BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-14-2020, 12:19 AM   #23
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Biochem degree, which I never used once.

But I was able to land multiple jobs with a degree that is unrelated to the field.
Similar. Bachelors in Aerospace Engineering. I sell computers for a living now (have for the past 20 yrs) and the only time I use my degree is to impress people on car forums when I throw out terms like lift, drag and coefficient.

That said, my degree has helped open doors to a lot of the major multinationals and I've done my stints in the Dells and Microsofts of the world. So it really depends on what you want to do with your life. If you're happy in sales - and you will likely make more in sales - then you may not need the degree. If you want a career change or want to get into a large company, then the paper is useful.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983940.50
      12-14-2020, 12:19 AM   #24
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Personal thoughts:
College is not for everyone just as trades aren't for everyone. Both provide ample opportunity for success. Some people are just better wired for one over the other. Based on you jr college, are you able to manage your time effectively?

Perhaps most importantly, be sure to consider:
1. What will your major buy you (ie what can you do with it and how does it fit in with YOUR plans for the future)?
2. What earning potential does your major have?
3. What is your projected debt (eg student loans/loans) coming out of college? You'll want to weigh that vs your reasonably expected income post-graduation.
Based on you jr college, are you able to manage your time effectively?

I was pretty much able to manage my time pretty well working and going to school. The GM of the dealership worked around my school schedule so my work wasn't interfering with my school and he made sure I had enough time to do my HW. Now with classes online, I just do my HW, Quizzes, and tests during my break. Zoom calls aren't mandatory for any of my classes and if I do have a question, I email my professors and get a response back within the next hour or so.

Answerss to your questions:

1. I am majoring in Operations and Information Management (Some schools call it "Information and Decisions Science") . This degree can land me in basically any computer-related job.
For ex:
Systems analyst
Systems administrator
Business analyst
Network architect
Web developer
Technical writer
Information security analyst
Database administrator

I honestly just want a life where I am not living paycheck to paycheck and I don't have to worry about paying a huge emergency or unexpected bill. I want a 9-5 job and have weekends off to work on cars. I really want a house with enough acreage out back where I can have a shop built and work on older BMWs, Porsches, etc and keep them as weekend cars or vacation cars. Somewhat of a hobby, I guess.

2. Median range from $94k-$153k/year

3. My debt coming out of the 4-year university will be roughly $35k-$45k (tuition, books, etc included). That's if I decide to take out a loan. I might pay out of pocket and try getting some financial aid. I paid out of pocket for Community college. But, the 2 years I've attended there (including this upcoming spring semester) I paid $5,414 without books included.

My dad who migrated to the United States from India back in the late 70s never went to college. He was attending a 4-year university in India (studying electrical engineer) but I guess his parents needed money so they sent him out to the U.S. He struggled his way up ofc and now makes $168k/year without a college degree. He works at an injection molding company as a process engineer. He never went to school to get that degree. I don't remember right, but I think the old company he worked for in New Jersey sent him to trade school. I don't know for what but that's basically all the schooling he went here in the U.S. He's been working for that same company for almost 21 years now. The company used to be called Ropak Packaging but someone else brought it a while ago and now it's now called Mauser Packaging.

Last edited by Mosaud1998; 12-14-2020 at 12:37 AM..
Appreciate 2
bosstones1154.00
Kelse921131.50
      12-14-2020, 12:29 AM   #25
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Graduated with a BS in occupational health and safety and then worked a career in IT, so the major didn't really mean anything. As others have said, it's more about showing that you were able to complete a four year degree regardless of what field it was in. I've also lost out at least twice to candidates that had masters degrees and I didn't. I've never regretted getting the education. Also, I got my entire education through night classes while working full time for an employer that offered tuition reimbursement.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983940.50
      12-14-2020, 02:06 AM   #26
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post

I was pretty much able to manage my time pretty well working and going to school. The GM of the dealership worked around my school schedule so my work wasn't interfering with my school and he made sure I had enough time to do my HW. Now with classes online, I just do my HW, Quizzes, and tests during my break. Zoom calls aren't mandatory for any of my classes and if I do have a question, I email my professors and get a response back within the next hour or so.

