Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
My i8 is coming in soon but...

I have questions on the tire size. I'm coming from an M6 on aftermarket wheels with 325 rear tires on it. I hate the look of skinny tires. Yes, I am aware they serve a purpose, but I don't think going a little wider will have too big an adverse effect. I've seen on the technical specifications on the BMW website that there is an option for a wider set of tires (215f/245r). My question is, how can I make sure my car is delivered with this tire size? Does it depend on the wheel style I select? I went with the 470 wheel style? Or is is something independent of the wheel style which must be specified to the factory (seeing as how it's not even on the selectable options on BMW USA's online configurator)?
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #2
igu
Swedish Viking
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i8

As far as I know there are two types or rims that come with the wider rubber and they are:
2HP - 20" BMW i Light Alloy Turbine wheels style 625 w/ mixed tires
2W8 - 20" BMW i Light Alloy W Spoke wheels style 470 w/ mixed tires

Both of these styles come with the following configuration:
F: 7 1/2 J x 20, 215/45 R20
R: 8 1/2 J x 20, 245/40 R20

If you ordered "470" it should be the 2W8 which is the wider set, so you should be fine :-)

--igu
      06-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Oh man, are you leaving us 6ers?! Quite the upgrade though, so congratulations!

If you are- do you have any immediate plans for your adv1 wheels? If you're considering selling them, please keep me informed.
      06-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls
Oh man, you're leaving us 6ers?! Quite the upgrade though, so congratulations!

do you have any immediate plans for your adv1 wheels? If you're considering selling them, please keep me informed.
Thanks man. I'm only gone temporarily. Was gonna order another M6 (fully individual this time) but then decided to try something different for a little while having had a couple of M6s for almost 7 years I decided to try some change. But I'll surely be back in a while. My ADV1s will be up for sale soon btw.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre
Quote:

do you have any immediate plans for your adv1 wheels? If you're considering selling them, please keep me informed.
Thanks man. I'm only gone temporarily. Was gonna order another M6 (fully individual this time) but then decided to try something different for a little while having had a couple of M6s for almost 7 years I decided to try some change. But I'll surely be back in a while. My ADV1s will be up for sale soon btw.
I feel you, I took the individual route on my 2016 m6- (started in March- did frozen black, Opal white full merino, 6 spd MT) and 4 months later I'm finally waiting for a shipping vessel for my car to be on the way to Los Angeles. Brutal wait but will be well worth it.

Looking forward to your review on the i8 since that's hopefully my next step in a few years.
I'll keep an eye out for your post in regards to the wheels. Congrats again and hope much more success coming your way!
      06-09-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I feel you, I took the individual route on my 2016 m6- (started in March- did frozen black, Opal white full merino, 6 spd MT) and 4 months later I'm finally waiting for a shipping vessel for my car to be on the way to Los Angeles. Brutal wait but will be well worth it.

Looking forward to your review on the i8 since that's hopefully my next step in a few years.
I'll keep an eye out for your post in regards to the wheels. Congrats again and hope much more success coming your way!
Congrats on the new M6. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for the car to go from the "Order received" status to "production completed"?
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:42 PM   #7
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Congrats on the new M6. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for the car to go from the "Order received" status to "production completed"?
Thanks man. It was first accepted as a "special order" on the 11th of April but we submitted it for approval on the 3rd of March. They weren't being too receptive at first due to frozen black on Opal white with a manual transmission but they finally gave in. My estimated completion date was June 1st, but ended on May 21st, so 10 days earlier than expected. I attached the beginning stages to give you an idea
Attached Images