TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
What happened?
I'm not sure but softball has not been a regular event at the Olympics. The last time they played was back in 2008 I believe and coincidentally the US women lost to Japan in the gold medal match back then too. So they were foaming at the mouth to get their so-called revenge (in a friendly manner of course) but had to wait a freakin' 13 years to do it. There were I believe 2 American players that were on that original team way back then so it was a blow to have waited all these years just to lose again. Not that Japan didn't deserve the win, they did.

The point is it makes no sense that the IOC doesn't have softball represented every 4 years. It certainly doesn't motivate young girls to strive for being an Olympic champion in that sport. Just strange.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 05:46 PM   #90
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
I've been keeping up with the Olympics, it's fun to watch some of these sports which aren't really shown on tv such as fencing, archery, water polo, track, cycling, swimming etc etc… I do enjoy it.

As far as Simone Biles pulling out due to her mental health, that was unfortunate since it did cost the US a Gold (and maybe more), and we won't be seeing her in the individuals either. It's hard to put "pulled out" and "GOAT" in the same sentence because the greats look forward to the challenge and that's when they really step up. For Simone, well not so much.

Only she knows what's going on, but it's just unfortunate this happened now since this is most likely her last Olympics since next one she would be 28 and I believe that is out of the age range you see for most competing gymnasts.
Read up on the "Twisties". It's a phenomenon where gymnasts lose their sense of spatial awareness- even the very best.

You can't "push" through them. Well, not if you want to be alive at the end of the maneuver.

I talked to my wife about them. She said she had it happen to her near the end of her collegiate career and it was the scariest thing she's ever experienced- you lose your sense of where you are in the jump and Bad Things happen from there.

She said she never really recovered, and it impacted the remainder of her collegiate career.

So. Based on this? Biles was ABSOLUTELY correct in doing what she did!!

Last edited by flybigjet; 07-29-2021 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11103.00
      07-29-2021, 05:53 PM   #91
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Quote:
I've been keeping up with the Olympics, it's fun to watch some of these sports which aren't really shown on tv such as fencing, archery, water polo, track, cycling, swimming etc etc… I do enjoy it.

As far as Simone Biles pulling out due to her mental health, that was unfortunate since it did cost the US a Gold (and maybe more), and we won't be seeing her in the individuals either. It's hard to put "pulled out" and "GOAT" in the same sentence because the greats look forward to the challenge and that's when they really step up. For Simone, well not so much.

Only she knows what's going on, but it's just unfortunate this happened now since this is most likely her last Olympics since next one she would be 28 and I believe that is out of the age range you see for most competing gymnasts.
Read up on the "Twisties" or the "Yips". It's a phenomenon where gymnasts lose their sense of spatial awareness- even the very best.

You can't "push" through them. Well, not if you want to be alive at the end of the maneuver.

I talked to my wife about them. She said she had it happen to her near the end of her collegiate career and it was the scariest thing she's ever experienced- you lose your sense of where you are in the jump and Bad Things happen from there.

She said she never really recovered, and it impacted the remainder of her collegiate career.

So. Based on this? Biles was ABSOLUTELY correct in doing what she did!!
Interesting. I'll take the read up on it in a bit. Does it just happen with age? Or just basically out of nowhere?

I agree, the last thing you would want is to be unaware of where you are mid spin that high in the air… could end up real bad.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 05:55 PM   #92
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Quote:
What happened?
I'm not sure but softball has not been a regular event at the Olympics. The last time they played was back in 2008 I believe and coincidentally the US women lost to Japan in the gold medal match back then too. So they were foaming at the mouth to get their so-called revenge (in a friendly manner of course) but had to wait a freakin' 13 years to do it. There were I believe 2 American players that were on that original team way back then so it was a blow to have waited all these years just to lose again. Not that Japan didn't deserve the win, they did.

The point is it makes no sense that the IOC doesn't have softball represented every 4 years. It certainly doesn't motivate young girls to strive for being an Olympic champion in that sport. Just strange.
That's odd. I mean I don't really watch softball but sucks for the athletes who compete for years to get a chance to compete in the Olympics.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 06:05 PM   #93
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
That's odd. I mean I don't really watch softball but sucks for the athletes who compete for years to get a chance to compete in the Olympics.
They tried to throw out softball, baseball, wrestling, and I think others to make room for the 'modern' sports like surfing, skateboards....
I think many, but not all catagories of the above three have been reinstated for 2021.
Appreciate 1
premier3is1627.00
      07-29-2021, 06:06 PM   #94
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Yep. I don't really watch a majority of these sports but when the Olympics come around, I find myself glued to my TV at times just because of the sort of novelty feel of it. Not sure if that makes any sense but I can't help but enjoy seeing the best compete against one another, regardless of the specific sport. Seeing the American flag go up and hearing the star spangled banner is awesome every time. Especially if the Americans beat their rivals like Russia or China.

