BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

08-10-2022, 10:41 PM   #1
xlyntmr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Comp, '08 550i, '06 M5

frameless doors on iX

hi folks,

i am on the verge of ordering a iX M60. before i pull the trigger, i decided to go check out an iX in person at my local dealership (stevens creek bmw in santa clara). they had a iX xDrive50 on display. i noticed that the doors are frameless and when i close them they don't make the most re-assuring sound. i also noticed some gaps between the windows and the body of the car. is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 09:08 AM   #2
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I have don't have a lot of first hand experience with the iX in particular, but there are a lot of cars with frameless doors. My M3 convertible had them. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

Can you describe these gaps more?
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2022, 10:17 AM   #3
DarkPrince
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlyntmr View Post
hi folks,

i am on the verge of ordering a iX M60. before i pull the trigger, i decided to go check out an iX in person at my local dealership (stevens creek bmw in santa clara). they had a iX xDrive50 on display. i noticed that the doors are frameless and when i close them they don't make the most re-assuring sound. i also noticed some gaps between the windows and the body of the car. is this normal?
Just get the car with soft close doors and problem solved

The gaps are not normal, maybe the demo car had issues. My iX is sealed tight, pin drop silence inside
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2022, 10:32 AM   #4
Bornagain73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPrince View Post
Quote:
hi folks,

Just get the car with soft close doors and problem solved

The gaps are not normal, maybe the demo car had issues. My iX is sealed tight, pin drop silence inside
Same here, no gaps and I've had several frameless doors they all sound different than framed doors. But nothing different in the IX.
(I am currently loving my IX)
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2022, 10:39 AM   #5
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Because of the frameless design, the windows lower about 3/4" when you open a door to clear the drip-edge at the roofline. After closing a door, the window then closes the rest of the way. This design results in a different sound when closing a door, they don't sound as solid as a framed window door. I own a BMW X7 and when I finished my first test drove of an iX demo, I also noticed the difference in the sound and feel. The X7 sounds more solid because of the window frames. In the end, the frameless design is no less reliable than a framed designed, just different.
Appreciate 4
      08-11-2022, 03:37 PM   #6
xlyntmr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I have don't have a lot of first hand experience with the iX in particular, but there are a lot of cars with frameless doors. My M3 convertible had them. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

Can you describe these gaps more?
the windows seemed to be misaligned with the door frame even after the door closed and the window went back up to achieve a tight seal. i did not drive the car so i cannot tell whether this would have caused wind noise etc. during driving. it just looked a little odd to me and having driven our rock-solid-built-like-a-tank x3 m competition, it gave me reason for pause.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 03:39 PM   #7
xlyntmr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Because of the frameless design, the windows lower about 3/4" when you open a door to clear the drip-edge at the roofline. After closing a door, the window then closes the rest of the way. This design results in a different sound when closing a door, they don't sound as solid as a framed window door. I own a BMW X7 and when I finished my first test drove of an iX demo, I also noticed the difference in the sound and feel. The X7 sounds more solid because of the window frames. In the end, the frameless design is no less reliable than a framed designed, just different.
thanks. yes, i noticed that the window closes rest of the way but even then it seemed there was some protruding of the window from the door frame. perhaps i need to go take another look at the vehicle today.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 03:55 PM   #8
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
thanks. yes, i noticed that the window closes rest of the way but even then it seemed there was some protruding of the window from the door frame. perhaps i need to go take another look at the vehicle today.
Take photos and share if you do
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 03:59 PM   #9
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
I agree with all except if the window freezes with ice. It can basically get stuck in the lower position in the winter. Something to consider if you park outside a lot…
Appreciate 0