BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #199
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Here is MY perspective...

I have the Maxhaust sound module. In fact, I have BOTH the new Maxhaust Sound Module and the older Maserati Sound Module. I have also modified my harness to support either sound module as well as a "loopback" connector (for stock BMW sound). This allows me to easily switch between Maxhaust, Maserati, and BMW sound by simply unplugging and reconnecting one connector in my trunk.

I have also been working with both the Maserati and Maxhaust sound modules for about 6 months now. I have been swapping them back and forth and tweaking their setting trying to optimize the sound. I've got lots of experience with these modules and I have come to a pretty strong conclusion.

Here is a little background. Maxhaust makes and sells these "generic" systems for use on LOTS of vehicles. Most of them do not already have an EXTERNAL sound generator. I expect an even larger margin of them do not have an INTERNAL sound generator (in-cabin engine sound augmentation). The i8 has BOTH. To complicate matters further, the i8 has a THREE cylinder engine.

So here is the challenge. How do you make an external exhaust sound (calculated from 3-cyl OBD RPM data) sound good when audibly mixed with the artificial sound being generated in the cabin by BMW?

The short answer is "you can't" - at least not with the Maxhaust implementation. Don't get me wrong, I like the company and I think they make an interesting product. They have always been good to work with and have provided great support. Their product(s) just doesn't work particularly well with the i8.

I played with both modules for quite a while. (Best settings I could get was by setting the "Idle RPM" to 14 and the "Dynamic RPM" to 90). This was the best I could do, but it still did not integrate properly with the in-cabin engine sound. It also lagged well behind the actual engine RPM on acceleration (AND the RPM of the in-cabin sound).

So, after much messing around, I'm back to the stock BMW externally generated sound. The Maxhaust/Maserati sound simply did not have the sound quality which was appropriate for a $170K vehicle. It might be OK (for laughs) on a Honda Civic, but not on an i8.

I would recommend anyone to consider this before buying this kit, or as a minimum, wire in the ability for a loopback connector so you can easily go back to stock while you are doing the install. (Check my prior postings)

BMW did a really great job in creating the in-cabin sound. Its clearly not from a 3-Cyl engine but I expect it must be calculated from some even multiple (like a 6 Cyl or 12 Cyl) so as not to cause audible dissonance with the actual exhaust sound. The biggest challenge with the Maxhaust/Maserati modules is getting them to sync up with the in cabin sound. No one wants to hear two separate engine sounds "fighting" with each other. The BMW in-cabin sound is also much higher QUALITY.

Although I'm fairly certain I'm done with the Maxhaust/Maserati modules, I might still play around with the exhaust sound. We (i8 owners) are pretty lucky that we ALREADY have an external speaker, amplifier, and external sound source. ...and its already of pretty high quality! It appears to me that most folks are just trying to get LOUDER exhaust sound from their vehicles (not DIFFERENT sound).

Since I already have my "loopback connector", I simply may make another connector, except I will insert an auxiliary amp in the loop. I have already purchased a 200W subwoofer amp which will handle high-level input (speaker level). This $34 amp runs off 12V, has adjustable volume, and will output up to 200W. (My loopback connector already has the 12V power wiring in it). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If all you want is a louder exhaust, adding an in-line amp will be a much cheaper solution while still allowing you to keep the wonderful sound that BMW has worked so hard to engineer specifically for our vehicle.

I'm pretty busy for the next month or so but will likely getting around to test this out some point during the summer. The good news is, with the loopback connector, I can easily go back to stock if it doesn't work out.

$0.02

Last edited by evanevery; 05-08-2019 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
fbuzila367.00
      05-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #200
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

thanks evanevery
I will follow your posts about adding an extra amp;
If I want to do that I still have to run the 12v power from front, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #201
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbuzila View Post
thanks evanevery
Please be aware that I haven't actually TESTED this yet! I have all the pieces (including a candidate amp) but I haven't wired it all in yet. So, if you are going to try this, please be advised that you will be out front for testing!

Let me take some time to get some documentation together to help you do this. I can identify the circuits and the wires you will need to cut/tap and also make some suggestions about the connectors you may want to use. But I need to gather that data so I can post it.

...and YES, you will want to bring a power source to the rear of your vehicle so you can include it in your connector!

