Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-28-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
Mjeagent
Rep
Drives: 2015 Sophisto Grey

Uncomfortable Seatbelts

Anyone else experiencing the seatbelts riding up on their neck? At times it feels like someone is holding me at knife point. I'm about 5'11" and I've never had a problem with seatbelts in any car before. Just wondering if I'm the only one having an issue with the seatbelt height.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #2
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

I am around your height and I haven't really noticed this. I assume you are sliding the seat belt into the holder in the seat?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
igu
Swedish Viking
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
I am around your height and I haven't really noticed this. I assume you are sliding the seat belt into the holder in the seat?
I was just about to say this too. Make sure you use the holder on the side of the seats. Belts may have been "unhinged" when folded at some point.
      06-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igu View Post
I was just about to say this too. Make sure you use the holder on the side of the seats. Belts may have been "unhinged" when folded at some point.
Actually just driving I noticed the "cuts into your neck" issue even when they are in the slot. So I am changing my answer: they DO cut into my neck.

And thanks to this thread now I will ALWAYS NOTICE IT!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
Baron UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver i8 & RR vogue v8

Epirali. How tall are you. My seat belt is miles away from my neck
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
JWDnl
JD Customs
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I'm 1.96m (6'5") and yes this is one thing I don't like about the i8, every now and then I have to pull the seatbelt on my shoulder because it annoys me, it will slip back to my neck in less then a minute though....
It's not that it hurts but just annoying.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #7
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron UK View Post
Epirali. How tall are you. My seat belt is miles away from my neck
I am 5'11" but have an "interesting" ratio in that I think my legs are longer than my torso relative to typical person of same height. So I may in a seated position be closer to someone who is 5'9". I also tend to lower chair all the way.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #8
Mjeagent
Rep
Drives: 2015 Sophisto Grey

Yea, have the seatbelt through the holder and it's right on my neck. So annoying. Most of the my cars have the ability to adjust the height of the seatbelt to avoid such an issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 02:13 AM   #9
SANguru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X5 50,M550i,Tesla, MP4-12c

you can buy some aftermarket seatbelt padding.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjeagent View Post
Anyone else experiencing the seatbelts riding up on their neck? At times it feels like someone is holding me at knife point. I'm about 5'11" and I've never had a problem with seatbelts in any car before. Just wondering if I'm the only one having an issue with the seatbelt height.
I'm 6'2" and I never ever even notice the seat belt. Until I need to get something from my briefcase, which is normally in the passenger footwell. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #11
rap427
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i8

Garage List
I'm 6'4" and have never had a problem. Maybe those less than 6'.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 06:23 PM   #12
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

I'm 5' 10½" and haven't encountered the same problem. The issue could possibly be resolved by adjusting the seat recline which may also result in some adjustments to the telescopic steering column.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:46 PM   #13
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjeagent View Post
Try adjusting the seat height higher in order to have the seatbelt positioned away from your neck and more toward your shoulder. Hope that will resolve the issue for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #14
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
While there are a good number of 6'+ people in here, does the whole tucking your head down to clear the threshold bother you? When I first got the car I would bang my ear all the time getting in and bang my forehead getting out. After working out on shoulders and upper back, it was downright painful to bend my head down enough to clear it. Just wondering if it was just me. Seems like the car's design is conducive to a very specific size/body type.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #15
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
While there are a good number of 6'+ people in here, does the whole tucking your head down to clear the threshold bother you? When I first got the car I would bang my ear all the time getting in and bang my forehead getting out. After working out on shoulders and upper back, it was downright painful to bend my head down enough to clear it. Just wondering if it was just me. Seems like the car's design is conducive to a very specific size/body type.
Rubbed my ear on the i8 once while entering in a hurry. But also done that (as well as bumping the noggin) a few times while either exiting or entering sports cars with a lower ride height or profile. Over time, learned through the school of hard knocks to bend the upper body and knees more.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #16
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

I am used to much more difficult cars, so the i8 really is a breeze to enter/exit. Cars like the S1 Exige, or even worse my old Caterham Superlight R with hood up. The latter was literally impossible for me to exit without getting hands on the ground.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 06:54 AM   #17
rap427
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i8

Garage List
Sit in the seat with your legs out and then swing them in. On exit swing your legs out first, put you right hand at 4 o'clock on the steering wheel and push yourself out. I'm 6'4"
And no head hits.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #18
igu
Swedish Viking
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rap427 View Post
Sit in the seat with your legs out and then swing them in. On exit swing your legs out first, put you right hand at 4 o'clock on the steering wheel and push yourself out. I'm 6'4"
And no head hits.
Had to think about what I actually do but this is pretty much identical my movements (not always using the steering wheel on exit though). I'm over 6' as well...

And for the record, no seatbelt issue here.
      06-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #19
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I guess some of us just have delicate necks...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 03:52 AM   #20
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Just you, I think. No headbanging here, unless I play the right kind of music ...

BTW I also don't do that silly sit your butt down in the sill, slide in, lift both legs over move that my sales rep showed me. I don't find the i8 that much more difficult to get into, compared to other cars. Only my wife does when she's in a short skirt.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 05:47 AM   #21
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

I step with one foot in and sit down at the same time. Then the other leg in. By far fastest and cleanest way.
Appreciate 0