03-12-2022, 03:56 PM   #67
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
yeah I actually really liked that car and was tempted by it, but passed due to concerns about reliability

it was the right call
Great car and I think most of those quality issues have been worked out, but I still think an M car would be more reliable. Plus they've raised prices quite a bit, its over $80k now.

Personally for my next I'm considering a Boxster, G87 M2, or Quadrifoglio.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 06:45 PM   #68
cheveux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M4

When I think about the potential replacements for the M4, these two cars are the obvious and possible choices, with a greater tendency towards the Emira, especially with the 2.0 AMG engine. I explain why:
- Emira in Portugal is substantially cheaper in terms of annual taxes. Being a 2.0 is 3 times cheaper than the GTS 4.0. And also because the AMG engine seems to me to be more reliable than the V6...
- The Emira with the AMG engine has more tuning potential than the GTS
- The Emira is and seems more recent
- The Emira looks like a supercar rather than a sports car
- The Emira will cost around €85,000 with the AMG engine (without many options), while the Cayman GTS costs €124,000 without options.
- The Emira with the AMG engine will have more configuration options, mainly colors, than the Emira First edition.

... However, with the value of the Emira AMG, I can buy a semi-new Cayman GT4...
So I'll wait to test it and make my decision.
Furthermore, there is only Lotus in Spain, not Portugal, which is problematic when you need to do maintenance.

Try not to read Lotus forums looking for opinions. Most of the opinions are from Elise's owners who think that Lotus will still continue to make cars with just chassis and wheels, and don't understand that Lotus had to evolve. And in my opinion, it evolved a lot in the right way.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 08:47 PM   #69
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveux View Post
Try not to read Lotus forums looking for opinions. Most of the opinions are from Elise's owners who think that Lotus will still continue to make cars with just chassis and wheels, and don't understand that Lotus had to evolve. And in my opinion, it evolved a lot in the right way.
You're so right, don't even get me started about Evora owners. They are so biased and threatened by this car it's not even funny, taking every chance to bash it. Verging on ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 09:58 AM   #70
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

The only Lotus I've had a chance to drive was a brand new Lotus Evora. If anything, I thought the V6 was just as special as the handling of the car. People keep saying it's just a Toyota V6, but I was shocked at how LOUD the supercharger and exhaust was on a stock car. It was also fun to rev out, so I didn't feel like it was any less special than the engine from the 981 GT4 engine I drove.

Having said that, the rest of the car was kind of a let down considering its price. I keep hearing how great the shifting is on Lotus, but absolutely hated how that Evora felt (maybe it was defective). Both my friend and I kept going into the wrong gear. And the quality was suspicious at best.

Personally, I like a lot about the Emira, but there's too many questions about it before I'd be comfortable buying one. Porsche is a much safer choice in that regards.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 3
chris7197334.00
baege1332.00
Der_Wolf888.00
      03-14-2022, 04:32 PM   #71
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
The only Lotus I've had a chance to drive was a brand new Lotus Evora. If anything, I thought the V6 was just as special as the handling of the car. People keep saying it's just a Toyota V6, but I was shocked at how LOUD the supercharger and exhaust was on a stock car. It was also fun to rev out, so I didn't feel like it was any less special than the engine from the 981 GT4 engine I drove.

Having said that, the rest of the car was kind of a let down considering its price. I keep hearing how great the shifting is on Lotus, but absolutely hated how that Evora felt (maybe it was defective). Both my friend and I kept going into the wrong gear. And the quality was suspicious at best.

Personally, I like a lot about the Emira, but there's too many questions about it before I'd be comfortable buying one. Porsche is a much safer choice in that regards.
I think this real-life review is exactly why the Evora failed. Can you believe it was supposed to go heads-up against the 911?? What were thinking at Lotus?

The Emira (being prettier/more refined?) has more a realistic goal of going up against the Cayman and I think they will do it (i.e. at least be a realistic and viable alternative, whereas no one would srsly consider an Evora over a 911).
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
W///7485.00
      03-16-2022, 11:37 AM   #72
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440i6MT View Post
Fun thread to follow. OP went big.
Big dreams, big purchases, small bank account (now) and small dick (forever). Moto for my life baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Congrats OP. The Emira will certainly be one of the most bespoke and desirable cars ever built. But at this moment it is difficult to know how it drives, how reliable it will be its first couple model years, how to get it serviced, etc. GT4 is sick as hell and seems like the better choice until we know more about the Emira.
Thanks! Yeah, I figured this is the last chance to build a GT4 and I can always sell it and a build an Emira in the future if I don't like it, but not the other way around. By all accounts, the GT4 is one hell of a car, so I am sure I will love it when it gets here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Reliability is for nerds. Driven Alfas and Saabs all my life.
lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
this

it's the uncertainty of the reliability of the emira that made me go with a GTS 4.0 (picked it over the GT4 as it will be my only car and more liveable than a GT4).

the emira might offer a great driving experience, but if it's unreliable that sours everything

if the emira proves itself to be reliable I might be a late adopter...
I went back and forth between these two. The better life choice would have been the GTS. It has more creature comforts and makes more sense as a daily, but I like the looks of the GT4 better (except the spoiler, but I can look past that), and I really wanted a GT division car. Plus, I know I will track it so I ended up going in that direction, but you cant go wrong with either. How do you enjoy the GTS?

///M
Appreciate 2
baege1332.00
Germanauto9701.00
      03-16-2022, 05:37 PM   #73
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

$83k for base Emira w/ V6.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 06:47 AM   #74
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

[

I went back and forth between these two. The better life choice would have been the GTS. It has more creature comforts and makes more sense as a daily, but I like the looks of the GT4 better (except the spoiler, but I can look past that), and I really wanted a GT division car. Plus, I know I will track it so I ended up going in that direction, but you cant go wrong with either. How do you enjoy the GTS?[/QUOTE]

no doubt the gt4 has more road presence, every time I see one I question my choice!

I haven't got the gts yet, but soon...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 04:38 PM   #75
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
$83k for base Emira w/ V6.
i think its low 80s for the 4 cylinder. v6 starts in the low-mid 90s probably.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 04:41 PM   #76
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
i think its low 80s for the 4 cylinder. v6 starts in the low-mid 90s probably.
Nope, pricing as follows for US market. Info on all models released yesterday.

Base I4: $75k
Base V6: $83k
I4 First Edition: $86k
V6 First Edition: $94k
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6055.50
      03-17-2022, 04:57 PM   #77
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Nope, pricing as follows for US market. Info on all models released yesterday.

Base I4: $75k
Base V6: $83k
I4 First Edition: $86k
V6 First Edition: $94k
gotcha. i think i was just seeing pricing for the 'first edition'. interesting that the 4 cylinder first edition costs more than the base v6.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 07:42 AM   #78
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Kind of related to this thread. I also agree that the Porsches have to be driven HARD to be entertaining.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 03:15 PM   #79
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
gotcha. i think i was just seeing pricing for the 'first edition'. interesting that the 4 cylinder first edition costs more than the base v6.
V6 is a $8k up charge over the AMG I4 with standard DCT.

First Edition totals $11k in options on both engines. Nearly fully loaded.
Appreciate 0