BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-12-2021, 09:13 PM   #2003
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Those routine traffic stops will get you....

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNh0Qvr...d=5zvqqc2xgg9z

I poke, but this is another example of how you never know when it'll be your day. That was the tail end of a DUI SFST based on the one-legged-stand.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      04-12-2021, 09:27 PM   #2004
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post

I poke, but this is another example of how you never know when it'll be your day. That was the tail end of a DUI SFST based on the one-legged-stand.
The title is pretty misleading. Allowed to reach inside? I was waiting to see when he would be 'allowed' to go to his vehicle to grab something halfway lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 09:29 PM   #2005
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:

The title is pretty misleading. Allowed to reach inside? I was waiting to see when he would be 'allowed' to go to his vehicle to grab something halfway lol.
Haha! True. I think the allowed portion of the title was more of a, "What if...?" scenario.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      04-12-2021, 09:40 PM   #2006
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haha! True. I think the allowed portion of the title was more of a, "What if...?" scenario.
I can imagine you in a tussle with someone like that, then once you straighten him up he asks "officer can I go to my car to grab some water real quick?" Like any cop would say "ahhh yes, ofcourse. Just make it quick so I can put cuffs on you after"
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24961.00
      04-12-2021, 10:18 PM   #2007
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@Sedan_Clan curious to hear your thoughts on the shooting of Daunte Wright and how the officer said he mistakenly grabbed his gun instead of his taser. They are calling it an "accidental discharge". How tf do you mistake a gun for a taser?
So the issue is the music memory. It helps, but it also hinders. It's for this reason your less lethal taser should be opposite your duty weapon. My duty weapon is on my right hip; my taser is on my left thigh.
Understood. But how can you not tell right away once you reach for it based on the weight? A taser weighs nothing like a loaded glock.

The family will get a massive settlement from this I presume (not that it matters since they lost someone). But hard to believe such a dumb mistake can be made.
There a bunch of things that go into play and it's not black and white.
Mistaking a gun for a taser when you are trained in the field and it is your job, inexcusable in any manner. A life was lost because she failed at her job. Should be tossed in jail like any other person would.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 10:24 PM   #2008
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@Sedan_Clan curious to hear your thoughts on the shooting of Daunte Wright and how the officer said he mistakenly grabbed his gun instead of his taser. They are calling it an "accidental discharge". How tf do you mistake a gun for a taser?
So the issue is the music memory. It helps, but it also hinders. It's for this reason your less lethal taser should be opposite your duty weapon. My duty weapon is on my right hip; my taser is on my left thigh.
Understood. But how can you not tell right away once you reach for it based on the weight? A taser weighs nothing like a loaded glock.

The family will get a massive settlement from this I presume (not that it matters since they lost someone). But hard to believe such a dumb mistake can be made.
There a bunch of things that go into play and it's not black and white.
Mistaking a gun for a taser when you are trained in the field and it is your job, inexcusable in any manner. A life was lost because she failed at her job. Should be tossed in jail like any other person would.
This isn't the first time something like this has happened. Muscle memory happens without thought, like driving or throwing punches & kicks (..as a trained fighter). It's an easy mistake to make when there's tension, adrenaline, etc. I'm not taking away from the mistake that officer made, but she wasn't the first to do it and she won't be the last.

She is deserving of her due process just like anybody else.
Appreciate 2
Tuxedo1400.00
mahalom3163.00
      04-13-2021, 12:32 AM   #2009
Randysoymn
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Ðержавеющий металл оптовые поÑтавки

Привет. Я предлагаю приобреÑти Ñ Ð´Ð¾Ñтавкой лиÑтовой прокат и трубы из ÐЕÐ*ЖÐВЕЙКИ.
Замечательные Ñкидки на лиÑÑ‚Ñ‹ из AISI Ñплавов. КÑтати, вÑе ÐИСИ трубы тоже могут быть уÑпешно
оформлены Ñо Ñкидкой!!!
Узнай как купить нержавеющие лиÑÑ‚Ñ‹ из ÐИСИ
Ð*екомендую приобреÑти неражавеющие трубы пока на них ÐКЦИЯ

Ð’ каталоге можно более полно ознакомитÑÑ Ñ Ð¿Ñ€Ð¾Ð´ÑƒÐºÑ†Ð¸ÐµÐ¹ в том чиÑле Ñо Ñтальным прокатом.
СпаÑибо что потратили минутку вниманиÑ.
СÑылка на каталог
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 05:24 AM   #2010
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Sad loss of life. Better tactics might've saved this officer's life.