If you just want to TRY adding an amp, you would want the following 6 wires in your connector:

1. 12v Power
2. 12v Ground
3. Audio + from BMW Amp
4. Audio - from BMW Amp
5. Audio + to External Speaker
6. Audio - to External Speaker

If you also want to make it possible to easily use the Maxhaust/Maserati modules, then you would want to add the two CANbus wires for a total of 8:

1. 12v Power
2. 12v Ground
3. Audio + from BMW Amp
4. Audio - from BMW Amp
5. Audio + to External Speaker
6. Audio - to External Speaker
7. CANBus Hi
8. CANBus Lo

IMHO: If your gonna go through all the work to run the power and splice the harness, I would certainly recommend doing all 8 wires. That way, if your ever wanted use the Maxhaust/Maserati modules you will be ready to go!

Let me get some more documentation together. Stand by...
Appreciate 1
fbuzila367.00
      05-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #202
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Here is MY perspective...

I have the Maxhaust sound module. In fact, I have BOTH the new Maxhaust Sound Module and the older Maserati Sound Module. I have also modified my harness to support either sound module as well as a "loopback" connector (for stock BMW sound). This allows me to easily switch between Maxhaust, Maserati, and BMW sound by simply unplugging and reconnecting one connector in my trunk.

I have also been working with both the Maserati and Maxhaust sound modules for about 6 months now. I have been swapping them back and forth and tweaking their setting trying to optimize the sound. I've got lots of experience with these modules and I have come to a pretty strong conclusion.

Here is a little background. Maxhaust makes and sells these "generic" systems for use on LOTS of vehicles. Most of them do not already have an EXTERNAL sound generator. I expect an even larger margin of them do not have an INTERNAL sound generator (in-cabin engine sound augmentation). The i8 has BOTH. To complicate matters further, the i8 has a THREE cylinder engine.

So here is the challenge. How do you make an external exhaust sound (calculated from 3-cyl OBD RPM data) sound good when audibly mixed with the artificial sound being generated in the cabin by BMW?

The short answer is "you can't" - at least not with the Maxhaust implementation. Don't get me wrong, I like the company and I think they make an interesting product. They have always been good to work with and have provided great support. Their product(s) just doesn't work particularly well with the i8.

I played with both modules for quite a while. (Best settings I could get was by setting the "Idle RPM" to 14 and the "Dynamic RPM" to 90). This was the best I could do, but it still did not integrate properly with the in-cabin engine sound. It also lagged well behind the actual engine RPM on acceleration (AND the RPM of the in-cabin sound).

So, after much messing around, I'm back to the stock BMW externally generated sound. The Maxhaust/Maserati sound simply did not have the sound quality which was appropriate for a $170K vehicle. It might be OK (for laughs) on a Honda Civic, but not on an i8.

I would recommend anyone to consider this before buying this kit, or as a minimum, wire in the ability for a loopback connector so you can easily go back to stock while you are doing the install. (Check my prior postings)

BMW did a really great job in creating the in-cabin sound. Its clearly not from a 3-Cyl engine but I expect it must be calculated from some even multiple (like a 6 Cyl or 12 Cyl) so as not to cause audible dissonance with the actual exhaust sound. The biggest challenge with the Maxhaust/Maserati modules is getting them to sync up with the in cabin sound. No one wants to hear two separate engine sounds "fighting" with each other. The BMW in-cabin sound is also much higher QUALITY.

Although I'm fairly certain I'm done with the Maxhaust/Maserati modules, I might still play around with the exhaust sound. We (i8 owners) are pretty lucky that we ALREADY have an external speaker, amplifier, and external sound source. ...and its already of pretty high quality! It appears to me that most folks are just trying to get LOUDER exhaust sound from their vehicles (not DIFFERENT sound).

Since I already have my "loopback connector", I simply may make another connector, except I will insert an auxiliary amp in the loop. I have already purchased a 200W subwoofer amp which will handle high-level input (speaker level). This $34 amp runs off 12V, has adjustable volume, and will output up to 200W. (My loopback connector already has the 12V power wiring in it). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If all you want is a louder exhaust, adding an in-line amp will be a much cheaper solution while still allowing you to keep the wonderful sound that BMW has worked so hard to engineer specifically for our vehicle.

I'm pretty busy for the next month or so but will likely getting around to test this out some point during the summer. The good news is, with the loopback connector, I can easily go back to stock if it doesn't work out.

$0.02
I have the Maserati sound booster and I can't say I suffer with the issues you describe

Perhaps you have some faulty kit?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #203
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
I have the Maserati sound booster and I can't say I suffer with the issues you describe

Perhaps you have some faulty kit?
No, its not a faulty kit. BOTH the Maxhaust and the Maserati modules sound "pretty bad". Yes, I can adjust them using the Maxhaust app, but the sound is no where near the quality of the BMW sound. And it certainly doesn't track the BMW active sound adequately. I also have a Roadster, so maybe its just easier for me to hear the dissonance.