1. I am majoring in Operations and Information Management (Some schools call it "Information and Decisions Science") . This degree can land me in basically any computer-related job.
For ex:
Systems analyst
Systems administrator
Business analyst
Network architect
Web developer
Technical writer
Database administrator

I honestly just want a life where I am not living paycheck to paycheck and I don't have to worry about paying a huge emergency or unexpected bill. I want a 9-5 job and have weekends off to work on cars. I really want a house with enough acreage out back where I can have a shop built and work on older BMWs, Porsches, etc and keep them as weekend cars or vacation cars. Somewhat of a hobby, I guess.

3. My debt coming out of the 4-year university will be roughly $35k-$45k (tuition, books, etc included). That's if I decide to take out a loan. I might pay out of pocket and try getting some financial aid. I paid out of pocket for Community college. But, the 2 years I've attended there (including this upcoming spring semester) I paid $5,414 without books included.

My dad who migrated to the United States from India back in the late 70s never went to college. He was attending a 4-year university in India (studying electrical engineer) but I guess his parents needed money so they sent him out to the U.S. He struggled his way up ofc and now makes $168k/year without a college degree. He works at an injection molding company as a process engineer. He never went to school to get that degree. I don't remember right, but I think the old company he worked for in New Jersey sent him to trade school. I don't know for what but that's basically all the schooling he went here in the U.S. He's been working for that same company for almost 21 years now. The company used to be called Ropak Packaging but someone else brought it a while ago and now it's now called Mauser Packaging.
I've been in IT for a couple decades now. Have a BS degree in Materials Science Engineering. My opinion of college is it's overrated. If your interest and dream job requires this level of education, by all means. But going into trades or getting actual experience should not be ignored or looked down upon either. Just because one has a piece of paper doesn't make them more superior than someone who doesn't. That's the problem I have with how this society just elevates one's stature because they have a college degree. I know a few who have very technical degrees who are blithering idiots when it comes to common sense. One got straight A's going for her Electrical Engineering degree but couldn't figure out where the main breaker panel is and how to reset a breaker.

As to the list of jobs your potential degree could translate to, I don't see it. Sorry. Unless the curriculum for your degree is going to have classes specific to at least providing the basics you need for each of those job categories, there's no way. And with how diverse and far apart those job categories are....again I don't see it. A database administrator would need to have a command on SQL where as a network architect would not. But a network architect would require a strong command over such topics as TCP/IP communications where a database administrator would care less. I'm just basing this on my experience working as a Federal government contractor that has stood up million dollar data centers and now working as a Sales Engineer selling various IT products.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983940.50
      12-14-2020, 07:29 AM   #27
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
I am also planning on getting into real estate and selling/flipping houses with my friend whos been flipping houses for a few years with his dad now.
You can actually go to college and work on your first flip at the same time. How? Buy a 2-3 BR condo near your school. Take in 1-2 room mates from the school to pay the mortgage. When you graduate, sell the condo and roll any profit into the next flip.

For any parents of high school kids reading this, the strategy worked so well with large urban schools before the 2008 bubble popped where a lot of them could cash out after 4-6 years and use the profit to pay off their kid's student loans mostly with money from room mate rent and real estate appreciation.....
Kelse921131.50
      12-14-2020, 07:58 AM   #28
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I went to college and got my bachelor's degree. I was fortunate enough that I was able to work full-time while commuting to school and graduate with very little debt. The degree I have is not in the field that I currently work in (Technology). Work experience seemed more important in the job I have now, as they would've substituted that for the degree if I didn't have one.

My thoughts are this:

College is never a bad thing, but whether or not it is something you should do depends greatly on your career plans. I actually think most people shouldn't go straight to college after high school, and maybe try a few different internships to see what they'd like to do. Lots of people out there who blindly just went to college to get a degree, and now have student debt that will stay with them for a LONG time. You have to think about how much you will be paying for college, and if the degree will help you earn more money for your intended career goals.

Consider the trades. My father is the IT director for a technical high school system. Many of the local companies are telling the school system that they will hire as many people as the school graduates because they can't find enough workers to fill positions. They graduate lots of 18 year old kids who start out making $60,000 a year with zero student debt. My plumber makes around $150,000 a year.

