Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

03-14-2022, 09:04 AM   #23
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Acceleration: Can be brutal and take someone for surprise if not ready for it. I fully get the acceleration for EV's but it gets tiring fast and the novelty wears out quick.
The brutality of that instant hit you get from EVs can be tiring I feel too but I found in my test drive I quickly adjusted my driving style to accommodate it. Still nice to know it’s there as a fun factor for unwary passengers. LOL

Quote:
Full Acceleration: Did not feel what you felt. Everything was pretty solid and did not have to hold or adjust the steering wheel in anyway.
Only driven one with 20s so don’t know if this feeling is associated with the smaller rims but hey it felt pretty solid to me. No doubt about it the front end gets light when flooring it from a stand still but otherwise felt no different to nailing my M5.

Quote:
Weight: Didn't drive anywhere to comment on the weight beside hard and quick turns and taking on on-ramps with speed, none you could really tell it was 5,000 pounds. So for most people, the weight shouldn't be an issue because you won't notice it in normal day-to-day driving.
I think up to 7/10th it hides its weight very well, changes direction like any other 4 series but I reckon the harder you push it the greater the chance it will understeer but in reality no one will or should be pushing this hard on public roads.

Quote:
IconicSounds: Gets pretty annoying QUICK. When you first hear it, it sounds cool but after a while, it just turns into a constant "whirl" or "hum". turned it off within 5 minutes of test drive.
Compared to the Audi E-Tron GT the i4 noise is music to my ears, to some it might still be annoying but it’s better or should I say the best I have heard to date.

Quote:
Overall impressions, the i4 should get some serious consideration if you're deciding to get a 4er Gran Coupé. Nothing about EV's really get me excited but BMW did a good job of keeping it very BMW so if you're ok with the range and you do not want to pay the ridiculous gas prices today, the i4 will offer a typical BMW experience.
Having demoed a few EVs now IMO the i4 is probably the closest to its sibling in feel than any other so if you are a BMW owner it should feel very familiar to you.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 10:55 AM   #24
mtech8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 19' X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Only driven one with 20s so don’t know if this feeling is associated with the smaller rims but hey it felt pretty solid to me. No doubt about it the front end gets light when flooring it from a stand still but otherwise felt no different to nailing my M5.

Compared to the Audi E-Tron GT the i4 noise is music to my ears, to some it might still be annoying but it’s better or should I say the best I have heard to date.
Additional note to my original review comments. The i4 I drove had 19" wheels. The slip in the rear tires was on full acceleration in Sports Boost mode. My friend who test drove the car with me that did full acceleration in Comfort mode did not feel/experience this slip. Maybe perhaps it was also the road conditions (dirt/sand/etc) that might have caused it. But I was also warned by my sales rep that this would happen (thus was prepared).

The Iconic Sound is subjective. And driving an Audi E-Tron for the past 1 1/2 years. I prefer the BMW sound better than the space ship sound the Etron makes. Even with Etron, I got used to it and tuned it out. One thing to note is that since the i4 M50 will get you to speed limit very quickly, you won't hear the full spectrum of the sounds. I like how you can turn it on/off.
Appreciate 1
cruzer6661237.00
      03-14-2022, 04:35 PM   #25
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Acceleration: Can be brutal and take someone for surprise if not ready for it. I fully get the acceleration for EV's but it gets tiring fast and the novelty wears out quick.

Full Acceleration: Did not feel what you felt. Everything was pretty solid and did not have to hold or adjust the steering wheel in anyway.

Weight: Didn't drive anywhere to comment on the weight beside hard and quick turns and taking on on-ramps with speed, none you could really tell it was 5,000 pounds. So for most people, the weight shouldn't be an issue because you won't notice it in normal day-to-day driving.

IconicSounds: Gets pretty annoying QUICK. When you first hear it, it sounds cool but after a while, it just turns into a constant "whirl" or "hum". turned it off within 5 minutes of test drive.

Everything else: Owning a F36 440i, everything else seems like typical BMW so can't really comment.

Overall impressions, the i4 should get some serious consideration if you're deciding to get a 4er Gran Coupé. Nothing about EV's really get me excited but BMW did a good job of keeping it very BMW so if you're ok with the range and you do not want to pay the ridiculous gas prices today, the i4 will offer a typical BMW experience.
This is a real review, the others are just people working for the Marketing department amping it up.

Imagine overpaying for a car just because you think it’s the future.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 04:37 PM   #26
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Imagine overpaying for a car just because you think it's the future.
You don't have to imagine, you can see them on the road, they're called Tesla 🙂
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 04:59 PM   #27
GranCoupay
Private
Rep
Drives: '22 G26 M440i, '20 G01 X3

Some interesting facts about the I4 compared to the M440i GC:
  • The trunk floor is actually ~2 inches higher than the M440i GC, meaning the hatchback loses a bit of space
  • The trunk floor does have a small subfloor storage space (probably where the exhaust would've been) to store charging cables, etc.
  • The rear interior floor is about ~1 inch higher as well; this means that folks with long legs might have less room to stretch their legs than the gas variant

Source: I met someone with an i4 M50 at a car meet last week; we brought the cars side by side and compared the differences. Exterior wise besides minor front-end and rear styling changes that are visually apparent, the i4 M50 seems to be a couple of millimeters taller - we both had 19" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 05:30 PM   #28
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer666 View Post
You mean those shoddily built overpriced POS that can barely travel a 2hrs without requiring 2 hours to recharge.

What about them?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 05:41 PM   #29
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You mean those shoddily built overpriced POS that can barely travel a 2hrs without requiring 2 hours to recharge.

