03-22-2020, 11:59 AM   #287
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Interesting, in my experience UPS sucks. Fedex has been generally very fast and efficient with me, I've had two big shipments that were sent with UPS on fridays/holidays (just my luck I guess) and even when I caught up to their truck they said they can't give boxes out the truck even if they have it. Fedex though returns packages to their local hq same day here

I stopped by Aldi yesterday since it's less popular around here (probably because these hicks don't want to spend money at a non-American grocery store lol) and it was well stocked, but Walmart's whole dairy and frozen section was basically empty...

Still no signs of any paper towels or toilet paper though
Aldi is the same around here. Ironically that's where we found most of the stuff we needed a couple weeks back when everyone else was sold out.

People in my area look down upon them as "bargain stores" and think it's a bad status symbol to be seen in one.

Idiots!
      03-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #288
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Yeah, that's because the big Fedex hub is in your area. That hub is also ours, so it's an hour trip for them to get it here.
Huh, didn't know the hub was here.

Out of interest, did your school go pass/fail?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #289
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Aldi is the same around here. Ironically that's where we found most of the stuff we needed a couple weeks back when everyone else was sold out.

People in my area look down upon them as "bargain stores" and think it's a bad status symbol to be seen in one.

Idiots!
Right? It's cheaper and has been way more stocked this last week.
Other than for some specific stuff I found everything at Aldi, I didn't even know they were in America until I dragged a friend shopping last week.

It's snowing out now and with the sky looking so gray it really feels like nuclear winter hahah
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      03-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #290
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Saw a video yesterday of a couple stacking a pickup truck with boxes and boxes of tp and paper towels. It actually looked to be at a shopping plaza near my house. The lady taking the video claimed they had just bought all the tp and pt from the store.

Half the people in the comments wanted to punch the couple in the face, the other half wanted to punch the videographer for harassing the people when they could of just been buying stuff for the needy or for a nursing home or something. I would like to think that is the case, because there is no one even a large family could use that ungodly amount of stuff, but then again based on both their attitudes all parties involved seemed rather douchy.
Stores near me in PB County (and even increasingly online) are putting a stop to that by enforcing limits. The people you described are inevitably buying it to try to resell it on eBay, Amazon or some shady website. I hope they get stuck with it all with no way to sell it like the guy that bought thousands of hand sanitizer.
      03-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #291
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
And of course I forgot my reusable bags home. The ban on plastic bags started March 1 here.
NY State banned the use of disposable plastic shopping bags on March 1st. Three weeks later, we lead the nation in positive COVID-19 tests...as well as deaths. Of course there's no correlation between these two independent items, but I'm sure that the tin-foil (or do they use TP hats these days?) will be all over it before long.....
      03-22-2020, 12:48 PM   #292
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
I read that. Not sure the reasoning is sound. If your bags are contaminated, so is your clothing. And it's not like anyone in the store will be touching your bag. But others in the store may be touching the plastic bags in the store. Unless I read a good reason to not use my own bags, I'll continue to do so. Plus Wifey just washed all of ours.
You said "And it's not like anyone in the store will be touching your bag." Sorry, I got to be me.
Appreciate 4
Rmtt8211.00
M_Six16963.50
Poiseuille5392.50
      03-22-2020, 01:01 PM   #293
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
NY State banned the use of disposable plastic shopping bags on March 1st. Three weeks later, we lead the nation in positive COVID-19 tests...as well as deaths. Of course there's no correlation between these two independent items, but I'm sure that the tin-foil (or do they use TP hats these days?) will be all over it before long.....
They have not yet banned plastic grocery bags near us. The big thing here is banning plastic straws which I can’t imagine won’t be re-thought now.
vreihen1615277.00
      03-22-2020, 08:53 PM   #294
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:

Not yet, but the tidal wave hasn't hit yet. Tomorrow all the faculty will be "back" from Spring Break. Then we'll see how much work we have to do to be ready for classes in a week.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2020, 08:56 PM   #295
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right? It's cheaper and has been way more stocked this last week.
Other than for some specific stuff I found everything at Aldi, I didn't even know they were in America until I dragged a friend shopping last week.

It's snowing out now and with the sky looking so gray it really feels like nuclear winter hahah
We like Aldi's bread choices and I like their citrus/green tea drink. They have really good guacamole and tasty chicken salad, too.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2020, 09:48 PM   #296
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

National guard has been deployed in NY. I think here in California as well...

