested one with the 20" wheel pkg. For every bad review, there are more positive ones.
I think the opposite -Throttle house is one of the best reviews from people who like to drive. and its a universal feeling from drivers - here is another one. real thoughts at 18 min mark

Last edited by Ilyam5; 04-29-2022 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 07:40 AM   #32
Drift Master
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

After an hour of unrestricted by my self test drive, I was already bored of the one trick pony push the pedal and feel the torque. For me when I drove it back to the dealer didn't even look back to question if it's the right car to have fun in my daily commute.

I work LONG hours and have a LONG commute, allot of days the drive is the fun part of the day? That car didn't deliver a FUN experience plus my stomach didn't like the instant acceleration.

I am sure this might be different to what some people are looking for in a car.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 08:35 AM   #33
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:

I agree. I went from a 3900lb+ M3 Comp. AWD to a 3164lb Porsche Boxster GTS. 2 different animals but the weight difference is very noticable when you push it through the corners. I recently drove a Taycan 4S and that honestly felt better than my M3 did despite being heavier. BMW can shed the weight but for some reason they haven't, alternatively they can figure out handling with added chunk.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 08:57 AM   #34
misterdom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i AW/TacRed

Garage List
2022 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 530i Xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriz2fer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Its easy: you want to be green for a change
You are not slowing climate change buying that car. It's for ego and self worth.
But I'm avoiding gas stations and my EV is 100% solar powered at home, so at least there's a feeling of being self sufficient. Honestly the main thing I was looking forward to in getting an EV was avoiding standing in the blowing snow for five minutes in winter once a week.

I'd say to some degree any BMW is for ego and self worth, certainly M cars. I don't know why EVs make it more so.
I guess EVs are good if you stay close to home. But they are light years away from going on a family trip. Who wants to sit and wait 30-45 minutes for a super charge or 2-3 hours for non super charge to be able to go another 300 miles? From my research the supercharges are not free and will become more expensive going forward. There isn't a huge impact to climate change it's just a shift in the detriment… co2 vs toxic chemicals and raw material.

In a 100 years there will still be ICE.
      04-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #35
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdom View Post
Yes, In automotive history museums. Past 2050 there won't be many countries where you'll be able to buy an ICE vehicle. Several countries have plans to ban new ICE sales by 2035, many more by 2050.
Appreciate 1
otay826.00
      04-29-2022, 09:27 AM   #36
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:

I cross shopped the two. Would’ve been fine using a different car for track days and keeping the i4 on public roads. I’d bet in most real world scenarios the i4 is quite a bit faster than the G8x. It really can’t be overstated how great instant torque is. Where it missed for me, and this is particularly relevant for road use, is the interior. They should’ve given it the higher quality interior of the G8x. Charge a little more if they need to. I understand it’s supposed to be more in-line with the 440i, and yeah that shows…
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 09:29 AM   #37
falconey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97

Quote:

I had an M3 CS and X3 M. Sold the X3, my daily driver, right after I ordered my i4. I usually have a daily and just wasn't at all interested in the G80 or G82 so will be keeping my F80. I'm hoping the true EV M3 comes out soon enough that I can continue using the i4 as my daily. So from my perspective I like the comparison between the m3 and i4 so as the years go by I know how well bmw closes the gap for the ICE M3 to the not yet created EV M3.

Also I've been to about 5 bmw ultimate drive events and a 2 day m school and having autox'd the m50 this past weekend I can say the car is very capable and fun to drive; they weren't allowing us to use sport boost mode so the fun factor would definitely go up with that. I think a vast majority of M3 buyers (not everyone is an expert speed racer) would find a lot of value in the i4. It's missing the track car feel, but I also won't feel bad starting it at anytime of day as opposed to my m3 which I'm sure gets a few swear words from the neighbors at times....
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2022, 09:29 AM   #38
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriz2fer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Its easy: you want to be green for a change
You are not slowing climate change buying that car. It’s for ego and self worth.
Reduced demand for oil. And you can derive electricity from solar, wind, hydro, and other clean sources.

I would rather have M3 than i4, but I'm not so arrogant to say the i4 cant hold a candle to it, is never cross shopped. You have to try to out yourself in someone elses shoes, especially when these cars are selling quite well

But yeah ego, as if ego doesn't drive M purchases too…
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2022, 09:54 AM   #39
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Your head is just not that big to have two apparently conflicting ideas at the same time, that’s all.

After 5 M3 in a row in 20 years, I ordered an i4 M50 last year. I’m not going back to gas engines, but I want the closest M3 experience possible in an EV, and right now this is it regardless of EV brand. Once BMW makes a M EV then I get that one.

Quote:

Appreciate 1
      04-29-2022, 10:17 AM   #40
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Your head is just not that big to have two apparently conflicting ideas at the same time, that's all.

After 5 M3 in a row in 20 years, I ordered an i4 M50 last year. I'm not going back to gas engines, but I want the closest M3 experience possible in an EV, and right now this is it regardless of EV brand. Once BMW makes a M EV then I get that one.