If you do plan on going to college, go to a community college to get your gen ed classes out of the way. It's much cheaper than paying for those same classes at a "name brand" college. Once you have those, decide what your major is and transfer to a different school. You will save a ton of money that way.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615277.00
Mosaud19983940.50
      12-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #29
stilem235
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i xdrive

In actuality it depends on your drive and focus and ability to talk in public. I have several friends making more than 3 million a year and much more who have based on their ability to talk made 7 to 8 figure incomes. I myself am more comfortable making six figures and working as an employee. I also do not like doing work when I come home. I do 40 a week and am done, which is indicative of my salary. If I had more ambition and social skill I would have far greater earning capabilities. Bottom line is you can start with any large company and based on your mouth and willingness to work overtime for free, this also entails taking credit for the success of others, be in middle management in a few years. Never stay at a job longer than three years. Lie often and you will earn a lot of money.
      12-14-2020, 08:30 AM   #30
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

its not for everyone, but when I came out of HS and did construction and sold Jeeps for a few years..I said I didn't want to do this at 50.

2 years of Community, 2 years more for BS in Accounting. Waited tables, lived on my own, and paid for it all, going to FT school. I'm now a CFO.

Make sure you do a "trade" in college. Now a days, computers is it, will always be. So IT, Business (acct/fin) law, med etc.

As a rule, college degree's don't pay off immediately, but the will 20 years down the road.

BUT....do what you want, not what makes money, latter will come IMO.
Appreciate 2
      12-14-2020, 08:41 AM   #31
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

It sounds like OP is already interested in the field that he is in. So I'd recommend pursuing routes within your current company. Express interests in other aspects and see if they would be willing to create a path for you to get there. It sounds like you are doing well at your current place of employment, hence why take a more difficult route then what could be offered.

The reason I'm where I am at today is because of relationships built while in college. Not necessarily the degree. Without meeting my best man I wouldn't have found out about certain internship opportunities that put me on the path to where I am currently. The debt sucks, and often the younger generation does not know their own worth. Which is a difficult thing to know when you have never been evaluated. My advice would be to leverage every situation that you can, and never give them a reason to doubt your work ethic. Younger generation is often viewed as lazy, I like making them eat those words haha.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983940.50
      12-14-2020, 10:10 AM   #32
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328d Sport Line

Garage List
My response isn't necessarily meant for the OP only, my hope is it applies to a broader readership.

I agree with those who said being educated is a benefit to you, your (future/current) family, and society.

While an undergraduate education does not provide all of the life skills needed to thrive (I'm talking about fulfillment, inner peace, etc.) it provides the opportunity to learn much more than what's discussed in lectures and textbooks. In addition, it's an effective way to meet people of different backgrounds and viewpoints which will help form the person you become longer term.

If the question is, should I go to college and is it worth it? I believe the answer is yes. I think the follow-on questions need to include:
1. What do I want out of my life? What's important to me?
2. What type of school environment will help me on my path?
3. What type of degree does my path require?
4. Should I get a degree in something very specific or something useful but more general that could give me several career options?
5. What are my interests and strengths and how do I maximize those when determining my field of study and potential career paths?

While money is necessary, it isn't the key to happiness or long term fulfillment. If your primary motivation is external stimulus and rewards, just be open to the idea that this may not lead to the life you truly need and your viewpoint on this will hopefully evolve as you go through life.

Possibly more important than receiving a degree are the experiences you expose yourself to during college. The people, discussions, challenges, disappointments, heartbreaks, triumphs, relationships, endless hours studying, and work opportunities will all contribute to what happens next...

Kudos to you for thinking through your choices and reaching out to the forum for advice. It isn't an easy decision and it doesn't come without costs (money, time, effort, pain, etc.). I wish you well in your journey.
Appreciate 2
Mosaud19983940.50
Kelse921131.50
      12-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #33
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Quote:
Personal thoughts:
College is not for everyone just as trades aren't for everyone. Both provide ample opportunity for success. Some people are just better wired for one over the other. Based on you jr college, are you able to manage your time effectively?