That women's 4 x 200 swimming relay the other night was unbelievably exciting to witness. I mean how often do all 3 medalists break the world record in the same race?

Maybe even better was the surprise win by the 17 year old girl from Alaska Lydia Jacoby winning the gold in the 100m breastroke and the American Bobby Finke winning the first ever men's 800 meter freestyle event. He wasn't supposed to win and it didn't look like he would but came out like a bat out of hell in the final stretch to shock everyone. That is the exciting stuff.
Appreciate 2
premier3is1627.00
Littlebear3508.50
      07-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #95
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. I'll take the read up on it in a bit. Does it just happen with age? Or just basically out of nowhere?

I agree, the last thing you would want is to be unaware of where you are mid spin that high in the air… could end up real bad.
Read this.....
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=39
premier3is1627.00
      07-29-2021, 06:35 PM   #96
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

At the risk of going off topic a bit but damn. Talk about snowflakes and holding a grudge many decades later. Pathetic. Honestly my feeling is "don't come to the damn Olympics!"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/little...eud?ref=scroll
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 07:04 PM   #97
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Here's a good article on the "Twisties" of gymnastics--

Fairly terrifying.

(And by "fairly", I mean flat-out, soul-crushing terror.)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...explained.html
      07-30-2021, 07:17 AM   #98
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:

Its their version of the "yips" like in baseball. You literally just forget how to do your job. You line up, wind up and, despite doing everything you have done a thousand times before, your pitch ends up in the dirt. You think, "weird, ill try and aim a little higher to compensate." Next pitch, right back in the dirt.

Something just becomes mechanically off, you keep fucking up until you get pulled. Then you have to go to the pen and literally toss the ball until you can remember how your body works and regroup next week.

There have been multiple articles about it over the years, something million $ players deal with:
https://www.mlb.com/news/the-yips-di...ure/c-47124896

And that is my experience with something as benign as pitching. I don't want to be 15 feet in the air, upside down and spinning, and just forget how my body works. Could snap your neck.
Appreciate 3
Littlebear3508.50
TiMSport12786.50
sygazelle11103.00
      07-30-2021, 07:27 AM   #99
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
At the risk of going off topic a bit but damn. Talk about snowflakes and holding a grudge many decades later. Pathetic. Honestly my feeling is "don't come to the damn Olympics!"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/little...eud?ref=scroll
To be fair that is like an even bigger version of Kansas vs Missouri. Its not about the Olympics, its just a proxy war for, well, actual war.

The Chinese don't even low key despise the Japanese, white people only know about the atrocities carried out by the NAZIs but the shit the Japanese did to the Chinese people and those on the Korean Peninsula was horrific. Its NAZI level shit, like MILLIONS killed.

So they might have an excuse for holding a grudge.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3508.50
      07-30-2021, 07:34 AM   #100
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
this is really the only gripe i have about it. If MJ or Brady pulled out of a Finals Game 7 or SB because they were off, people would blast them and there would be a legitimate argument that they arent the GOAT because of it. Athletes, as well as everyone, get into their heads and perform poorly. Its how they overcome that that makes them the greatest of all time.

But its the times we are in where you cant criticize anyone for saying they struggled cause of "mental health". Look at all the shit some of the NBA analysts got for saying Simmons wasnt mentally tough in the playoffs this year.
So you are saying Micheal Jordan isnt the GOAT or deserves to be in the discussion as the GOAT? Because he bailed on an entire season because his dad died (or the gambling issue, whatever). His team could have run "on the trot" had he not done that. And he was 30 at the time.

What a fucking loser right?

She is called the GOAT because she literally is. This isnt for some fat balding trout shouldered loser to decide. She has literally been dominating the sport, getting medal after medal and doing things her competitors simply cannot.

This is the equivalent of "one bad game."
Appreciate 2
      07-30-2021, 07:35 AM   #101
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
To be fair.... white people only know about the atrocities carried out by the NAZIs but the shit the Japanese did to the Chinese people and those on the Korean Peninsula was horrific. Its NAZI level shit, like MILLIONS killed....
I be considered white, and I know about the WW2 & prior atrocities you refer to....
Just sayin'!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 08:43 AM   #102
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
I be considered white, and I know about the WW2 & prior atrocities you refer to....
Just sayin'!
Oh I look like a NAZI propaganda poster, but I know my people. And you know I'm not wrong.

