BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-29-2023, 10:40 AM   #1
Randen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Considering using a i8 for HPDE

Hello,

I wonder has anyone tracked their i8 on here. I'm looking at a new HPDE ride and I do have a soft spot for the chassis on the i8. I recently have seen the epic work that EDO Popken has done with his i8 with upgraded turbos, M Brakes suspension and tires etc and it's just an amazing track car shockingly.

The Edo turbo is continental upgrade raises HP to about 460 +/- which is right where it needs to be and I think with some Cup 2s with larger rubber lighter wheels I really love the idea.

Some things to consider

Yes I know I can buy a used M car and have fun but this is really an experiment to have fun with something that I dont see much of with this car when I go to HPDE session in FL. I actually get tired of seeing i8s get a cheesy wraps added horrific lights and kinda Fast & Furious out taking a million images with the doors. Thats not really my goal here; I like the I8 the way it's represented in E racing or in this case how Edo handles his CSL i8 just a great setup. The chassis is simply amazing....yes the coolant system is really bonkers and always a concern but it's all about trying new things so this is a feeling into this idea im thinking of doing. It's the whole point of my Youtube channel and just something im heavily contemplating.

What interests me is that amazing lightweight tub and the idea that if done properly with the expectation on cost with things like

AC compressor issues and other common i8 issues Edo has shown this thing to be a track weapon.

My question is...anyone venture to HPDE their i8 into the beyond how did you fair?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 11:32 AM   #2
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

15k USD for 95HP

Personally, we have a track nearby in Ontario called calabogie which is apparently a spectacular race track but I haven't thought it worth signing up because I figure after a few laps the battery will be flat and I will be driving an oversized mini.

i8 is unfortunately not made for the track imo
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 08:51 PM   #3
Budget M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Cooling and battery range will always limit the i8 in true racetrack conditions, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done. I think the best approach would be to code the battery out of the equation altogether, making the car RWD-only, and build a motor that can produce at least 400hp (easier said than done).

I’ve driven an i8 (not mine) in autocross conditions and it was fantastic! The battery, however, was pretty much done after 4-5 laps of a 1-mile circuit.
'85 M635CSi Alpine w/buffalo; '03 M3 Conv, Imola
‘85 323i Baur; ‘02 X5 4.6is Estoril; ‘95 Racing Dynamics K30.4
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 04:13 PM   #4
Marc45
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

I took my ‘15 i8 to Roebling Road in Georgia.
It works just fine in stock condition. The battery depletes if you’re on it hard but there’s always a bit of e-boost available.
No cooling or brake issues with stock tires.
It’s a fun track car!
Appreciate 0