Perhaps most importantly, be sure to consider:
1. What will your major buy you (ie what can you do with it and how does it fit in with YOUR plans for the future)?
2. What earning potential does your major have?
3. What is your projected debt (eg student loans/loans) coming out of college? You'll want to weigh that vs your reasonably expected income post-graduation.

For ex:
Systems analyst
Systems administrator
Business analyst
Network architect
Web developer
Technical writer
Database administrator

I think some of the later responses hit it but ultimately the answers to those question are for you, not me.

My main point is really to make sure you understand why you are talking about going to college and hope to get out of it. Think it through and decide if the benefit outweighs the cost.

A lot of people seem to go because they are told they need to and/or believe they will magically make bank coming out of it. I'm sure you see all the calls for student loan forgiveness and how financially challenged a number of graduates are. I know someone who went to state college for 6 years, mostly on loans, and eventually graduated w/ a degree that nets around 45k/yr. They are working in the field they went to school for. Please don't be this person. There are far too many like them.

It certainly is a big decision! Best wishes.
Kelse921131.50
      12-14-2020, 12:41 PM   #34
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
I think some of the later responses hit it but ultimately the answers to those question are for you, not me.

My main point is really to make sure you understand why you are talking about going to college and hope to get out of it. Think it through and decide if the benefit outweighs the cost.

A lot of people seem to go because they are told they need to and/or believe they will magically make bank coming out of it. I'm sure you see all the calls for student loan forgiveness and how financially challenged a number of graduates are. I know someone who went to state college for 6 years, mostly on loans, and eventually graduated w/ a degree that nets around 45k/yr. They are working in the field they went to school for. Please don't be this person. There are far too many like them.

Wtf, 6 years of college and only makes $45k/year? What a waste of money.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2020, 12:58 PM   #35
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilem235 View Post
In actuality it depends on your drive and focus and ability to talk in public. I have several friends making more than 3 million a year and much more who have based on their ability to talk made 7 to 8 figure incomes. I myself am more comfortable making six figures and working as an employee. I also do not like doing work when I come home. I do 40 a week and am done, which is indicative of my salary. If I had more ambition and social skill I would have far greater earning capabilities. Bottom line is you can start with any large company and based on your mouth and willingness to work overtime for free, this also entails taking credit for the success of others, be in middle management in a few years. Never stay at a job longer than three years. Lie often and you will earn a lot of money.
Meh, be careful with that one, it usually catches up with you eventually. I know several who used this tactic, thought they were great at it, and did well for maybe 10 years or so. It backfired, and they paid dearly. It works well until you cross the wrong person who is better at it than you are.
Appreciate 1
E91WAG3N1247.50
      12-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #36
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's more common than you think, but just because you start at 45k/year doesn't mean the path upward is limited. I know that in my current position, having the degree + the experience has given me leverage where not having the degree might have excluded me.

I think the main take away is what will you use it for? Is the degree going to be worth the price? I know people who graduated with essentially a mortgage for a job that will never pay very much. They were too caught up in the college "experience", and are paying dearly for it now.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1154.00
      12-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #37
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
There are zero people at my workplace who don't have at least a bachelor's, and about half have PhDs. So it is a prerequisite for some careers.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615277.00
Germanauto9702.50
      12-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #38
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I went through my undergrad schooling in my mid-30's. Started part-time and then went full-time hard the last year. 11 credits hours over the summer, 24 in the fall, and 27 in the spring to finish up. I learned a shit load and ended up doing a summer long internship at NASA right out of school. Got hired by the first engineering firm I applied to. So yes, it was well worth it.

Fast forward 10 years and I went back to get my masters. Didn't learn a damn thing because I'd already been working in the field for almost a decade. But it got me a huge raise and then my current job, so even though I learned zip, I suppose you could say it was worth it.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615277.00
      12-14-2020, 02:00 PM   #39
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I went to College and it worked out well for me; however, I personally think we live in a much much different world today.

1) College is far more expensive than ever before.
2) Everyone is getting degrees, decreasing the value of degrees.
3) Schools are not helping anyone with jobs and are running it as a business.
4) Job markets are heavily skewed towards experience.

