BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-18-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

Servicing/maintenance costs (UK?)

Enquired about getting a maintenance plan from my local dealership.

Car is currently at 4,000 and registered Nov 18, and has a service pack (that came with original car) that is due to expire November 2021. It was serviced 600 miles ago, last month. By November 21 I'll probably have done another 12,000 miles.

I told the woman quoting me that there was a service pack on the car, due to expire in mid November.

I was quoted the following plan - £1,024.33 either as a one off or in instalments which would cover the following:

S1 - Oil and Microfilter + - 'due' 30,000 miles / November 21 - conveniently just after my original service pack expires?
S2 - Oil and Microfilter - 45,000 miles / July 22
S3 - Oil and Microfilter + 60,000 miles / Jan 24

Oil and Microfilter - is just Oil Service, Microfilter, fluid top up
Oil and Microfilter + - Air filter, brake fluid, fluids, microfilter, oil service, Spark Plugs, Vehicle check.

Also includes 1 MOT, 4 map updates. It seems pretty good..?

Questions please:
1. As part of the included 3 year service pack, am I meant to have the S1 / 'second service' i.e. 'the major service' included from the original service plan or should I be paying for this as part of the paid for maintenance package? I'm unsure if I'd be paying for a plan that should already be included?

Or is it condition based and I should try and rush to 18,000 miles (as I heard this was when it was triggered) as quick as possible to get this? Unsure why they've scheduled it literally the same month as when my included service pack is due to expire...? Hmm..

2. What is the cost people have been paying for the major (S1) and minor (S2) services above? The £1,024 cost doesn't see too bad to me, but then again I don't know the stand alone cost of these.

I will need to check if the above £1,024 includes door hinges and belt change too.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 01:38 AM   #2
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
That service schedule doesn't look the same as mine, possibly they changed it for the gen 2 cars? my car is March 17 and I had first service (minor) in march 19 and a brake fluid change in march 20, both included in the service pack that came with the car. I have a major service due in March 21, this will be the first thing that I've paid for other than the MoT earlier this year. Not had a quote yet, but the price you've been offered for two major and one minor service looks excellent. What dealer was this if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 02:41 AM   #3
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I8

I’ve just had a hybrid I oil service for £280 (oil,filters,sparks) at 50Kmiles. I had a hybrid II service at 32Kmiles for about £1000 in Jan 2019.(the same but with belts and door springs) So your deal seems reasonable value.

However, is there a time limit on the services – do you have to reach 60Kmiles by 2024?
Is it transferable to a new owner and if so do you think it adds much to the retail?

On a 2015 model year there is also a annual inspection that pops up a reminder on the dash – never had this done so cant comment on the cost.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 02:46 AM   #4
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
That service schedule doesn't look the same as mine, possibly they changed it for the gen 2 cars? my car is March 17 and I had first service (minor) in march 19 and a brake fluid change in march 20, both included in the service pack that came with the car. I have a major service due in March 21, this will be the first thing that I've paid for other than the MoT earlier this year. Not had a quote yet, but the price you've been offered for two major and one minor service looks excellent. What dealer was this if you don't mind me asking?
You're right, the service schedule looks a little sooner. It seems to schedule things every 18 months and 15,000 miles, whereas the idrive indicates 18,000 miles.

It was Stratstone and it was via their service program (run via EMAC, it's the one that BMW advertise on their site). I need to get confirmation if it includes belt and door struts though, she said it included everything when I asked but the paperwork itself doesn't say about belts or doors.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2020, 02:47 AM   #5
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain123 View Post
I’ve just had a hybrid I oil service for £280 (oil,filters,sparks) at 50Kmiles. I had a hybrid II service at 32Kmiles for about £1000 in Jan 2019.(the same but with belts and door springs) So your deal seems reasonable value.

However, is there a time limit on the services – do you have to reach 60Kmiles by 2024?
Is it transferable to a new owner and if so do you think it adds much to the retail?

On a 2015 model year there is also a annual inspection that pops up a reminder on the dash – never had this done so cant comment on the cost.
Thanks. It appears to be whichever comes first for the time etc. It was based on my estimated mileage of 10k a year. Glad to know value looks ok.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 01:24 AM   #6
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Has anyone actually seen the 'official' service schedule listing out what should be done at each inspection? I can't find anything online, but was sure that I'd seen it previously somewhere....
Appreciate 0