Seriously though, the Chinese HATE the Japanese to a depth most Americans will never understand. Only the last surviving WW2 veterans might get it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 08:53 AM   #103
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
So you are saying Micheal Jordan isnt the GOAT or deserves to be in the discussion as the GOAT? Because he bailed on an entire season because his dad died (or the gambling issue, whatever). His team could have run "on the trot" had he not done that. And he was 30 at the time.

What a fucking loser right?

She is called the GOAT because she literally is. This isnt for some fat balding trout shouldered loser to decide. She has literally been dominating the sport, getting medal after medal and doing things her competitors simply cannot.

This is the equivalent of "one bad game."
Eh... Jordan had always wanted to play baseball and it was something he had talked about in the early 90s as wanting to do. He was coming off a 3 peat and had already established himself as one of the best basketball players in the world.

And retiring to go play baseball, after the championship, is not quite the same. If he had retired during Game 1 of the 94 finals to go play baseball, then youd have something.

Also, I dont believe MJ called himself the goat, especially prior to him retiring in 93.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 10:42 AM   #104
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

LOL, moving goalposts. He bailed on baseball and sucked at it, but his JOB was basketball and he had a team relying on him.

And like I said, she is called the GOAT because she just did her sports equivalence of a 3 peat. She has been dominating and winning every national and world medal for the past couple of years.

And she bailed for a dream too, his was to try baseball and hers was to not snap her fucking neck.

Bunch of doughy neckbeards trying to pretend they know anything about athletes. And that a 24 year old girl OWES them something.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 11:00 AM   #105
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
LOL, moving goalposts. He bailed on baseball and sucked at it, but his JOB was basketball and he had a team relying on him.

And like I said, she is called the GOAT because she just did her sports equivalence of a 3 peat. She has been dominating and winning every national and world medal for the past couple of years.

And she bailed for a dream too, his was to try baseball and hers was to not snap her fucking neck.

Bunch of doughy neckbeards trying to pretend they know anything about athletes. And that a 24 year old girl OWES them something.
Again, i have no issue with her bailing, especially since it could have been very dangerous with the yips she had.

I take issue with her self proclaiming herself the goat, trashing the sport and the rest of the competitors, hyping herself up then falling under the pressure she created, and everyone calling her a hero for it.

but carry on with your projecting. seems you may have some insecurities about your weight and beard.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 11:26 AM   #106
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
To be fair that is like an even bigger version of Kansas vs Missouri. Its not about the Olympics, its just a proxy war for, well, actual war.

The Chinese don't even low key despise the Japanese, white people only know about the atrocities carried out by the NAZIs but the shit the Japanese did to the Chinese people and those on the Korean Peninsula was horrific. Its NAZI level shit, like MILLIONS killed.

So they might have an excuse for holding a grudge.
Yeah I know all about that but I don't think they should be taking out their shit on young people that had absolutely nothing to do with what atrocities happened many decades ago. I don't recall athletes from countries (very long list) including Belgium, France, Italy, Poland and so on outwardly celebrating German athletes that lose a match (pick your sport) and calling them a bunch of bitches. Perhaps hanging signs from their balconies stirring up war time atrocities. THAT is not what the f'n Olympics are about. In fact, it's supposed to be the exact opposite.

I digress.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2021, 12:56 PM   #107
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Here's a good article on the "Twisties" of gymnastics--

Fairly terrifying.

(And by "fairly", I mean flat-out, soul-crushing terror.)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...explained.html
Read this article and more about the "twistys" as well.

She definitely made the right choice I'd say after learning more about it. No chance you should be playing through that because you can serious hurt yourself.

I hope she starts the retraining process soon, very unfortunate it happened during the Olympics since many wanted to watch her routines and to take home the Gold, as I'm sure she wanted to as well. But take care of yourself first and always.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 01:37 PM   #108
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh I look like a NAZI propaganda poster, but I know my people. And you know I'm not wrong.

Seriously though, the Chinese HATE the Japanese to a depth most Americans will never understand. Only the last surviving WW2 veterans might get it.
I know you are not wrong, too.
From the Rape of Nanking to the Comfort Women of Korea (not to mention the Bataan March), as bad as bad can be.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 02:53 PM   #109
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Again, i have no issue with her bailing, especially since it could have been very dangerous with the yips she had.

I take issue with her self proclaiming herself the goat, trashing the sport and the rest of the competitors, hyping herself up then falling under the pressure she created, and everyone calling her a hero for it.

but carry on with your projecting. seems you may have some insecurities about your weight and beard.
Agreed she can quit, it doesn't make her a hero or brave. Goats step up under pressure and overcome obstacles not fold.
Appreciate 4
ASAP10054.00
jmack548.50
      07-30-2021, 03:31 PM   #110
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Agreed she can quit, it doesn't make her a hero or brave. Goats step up under pressure and overcome obstacles not fold.
I could not disagree more.