What about them?
Haha, that's a little harsh but yes, those things, you mentioned "Imagine overpaying for a car just because you think it's the future". You don't have to imagine that, people overpay for teslas every day !
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 06:11 PM   #30
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

In many ways I really like the LCD dash.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10794.00
      03-14-2022, 06:20 PM   #31
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Yup, drove it today screen is so immersive I didn’t get a chance to use CarPlay it will be awesome. Screen doesn’t look tacky at all it matches perfectly with this type of car. Long wait is going to kill me.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24980.50
      03-14-2022, 06:22 PM   #32
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo_Kramer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Yup, drove it today screen is so immersive I didn't get a chance to use CarPlay it will be awesome. Screen doesn't look tacky at all it matches perfectly with this type of car. Long wait is going to kill me.
It's funny because the LCD dash was really a turning point for me with Porsche. It changed the game for me personally.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 06:34 PM   #33
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
That right there.

Paying premium prices for quality and build less than a Chevy Bolt.

Don't get me wrong I have had two Chevy Bolts and they are great cars at $30k. That's what a Tesla should cost.
      03-14-2022, 06:36 PM   #34
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo_Kramer View Post
Yup, drove it today screen is so immersive I didn’t get a chance to use CarPlay it will be awesome. Screen doesn’t look tacky at all it matches perfectly with this type of car. Long wait is going to kill me.
Drove the iX on Friday.
Love the HUD. Can't wait to drive the M50 this week or next.
      03-15-2022, 05:26 AM   #35
Davidbmwdd
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Any thoughts on iDrive8 both visually and functionality and comparison with idrive7. Is it much better?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 07:53 AM   #36
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

great thread, some nice reviews.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 11:12 AM   #37
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtech8 View Post
Additional note to my original review comments. The i4 I drove had 19" wheels. The slip in the rear tires was on full acceleration in Sports Boost mode. My friend who test drove the car with me that did full acceleration in Comfort mode did not feel/experience this slip. Maybe perhaps it was also the road conditions (dirt/sand/etc) that might have caused it. But I was also warned by my sales rep that this would happen (thus was prepared).

The Iconic Sound is subjective. And driving an Audi E-Tron for the past 1 1/2 years. I prefer the BMW sound better than the space ship sound the Etron makes. Even with Etron, I got used to it and tuned it out. One thing to note is that since the i4 M50 will get you to speed limit very quickly, you won't hear the full spectrum of the sounds. I like how you can turn it on/off.
I floored it in sports mode and I didn't experience this but then again sports boost is just on the m50 not on the edrive40, it only has sport and sport individual and yes mine had 19" as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 12:05 PM   #38
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Haha, that's a little harsh but yes, those things, you mentioned "Imagine overpaying for a car just because you think it's the future". You don't have to imagine that, people overpay for teslas every day !
I misunderstood, but you’re right
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 10:55 PM   #39
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Alpine White may just be the best color for the i4.
      03-17-2022, 04:09 PM   #40
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:

What about them?
Shoddily built? Yes.

Overpriced? Look at the other EV offerings in the space and tell me they are overpriced.

2 hours to recharge? LOL. Now you just hatin.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2022, 04:13 PM   #41
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

No test drive but sat in my dealer's demo car yesterday.

Damn, that back seat is TIGHT. I'm 6'2" and could no way sit behind myself, which is a problem since my son is already almost 6'1".

Otherwise it's like a 4GC with a better dash, IMO. The wheel blocks a good bit of the IP but I do like the iDrive 8. Very snappy and pretty easy to navigate...but I'm used to a giant touch screen so not a lot of learning curve for me.

One thing I would miss (especially as a tall guy) is a power adjusting steering wheel with comfort entry.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 04:28 PM   #42
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post

Damn, that back seat is TIGHT. I'm 6'2" and could no way sit behind myself, which is a problem since my son is already almost 6'1".

Otherwise it's like a 4GC with a better dash, IMO. The wheel blocks a good bit of the IP but I do like the iDrive 8. Very snappy and pretty easy to navigate...but I'm used to a giant touch screen so not a lot of learning curve for me.

One thing I would miss (especially as a tall guy) is a power adjusting steering wheel with comfort entry.
I need to contact my dealer.

The back seat is cool for me since I'm 5'7"ish.
I had no issue sitting behind me, but a taller person will.

I haven't sat in the i4. I sat in the GC and what I immediately noticed is how big it is compared to an E90. The cat is E39 5 series size.

The auto steering wheel is nice. I have it on my X5. It doesn't come on the 3/4.

Can't wait to go harass my dealer for a test drive.
      03-17-2022, 04:48 PM   #43
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post

I think in your case the iX is the perfect family motor, tons of room in the back even with an over 6 footer in the driver’s seat. 😉
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 05:25 PM   #44
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I think in your case the iX is the perfect family motor, tons of room in the back even with an over 6 footer in the driver’s seat. 😉
Yes, I wish I could post photos but the room behind myself in the iX was very comfortable.

Unfortunately what's not comfortable, for me, is the front seat. I didn't really enjoy the seating position as even with the seat in it's lowest position, the top of the windshield was impeding my view. Shame, as I did have headroom. Also, wasn't really a fan of the minivan like open tunnel between the two front seats. I like the openness, but I wish there was some kind of bin there, at least a low one. Would be good for my wife's purse and just serves as a small visual divider. Little things help. Also would distract from the scratchy looking back plastic on the lower front of the center console.

The cargo area in the iX wasn't as bad as people were making it out to be, but it is definitely tighter than an X5. Still pretty usable. Shame the rear seats don't slide or tilt.
Appreciate 0