04-10-2022, 04:56 PM   #1
rtrgjrbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw x5 40i

SENSATEC

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I got mine on order, originally ordered the leather option but when we actually got to test drive one it had the black SENSATEC my wife who really is not a fan of leather loved it anyone else ordered the SENSATEC and how do you like it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 05:24 PM   #2
NordicX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrgjrbmw View Post
I got mine on order, originally ordered the leather option but when we actually got to test drive one it had the black SENSATEC my wife who really is not a fan of leather loved it anyone else ordered the SENSATEC and how do you like it.
I have my iX with sensatec. First time with sensatec for me. Had leatherseats in my last 5-6 cars, whereof 3 have been BMWs. To be honest I have not thought about it at all, i.e. in real life haven’t notice any difference vs normal leather seats. I would bet all my friends who have been in the car have thought the seats have been normal leather. However, might be that the iX premium leather seats are extra comfortable. All the iX i have been in have had sensatec. But in case “normal” bmw leather is ok for you, I cannot see why you would not like sensatec. Please note however that i live in Sweden and i have had the car now for little bit over three months so no experience with summer temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 01:35 PM   #3
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrgjrbmw View Post
For what it's worth, I can't tell the difference between vegan and real leather. So why pay more?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 06:45 PM   #4
grueber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
For what it's worth, I can't tell the difference between vegan and real leather. So why pay more?
The SA I worked with on my IX purchase says it’s a noticeable difference between the leather and sensatec. Made it sound like the cat’s meow.

The demo I drove was sensatec and it was ok. Going to order the amido and find out if there’s a difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 07:54 PM   #5
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

My X5 has Dakota or Vernasca, the basic BMW leather. My wife and I checked out the new perforated Sensatec and it was pretty comparable overall, quite decent. The two demo IX's each had one of the two different leather colour options. When deliberately inspecting it, touching it, paying close attention to it, yes it was nicer. Sitting in each, there wasn't an obvious difference. Anyone who gets in and doesn't know would likely think the Sensatec is real cow. My wife actually preferred the Sensatec, so that's in our order.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 09:04 PM   #6
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird~Dawg View Post
My X5 has Dakota or Vernasca, the basic BMW leather. My wife and I checked out the new perforated Sensatec and it was pretty comparable overall, quite decent. The two demo IX's each had one of the two different leather colour options. When deliberately inspecting it, touching it, paying close attention to it, yes it was nicer. Sitting in each, there wasn't an obvious difference. Anyone who gets in and doesn't know would likely think the Sensatec is real cow. My wife actually preferred the Sensatec, so that's in our order.
Then there is a difference. Because Dakota is a lower grade leather. BMW's high end leather is traditionally Merino. So if Sensatec is like Dakota, then it won't be soft and smooth like the nicer leathers that BMW uses. Amido is a notch better than Merino. In fact Olive-tanned leathers feel incredible.

From what I understand BMW has developed a new higher grade Sensatec which is comparable to the higher end Nappa and Merino leathers and are supposed too be indistinguishable. This new Sensatec will be first offered on the LCI X7.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 10:44 PM   #7
patbrass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB, 6MT

In terms of luxury and feel this is the order you need to know:

Sensatec < Dakota = Vernasica < Nappa < Merino

I think the iX leather option is a one-off but very similar to Merino.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 12:06 PM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patbrass View Post
In terms of luxury and feel this is the order you need to know:

Sensatec < Dakota = Vernasica < Nappa < Merino

I think the iX leather option is a one-off but very similar to Merino.
Actually the non leather and leathers have equivalencies. BMW is trying to create a model in which you don't have a trade-off to be environmentally friendly.

Leatherette<Sensatec<Sensatec Pro
Dakota<Vernasca<Nappa<Merino<Amido

Amido is not a one-off. It is the first time BMW is introducing Vegetable-tanned leather which has always been the gold standard of leather as used in luxury goods by Hermes for example. Amido will be the benchmark of natural leather on all high end BMWs going forward.

The new Sensatec Pro is supposed to match Amido in terms of softness and feel, and will be installed in a similar manner with diamond quilting and deviated stitching. On the iX the regular Sensatec doesn't have the same level of stitching, coverage or feel as in the Amido equipped cars. This is not the case on the new X7 and I7 where they are introducing Sensatec Pro
Appreciate 2
grueber479.00
      04-13-2022, 01:33 PM   #9
Ceph299
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Is Castanea chestnut the same leather as the amido option?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 02:32 PM   #10
07e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

am i the only crazy one considering to change from sensatec to its microfiber/wool (i.e. stonegray)?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 02:47 PM   #11
patbrass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07e92 View Post
am i the only crazy one considering to change from sensatec to its microfiber/wool (i.e. stonegray)?
I think stonegray looks awesome and I would have considered it if I didn't go hiking in muddy places with my dog all the time
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 02:54 PM   #12
TheIX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07e92 View Post
I've always ordered leather and I was concerned about the microfibre, but so far I love it. No dogs or kids, but I do hike quite a bit. It appears that it's actually quite resilient
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 03:21 PM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIX View Post
I've always ordered leather and I was concerned about the microfibre, but so far I love it. No dogs or kids, but I do hike quite a bit. It appears that it's actually quite resilient
Microfiber is great for sitting on. But once you start getting stuff on it that can be caked on, then it starts to get pretty grubby. We had a microfiber steering wheel on our E63, and after a couple of years it was barely recognizable. Just seemed like some smooth slippery hard fabric because of all the hand cream build up from my wife's hands.

You can wash it with soap and water and then towel dry it - which works fine on a steering wheel, but is harder to do on a car seat because the moisture can travel into the seat whereas the substrate on the steering wheel is non porous.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 05:34 PM   #14
npa201
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 m50i, IX 50, Rivian R1S

Test drove with Sensatec and through it was better than the Dakota leather in my 2013 X5 but I always thought that leather was crap. I thought it was a notch below the Vernasca leather and honestly thought it was cheaper looking than the Tesla vinyl. I think for most its probably fine but my objective in ordering the IX was taking it more upmarket and I found with my X5 that the Merino Leather really made a huge difference in elevating the look and feel of the car. Wish there was a saddle brown option but since there isn’t I went with the red leather option on the IX.
Appreciate 0