If you are happy with your Maxhaust sound then that's great! However, for me, the "cartoon" sound it produces is no where near the pedigree of the i8.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #204
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
thanks evanevery
Here is a collection of info which should help you get started TESTING that external amp:

NOTE THAT I ASSUME ABSOLUTELY NO LIABILITY SHOULD YOU DAMAGE SOMETHING OR PROVIDE ANY GUARANTEE OF DESIRED FUNCTIONALITY. (blah, blah, blah...)

1. Here is a link to IdTamer's very detailed thread with lots of photos showing his installation of the Maxhust system. There are lots of photos here showing how to run the power wiring etc: https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...1346524http://

2. Here is a link to the Maxhaust install document in another forum post. This document includes photos of the BMW Amp connector and wiring harness: https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/a...8&d=1538738672

3. Here is a link to my posting about how I created my "generic" harness connector: https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...3&postcount=79

4. Here are the connectors I am using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. And this post show photos of my connectors as installed in the harness: https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...7&postcount=87

6. Here is the link to the in-line Amp I will be testing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have attached a simple drawing of how my connectors are wired up (below). Note that you will want to actually cut the 4 wires in your harness (and NOT remove any pins from the connector) if you want to do this. You will be cutting (and intercepting) the audio wires and simply tapping into the CANbus wires (if you want to be able to use this connector with the Maxhaust solution). If you don't want/need Maxhaust compatibility then you can ignore the CANbus wires. You will also want to do this as far away from the amp connector as practical (not AT the connector) so it makes the cutting/soldering/tapping easier. Also note that I am showing all three connector possibilities in this drawing (Maxhaust Amp, Inline Amp, and BMW Loopback):
Attached Images

Last edited by evanevery; 05-08-2019 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #205
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

thanks evanevery
I will probably look into adding an amp first (less upfront investment and tbh I like how BMW sounds like, just needs a little more "sound power")
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #206
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
thanks evanevery
I will probably look into adding an amp first (less upfront investment and tbh I like how BMW sounds like, just needs a little more "sound power")
I think you are on the right track! ...and if you tap the CANbus wires into your connector (even though you don't need them for the inline amp), then you will EASILY be able to switch in the Maxhaust/Maserati solution in the future (if you want to try it).

The "Blue Connector" in their harness is a mess anyway. Lots of people having problems using it or getting the pins seated deep enough. If you decide to implement my generic, multi-purpose, connectors, then you will also just be cutting off the blue connector and replacing it anyway. PM me if you get to this point and want more info on replacing the Blue Connector with our "multi-purpose" connector. I can help you with the wiring/modification.

I am already doing ALL of this except the in-line amp. I just haven't had the time to wire that up and test it yet...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #207
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks evanevery
@evanevery any idea if I can find a connector I can use to just plug it on the BMW original one? (I feel like not cutting into the wires, considering is a lease)

For example on my X5 I added an amp + subwoofer and used this harness, no cutting: https://technicpnp.com/product/hifi-...ub-harnessloc/

Show be a way to find a female + male adaptor and add another 8 pins plug for the extra stuff..
Appreciate 1
evanevery1113.00
      05-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #208
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@evanevery any idea if I can find a connector I can use to just plug it on the BMW original one? (I feel like not cutting into the wires, considering is a lease)

For example on my X5 I added an amp + subwoofer and used this harness, no cutting: https://technicpnp.com/product/hifi-...ub-harnessloc/

Show be a way to find a female + male adaptor and add another 8 pins plug for the extra stuff..
actually I just realized I can buy this one and modify it to output the wires I need (external speakers and so on)

https://technicpnp.com/product/hifi-...ub-harnessloc/
Appreciate 1
evanevery1113.00
      05-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #209
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
actually I just realized I can buy this one and modify it to output the wires I need (external speakers and so on)

Wow! That looks pretty promising if it works with the i8!

I would however also tap the Canbus wires (in the adapter harness) so you could use the Maxhaust Solution if you wanted. This would require you to replace the adapter connector but at least you would not have to cut into your factory harness!

Also, as far as I can tell, it looks like they are missing a ground wire in their connector. All I can see is the power connector and the audio in and out pairs.

Nice find!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #210
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Wow! That looks pretty promising if it works with the i8!

I would however also tap the Canbus wires (in the adapter harness) so you could use the Maxhaust Solution if you wanted. This would require you to replace the adapter connector but at least you would not have to cut into your factory harness!