Good call from Captain Obvious.

But the driver had the confidence of the cop; spidy sense didn't save him.
So we can accept guys driving around with loaded AKs, or we can seek to lessen such unneeded behavior, using other ways to save a cops life.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 06:40 AM   #2011
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post

So we can accept guys driving around with loaded AKs, or we can seek to lessen such unneeded behavior, using other ways to save a cops life.

Murf
Just an observation, your "Captain Obvious" remark is the kind of thing you do that ramp up these exchanges from comfortable discussions to abuse.

You have a track record on this forum regarding guns, and that's fine as it's your opinion. The problem the US has and Canada by our physical closeness and porous border is a proliferation of illegal guns. Those guns that are in the hands of criminals aren't going away in any or our lifetimes. That is a whole other debate that frankly isn't worth the oxygen.
Appreciate 1
Lady Jane70138.00
      04-13-2021, 07:39 AM   #2012
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:

Murf
Just an observation, your "Captain Obvious" remark is the kind of thing you do that ramp up these exchanges from comfortable discussions to abuse.

You have a track record on this forum regarding guns, and that's fine as it's your opinion. The problem the US has and Canada by our physical closeness and porous border is a proliferation of illegal guns. Those guns that are in the hands of criminals aren't going away in any or our lifetimes. That is a whole other debate that frankly isn't worth the oxygen.
Yes, he does it purposely, all while ignoring the fact that there are thousands of gun laws on the books........many which already prohibit things that took place in that video. He fails to comprehend that criminals don't abide by gun laws (...or any laws for that matter). No law was going to save that officer's life. His only chance was better tactics/back-up.
Appreciate 7
Murf99314114.00
Buug95917112.50
mahalom3163.00
Lady Jane70138.00
jzmundy991.00
bosstones1154.00
      04-13-2021, 07:58 AM   #2013
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes, he does it purposely, all while ignoring the fact that there are thousands of gun laws on the books........many which already prohibit things that took place in that video. He fails to comprehend that criminals don't abide by gun laws (...or any laws for that matter). No law was going to save that officer's life. His only chance was tactics/back-up.
I hate seeing things like this happen, hopefully there will be some lessons learned.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24961.00
      04-13-2021, 08:05 AM   #2014
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, he does it purposely, all while ignoring the fact that there are thousands of gun laws on the books........many which already prohibit things that took place in that video. He fails to comprehend that criminals don't abide by gun laws (...or any laws for that matter). No law was going to save that officer's life. His only chance was tactics/back-up.
I hate seeing things like this happen, hopefully there will be some lessons learned.
Agreed! I tend to take something away from every incident involving law enforcement.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      04-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #2015
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

(I think I should have called him Captain Avoidance.)
That is the oxygen, or the elephant in the room, if you will.
Approaching from the other side of the car is a very limited solution, & frankly, hardly the concern of citizens.
How did the legal guns become illegal guns? Not by themselves; a person helped.
In the US, the excuse for inaction is always "2A", until the shooting, when it becomes "...he was crazy & ...!"
Where is the action in between? You know, the hard part?

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 04-13-2021 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #2016
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Agreed! I tend to take something away from every incident involving law enforcement.
I'll never say "I've seen it all", I haven't but not much surprises me anymore. I do miss the job, greatest show on earth. I was constantly learning and when I was training new officers I reenforced this concept, always learn and watch how other coppers do things. I never had all the answers, I knew what worked for me but I was always looking for better safer ways to do things.