Wa told by a friend in NY you can't be outside past 8pm.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615277.00
      03-22-2020, 09:51 PM   #297
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:

Chatter is that this is being considered both at my school and my son’s school (Auburn).
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 10:12 PM   #298
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Chatter is that this is being considered both at my school and my son’s school (Auburn).
Does this mean they'll call off classes now and just go with current grades?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 10:58 PM   #299
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Finally got one pack of TP at Costco. Spent the afternoon driving to our family members house dropping off the individual packs on their porches. Came home empty handed, but they needed it more than us. They were down to 1 or 2 rolls! We still have some from before the madness. Got some jollibee take-out as a treat to ourselves. Who else likes that Filipino sweet spaghetti!!??

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
pokerface431.50
      03-22-2020, 11:01 PM   #300
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
We get packets from the teacher weekly. My wife is basically his teacher now (and me when I can step away from remote access in my home office). The students have a zoom meeting in the morning with their teacher to keep some semblance of routine and socialization. She has them do assignments and email in homework. Quizzes/tests are honor system. They take it at home and turn it in for her to grade. There is a strong possibility that this will be the sop until the end of the school year.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 11:23 PM   #301
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Who else likes that Filipino sweet spaghetti!!??
My daughter always stops to talk to the bee when we walk from Trieu Chau or Pepper Lunch to Soma for some boba.
Appreciate 1
jmg18705.00
      03-22-2020, 11:27 PM   #302
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

Quote:
Finally got one pack of TP at Costco. Spent the afternoon driving to our family members house dropping off the individual packs on their porches. Came home empty handed, but they needed it more than us. They were down to 1 or 2 rolls! We still have some from before the madness. Got some jollibee take-out as a treat to ourselves. Who else likes that Filipino sweet spaghetti!!??
Is it good? I've got more time now than I know what to do, maybe I'll pick some up tomorrow. Have always wanted to try it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 11:32 PM   #303
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pete View Post
Quote:
Is it good? I've got more time now than I know what to do, maybe I'll pick some up tomorrow. Have always wanted to try it.
Yeah if you like sweet spaghetti. I love it.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 12:02 AM   #304
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah if you like sweet spaghetti. I love it.
Can you get halo halo there?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 12:46 AM   #305
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Can you get halo halo there?
Yeah but honestly it isn't that great. You are better off at Noypitz or Salo Salo. More Ube ice cream and better ingredients. It is fast food after all.

Damn now I'm craving

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 01:06 AM   #306
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
So for now we as students are just asking for pass/fail, don't know how that will be handled. From a buddy in the student senate (resolutions are not binding) he said it wouldn't be a course basis (you can't p/f some and get letter grades in the others). Still no news though, not even one from the school acknowledging the resolution passed. Which makes me very hopeful in that they might be discussing how to do it; one of my courses is taught by the department's undergraduate head and he's yet to let us know how we'll proceed online. Slightly hopeful that he's too busy coordinating all that stuff

Quote:
We get packets from the teacher weekly. My wife is basically his teacher now (and me when I can step away from remote access in my home office). The students have a zoom meeting in the morning with their teacher to keep some semblance of routine and socialization. She has them do assignments and email in homework. Quizzes/tests are honor system. They take it at home and turn it in for her to grade. There is a strong possibility that this will be the sop until the end of the school year.
My school just did that a few days ago, no more in-person classes until the end of the school year.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 01:09 AM   #307
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Mostly same here. Weekly list of work and exercises to be done on paper or on iPad - some apps, some google forms (like weekly quizzes). Some work has to be video recorded and uploaded for things like speech or poster projects. Each grade is kind of off in their own world/format but it’s starting to standardize a bit more as they share learnings between teachers/grades. For 3rd grader, we have to take pictures of all their paper worksheets and email them daily, whereas 1st grade figures if they’re doing the work and the scores/answers in the apps demonstrate they’re getting it, they’ll just collect it later.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 05:49 AM   #308
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Not yet, but the tidal wave hasn't hit yet. Tomorrow all the faculty will be "back" from Spring Break. Then we'll see how much work we have to do to be ready for classes in a week.
What? They are getting two weeks to prepare for teaching online? Our professors got 24 hours! Oh, and since it was the last two days before spring break, many of them had tests scheduled that they now needed to figure out how to give online without cheating.

Quote:
The argument for pass/fail is that some students might not be able to learn the same in an online format, so it is unfair to use the in-person grading standard and possibly destroy their GPA. Plus, the use of tests online has a possibility of cheating, so pass/fail works both ways. Our school has not made decisions about room/board refunds or pass/fail yet, but the president's last campus announcement said that both were being discussed and promised a resolution by April 6th.

Time to logon in a few minutes, to see how many of the slacker profs didn't utilize the spring break week to ready themselves for online instruction today. Like professors, like students.....