If I went to school today, I would be 110% sure what it was I wanted to study and do research over and over to see true job prospects once I graduate. This... after I researched and made sure that I couldn't self teach myself the skills without school and find a job.

Grad school... don't even get me started... an MBA has to be the #1 most made fun out of degree.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 02:09 PM   #40
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

I was in a similar situation. I was 22 and working at a foreign automotive shop. Pretty much a cross roads, either move up to servicing better cars or get a degree and do something else. After some soul searching decided to take the college route. I graduated in 1993 so 27 years later here is my key takeaways.

Pros:
The college experience was pretty cool, I met all my best friends there and we still stay in touch today.

Two companies I've worked for have required a four year degree to be a manager or higher. (I understand this trend may grow has a filtering device for a growing workforce)

During the 08 financial crisis work was scarce so I got an A&P and worked on jets. The college experience helped me study, prep and take the exam under a clock.

Cons:
College was expensive and it never trained me for any job specifically.

A few of my friends got head starts on their careers I missed out on because I was in school.

So generally more Pro's than Cons. Plus like I listed the degree never stopped me from going back and working in my original industry. I spend four years in the hanger until work picked back up then got another job working behind a desk. Life's a journey and you rarely regret what you do but what you don't do.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 02:37 PM   #41
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Depends. Most people I know that didn't go to college are doing better financially. Many ended up with their own business and went from construction to real estate builders and sales. Thats not to say college is useless. I have friends with phds that make a ton of money too, and have proper education which does makes them smarter and more interesting people
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983940.50
      12-14-2020, 02:47 PM   #42
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Quote:

Yup! I rounded up, too, since I dont know exactly what they make. That's also after 10 years of working and they are now in a managerial role. Their field NEVER pays well.

That's why it's important to research what the degree you are interested in can yield you down the line. As some mentioned, certain fields require a bachelor's degree, while some require a Master's or even a PhD.
      12-14-2020, 03:26 PM   #43
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

College is far more expensive than ever before.

It is, but these loan numbers (and govt poss. forgiveness is insane.

My oldest got into RPI and VA tech eng, with some scholarship monies. We were helping and maybe paying for chunk, but he decided to stay put and do 2 years of community college for English 101/Science/Math.

He'll go to UVA for Data science, and assuming he works zero (he'll do some PT work and FT summer) total cost out the door will be net $69K for 4 years (thats tuition/food/room etc) (He did live here rent free for 2 years)

He can't get pell grants and other free monies (we make too much), but I'm guessing many can. You could have a 4 year degree, with starting pay over $90K+ and with a bit of work and grants, be WELL under $50K in loans, many cases way less.

Issue is (like above) folks what to be social workers (hats off very honorable profession) but $150K in loans from Notre Dame is wrong course.

(We actually have non profit I help with here, plotting said courses. Getting 18 yo out of inner city, getting them in Community college, getting them waiter jobs , great pay, complete flexibility, and tracked to graduate VCU with finance and accounting degrees, with less then $20K in loans...ALL while living alone...yea its very possible)

/rant
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 03:35 PM   #44
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Fast forward 10 years and I went back to get my masters. Didn't learn a damn thing because I'd already been working in the field for almost a decade.
I was lured out of college after two years with a job offer in my major, ironically by another college. I was sooooooo freaking bored with classes in my major while in school, and actually wound up teaching the professors their own course materials because I knew more about computer science at the time than they did. Long story short, I just received my 35-year service award. Had a blast building the information superhighway and watching computers evolve, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

The only thing that I regret is not finishing my degree at the beginning...especially when it is 100% free for employees. I cannot sit through classes or even presentations any more, which is a side effect of working behind the scenes for my entire professional career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
3) Schools are not helping anyone with jobs and are running it as a business.
I will strongly disagree with your statement, at least outside the state and for-profit schools.

One of the most heavily-weighted metrics that the feds use when ranking schools is the average employment-in-major and annual salary at certain time periods after graduation. Most private schools have awesome career centers for alumni, who have incentives because of this to find employment for every graduate (and keep finding them when necessary). Alumni get lifetime resume-writing assistance, job referrals in our region, and even invitation to alumni networking events where someone can often find a connection with another alum at a desired employer.....