I was assault dozens of times, and I always learned from that and changed/up'd my game as a result.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      04-13-2021, 09:05 AM   #2017
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, he does it purposely, all while ignoring the fact that there are thousands of gun laws on the books........many which already prohibit things that took place in that video. He fails to comprehend that criminals don't abide by gun laws (...or any laws for that matter). No law was going to save that officer's life. His only chance was better tactics/back-up.
Tell that to the Australians.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:11 AM   #2018
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Approaching from the other side of the car is a very limited solution, & frankly, hardly the concern of citizens.
In the US, the excuse for inaction is always "2A", until the shooting, when it becomes "...he was crazy & ...!"
Where is the action in between?

Murf
Again with the name calling, why?

You can not appreciate the subtleties of this type of a situation until you've walked up to a car full of asshole on the side of the road in the middle of the night by yourself. The tactics are subtle, fluid and can be dynamic. You have to make subtle choices/decision and you often aren't aware you're making them. Approaching a car on the passenger side has never been something I thought made sense. There are some who swear by it. From my view standing behind the drivers left shoulder forcing him to be off balance to see you is an advantage. I hate seeing coppers leaning in the drivers window or standing directly beside the driver's door. You are in a kill zone, and are asking for trouble if someone want's to give it to you.

I won't get into the illegal possession of guns with you as it will only end up going in circles like every other time....as I've said in another post, I try to learn from past experience and modify my behaviour moving forward.
Appreciate 2
mahalom3163.00
Lady Jane70138.00
      04-13-2021, 09:19 AM   #2019
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You can not appreciate the subtleties of this type of a situation until you've walked up to a car full of asshole on the side of the road in the middle of the night by yourself. The tactics are subtle, fluid and can be dynamic. You have to make subtle choices/decision and you often aren't aware you're making them. Approaching a car on the passenger side has never been something I thought made sense. There are some who swear by it. From my view standing behind the drivers left shoulder forcing him to be off balance to see you is an advantage. I hate seeing coppers leaning in the drivers window or standing directly beside the driver's door. You are in a kill zone, and are asking for trouble if someone want's to give it to you.
....as I've said in another post, I try to learn from past experience and modify my behaviour moving forward.
Exactly

The public has some nerve asking anybody to do this job! Basically because some think we need a gun in every kitchen. Or ten.
I guess we will not discuss how we got here, nor how to get out. But don't be under the illusion that this machostupid locker room talk is anything but that.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #2020
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Again with the name calling, why?....
I think I saw intellectual laziness.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:22 AM   #2021
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Exactly

The public has some nerve asking anybody to do this job! Basically because some think we need a gun in every kitchen. Or ten.
I guess we will not discuss how we got here, nor how to get out. But don't be under the illusion that this machostupid locker room talk is anything but that.

Murf
There has been discussion, debate and comment at naussium about "how we got here", every law enforcement agency in the developed world in partnership with prosecutors are constantly working on how to deal with illegal guns among all the other crime. No point in discussing this with you because I know what you'll trot out "Australia" for example.
Appreciate 2
mahalom3163.00
Lady Jane70138.00
      04-13-2021, 09:31 AM   #2022
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There has been discussion, debate and comment at naussium about "how we got here", every law enforcement agency in the developed world in partnership with prosecutors are constantly working on how to deal with illegal guns among all the other crime. No point in discussing this with you because I know what you'll trot out "Australia" for example.
And I know we can't discuss too far here.
But if we aren't too provincial, we can learn from what works elsewhere, even Australia (or the International Association of Chiefs of Police).
Or we can trot out the hand wringing.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 10:00 AM   #2023
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Where is the action in between?

Murf

I won't get into the illegal possession of guns with you as it will only end up going in circles like every other time....as I've said in another post, I try to learn from past experience and modify my behaviour moving forward.
Agreed!

I ignore him, but thanks for articulating my thoughts.
Appreciate 4
mahalom3163.00
BMWGUYinCO4118.50
Lady Jane70138.00
Murf99314114.00
      04-13-2021, 10:01 AM   #2024
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Shakir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Why would you have your gun out for a routine traffic stop? Seems excessive.
When we put our lives on the line everyday and every night for the people in our city and community whom we do not know. I will do everything to protect myself and go home to my family. The driver or passenger will never know I have my gun out because I have down low and behind my right thigh. I love the public's perception but it is different when they are the victim.