Also, as far as I can tell, it looks like they are missing a ground wire in their connector. All I can see is the power connector and the audio in and out pairs.

Nice find!
I'm thinking to search on realoem those BMW adapters and build my own harness... I bet this is how Technic PNP does it...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #211
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Are you sure that will work with the EXTERNAL sound amp?

It looks like it might be designed to work with an INTERNAL Audio Amp... I would be concerned that the wiring might be different or that some signals might not be passed through. For instance, I'm not sure that the normal Internal stereo amp needs to get any CANBus data (although the external amp certainly DOES).

On the positive side, you wouldn't need that signal converter module as the amp I spec'ed should not need it. (The amp I spec'ed has a switch to select high or low level input)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #212
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm thinking to search on realoem those BMW adapters and build my own harness... I bet this is how Technic PNP does it...
this is what I mean; just need to figure out which one:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_3534
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #213
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I think I see what they are doing...

That connector is for the Internal Amp (not the External amp). The connector appears to be the same but the wires being passed to the amp might not be complete (for the external Amp).

It simply TAPS the output from the amp so you can send it to a add-on subwoofer. It doesn't actually CUT into (intercept) the output so you can replace or boost it.

It appears they do have 12V+ and 12v- (Gnd) and the tapped output. That "fifth" wire must be the turn on signal they are talking about in their ad.

However, "if" all the necessary wires are there (for the external amp), it might be a convenient place to start! You got nothing to lose by chopping up that harness (except $85)!

You might want to compare the photo of the amp connector in the Maxhaust install photos with the one in the sales photo to try and determine if all thge wires are accounted for...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #214
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think I see what they are doing...

That connector is for the Internal Amp (not the External amp). The connector appears to be the same but the wires being passed to the amp might not be complete (for the external Amp).

It simply TAPS the output from the amp so you can send it to a add-on subwoofer. It doesn't actually CUT into (intercept) the output so you can replace or boost it.

It appears they do have 12V+ and 12v- (Gnd) and the tapped output. That "fifth" wire must be the turn on signal they are talking about in their ad.

However, "if" all the necessary wires are there (for the external amp), it might be a convenient place to start! You got nothing to lose by chopping up that harness (except $85)!

You might want to compare the photo of the amp connector in the Maxhaust install photos with the one in the sales photo to try and determine if all thge wires are accounted for...
Yes, something like that. But I would prefer to find those male+female plugs and build my own harness...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #215
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
this is what I mean; just need to figure out which one:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_3534
It doesn't look like any of the ones on that page. It does, however, look like the one in that adapter harness. Its a curved connector with a rotating latch on it. Checked the photos in the Maxhaust install document...

Also, you might want to check to confirm that any aftermarket connectors come with the proper pins...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #216
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, something like that. But I would prefer to find those male+female plugs and build my own harness...
I'm with you!

If you can find the parts to make the harness, and that amp works as anticipated, it might be a very viable product!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 04:58 PM   #217
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm with you!

If you can find the parts to make the harness, and that amp works as anticipated, it might be a very viable product!
check this: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=963084&page=3

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...i/DSCF1107.jpg

and then look at the pdf you sent showing the Soundbooster install (page 2)

it's the same plug; in pdf picture it has a part number but I cannot find it..not yet at least
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #218
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
check this: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=963084&page=3

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...i/DSCF1107.jpg

and then look at the pdf you sent showing the Soundbooster install (page 2)

it's the same plug; in pdf picture it has a part number but I cannot find it..not yet at least
or we can ask Technic if he is willing to build a harness for us that would work....(not for free obviously
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #219
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
or we can ask Technic if he is willing to build a harness for us that would work....(not for free obviously
Yup, that certainly looks like the plug!

I was thinking the same thing (re: Technic manufacturing the harness). It might be a very straightforward request if all you want is to get this done for yourself.

Best not to get too far ahead of things (as the inline amp and theory itself have yet to be tested)... However, if you think this might be a viable product, it might be better to find the connector(s) yourself! ;-)

I have all the parts and can probably set something up for testing in just a couple of hours. The only problem is I'm traveling on/off for the next couple of weeks and then out of the country completely for the following two weeks.

I'm anxious/eager to do the general testing if you can wait a couple of weeks. Maybe you can work on finding the connectors in the meantime?

No worries in any case!
Appreciate 1
fbuzila367.00
      05-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #220
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That generic type of connector is called a "Camlock Connector" if that helps with your searches. That term might help narrow your search.

BMW uses similar style connectors elsewhere (like in the ECU harness).
Appreciate 1
fbuzila367.00