Quote:

Lol someone's upset
Appreciate 1
kjx3197.00
      04-29-2022, 10:22 AM   #41
misterdom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i AW/TacRed

Garage List
2022 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 530i Xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer666 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdom View Post
Yes, In automotive history museums. Past 2050 there won't be many countries where you'll be able to buy an ICE vehicle. Several countries have plans to ban new ICE sales by 2035, many more by 2050.
All of those forms of energy have to supplemented by nuclear or fossils fuel as they are not sufficient on their own. It's laughable to think ICE will be gone in 30 years. Maybe in California you won't be able to purchase but in the rest of the country you certainly will be able to purchase a new ICE. There are too many use cases that EV does not work for and some may try to replace ice but the practical implementation and benefit quickly subside. The upper spectrum of affluence in the US may adopt an all EV mode but the overwhelming majority of folks simply cannot withstand the financial impact. I live in a rural community that does not even have an annual emissions check on vehicles. So it's harder for me to imagine an immediate future where EV is mandated is 30 short years.
      04-29-2022, 10:36 AM   #42
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

In my experience, anyone that says they are buying an EV to save the environment are full of it and I personally know a lot of them. There are dozens of things they do every day, dozens of more things they own (including big houses with TVs and fridges in every room) that would have a bigger impact than buying an EV. In fact, an EV probably wouldn't even be in the top 10 difference makers.
Appreciate 1
meko178.50
      04-29-2022, 10:44 AM   #43
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Not sure how a 5000 lb car hides the weight.
I went from 3600 lb F80 M3 to 4300 lb F92 M8 and absolutely feel the weight change despite the agility of M8.
And no need to add that both are real M car!
Well, a few years back, the truck heavy X5M was beating the M3 around some tracks, so it's not the end of the world being heavier. I come from a sub 3000lb BMW i3, and have had various M-Cars in probably 16 BMW's I have had since 2004. I had i4 M50 for the weekend. It feels much lighter than it actually is. On the plus side, you can put it in comfort individual with the shock set on soft, and the car worked wonderfully while driving through Santa Paula with all those crappy roads.

I used to go to Buttonwillow and Willow Springs quite a bit in my M3. The i4 has plenty of attributes to keep you well entertained. First of all, with my driving habits, I get no more than 16mpg, even driving a Mini Cooper S. Sure I could get 35mpg, but my 2 month average is 16. Same with my BMWs. Except for the 35mpg 335d, which my 3 year average came out to 24mpg.

The point is driving way more aggressively in my BEV's than my ICE cars, still results in an average around 100mpge. So you can drive more aggressively in an electric car without paying the penalty of horrible fuel mileage.

There are those that THINK they live their life on a road course, and yet they drive much more mellow than myself. I go through rear tires in 6000-10000 miles, while they get at least double that. The point is if you always drive spiritedly, the tremendous wave of torque, and instant throttle response are more beneficial in real life than 10/10th track numbers. Not that the .99g cornering of the i4 is pathetic by any means. This is also the second test I have seen the i4 out brake the M4, including the CarWow test. So again, the weight of the i4 is not an issue on the street. In real life, in an accident with a lighter vehicle, extra weight is usually your friend.

And not having a loud, high winding ICE engine is not always a good thing. If you love to do heavy acceleration in everyday driving, the loud engine only attracts the wrong kind of attention from the police dept. If you are trying to make a yellow light, the EV is the perfect tool to have. Instant throttle response, WOT without the screaming engine that would attract the motor cop at the intersection. This is real life. I have accidentally been WOT right by a parked patrol car, without even drawing attention.

And personally, I love the jet like sounds my i3 makes. I only wish the i4 had more of that motor/inverter sound too. But it is always entertaining to be able to hear right when the car in the next lane floors it, or lets off the throttle etc. It is even more entertaining to hear that screaming, straining gas vehicle next to you (ie Camaros, Mustangs, etc), while you effortlessly pull away in an EV.

Its also nice to be able to control the climate control by your phone app, and precool the interior of the car on a hot day. On the same token, being able to relax in a climate controlled car during your lunch break without having to run your engine is incredibly convenient.

There are a lot of positives for EVs. This is why there are so many BEV drivers that say they will never go back to an ICE vehicle again. Plenty of Tesla owners in here that were former BMW M owners. Hopefully BMW will keep coming out with more competitive performance BEV offerings.
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph, 60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
2023 i4 M50 11.48 @ 121.56mph, 3.43 0-60 (dragy)
Appreciate 3
cruzer6661237.00
jeffc42159.50
yousefnjr6157.50
      04-29-2022, 10:58 AM   #44
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
In my experience, anyone that says they are buying an EV to save the environment are full of it and I personally know a lot of them. There are dozens of things they do every day, dozens of more things they own (including big houses with TVs and fridges in every room) that would have a bigger impact than buying an EV. In fact, an EV probably wouldn't even be in the top 10 difference makers.
If anyone who thought they made a difference did the unbiased research on how the environment is affected by ev production they'd reconsider. Not only in their production but what's going to be the reality when millions of battery cells have to be disposed of out of these EVs… the cost to retire these vehicles is going to go through the roof. The battery's after 10 years of cycling will have little functional life left and therefore are worthless and recycling batteries is at this stage, an optimistic endeavor.

Neither EV or ICE cars are particularly good for the environment. Where I fail to understand the logic is if you genuinely want to reduce emissions in the vehicle you drive, why wouldn't you push to continue to improve the ICE. It's incredible how efficient these manufactures have these cars now.

I believe a self sustaining hybrid is the most effective way we can reduce our carbon footprint with vehicles. But everyone's got an agenda and no one cares to do their own research. The mass production of these (in my opinion) unfinished EVs, are not such a good thing right now.

Edit: to not sound like a dinosaur who can't move on. I am very excited to see where battery tech takes us in the coming decade. That's all I'm really saying. I don't believe lithium ions with a 250mile range are good enough for mass production EVs. When we figure out reliable solid state battery technology and can go 400 miles on 30-40kw of battery. That's when EVs will prove themselves
Appreciate 2
kjx3197.00