BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #1
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Tire and VIP status question

So I got a leak in my rear tire thanks to a drywall screw from construction (very very angry, but off topic). So I went to BMW and have two questions (totally unrelated) from everyone:

1) Would you replace just one rear tire if you had 1800 miles on them, or both? These are the Potenza summer performance tires, I am guessing overall life can't be more than 10K miles.

2) Is the VIP client bs the dealer pulls because it is an i8 or is it because I was stupid enough to overpay for an i8 with PI?

Thanks for feedback.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #2
mu2002cs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8

I had the same problem - nail thru the sidewall. Only needed the one side replaced at 2500 miles. However, I can see the wear difference.

VIP is just dealer BS - but, take full advantage! Ask for cool cars to drive when it's in for service.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Sorry to hear about your sidewall being punctured by some dimwit's carelessness. Had the same happen to me with my other vehicle a while ago. If it were me, I would just replace the punctured tire since I would end up replacing the entire set 7-8K miles from now.

Can't help you with the second question since I haven't experienced any special dealer treatment nor have I received any model i8 memento to speak of.

Last edited by YWGT3; 06-05-2015 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #4
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yw View Post
Sorry to hear about your sidewall being punctured by some dimwit's carelessness. Had the same happen to me with my other vehicle a while ago. If it were me, I would just replace the punctured tire since I would end up replacing the entire set 7-8K miles from now.

Can't help you with the second question since I haven't experienced any special dealer treatment nor have I received any model i8 memento to speak of.
See my thought is the other way: just hang on as the tire is fine and replace all 4 or 2 as needed, rather than get out of balance and blow $700 (yes you heard me, cost of ONE tire installed).
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #5
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2002cs View Post
I had the same problem - nail thru the sidewall. Only needed the one side replaced at 2500 miles. However, I can see the wear difference.

VIP is just dealer BS - but, take full advantage! Ask for cool cars to drive when it's in for service.
Tell me more please, I really am not a BMW person. So what else do I get for being a "VIP?" And is it the car or the Pure Impulse?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #6
Baron UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver i8 & RR vogue v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
See my thought is the other way: just hang on as the tire is fine and replace all 4 or 2 as needed, rather than get out of balance and blow $700 (yes you heard me, cost of ONE tire installed).
No way $700 We in the UK pay way more than you states side.

Fronts less than $400 backs less than $500 here for Potenza
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron UK View Post
No way $700 We in the UK pay way more than you states side.

Fronts less than $400 backs less than $500 here for Potenza
You forget, this is a BMW dealer! I really am NOT taking a chance having your basic tire store do the lift, install, etc.

Its not worth saving $200.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #8
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
You forget, this is a BMW dealer! I really am NOT taking a chance having your basic tire store do the lift, install, etc.

Its not worth saving $200.
Haven't had a chance to perform a tire install at a Bay Area BMW dealer for quite some time, but I can definitely say that there are excellent tire installers that specialize in both German and Italian sports cars here. In fact, they've done a better job in DELICATELY balancing and Gently mounting the tires in comparison to the work I've seen from the Mercedes and Porsche dealers. From my personal experience, the tire installation quality by the two dealers has been rather spotty. As a matter of fact, my wife recently had one of her wheels scratched up (around 1/4 of the rim) and certain areas around the lug nuts which resulted from replacing a tire at a Mercedes dealership!
Appreciate 1