BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

06-27-2021, 02:17 PM   #1
colox5
colo45e
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e (2021)

Strategy guidance

My family and I currently have a 2021 X5 45e which we love. Towards the end of this year/early next year, we'll need a 2nd car. I'm pretty set on it being a full EV, since we already have the PHEV. I'm quite interested in the i4 but I'm not sure the timing will work.

So, I'm considering buying a pre-owned i3 given how good of a deal you can get on them with not too many miles. The intention would be to keep it for a year or so, and then upgrade to the i4 (or something else).

What do you think of this approach?

Do you think it's a fair bet that within 1-2 years, the i3 I'd buy wouldn't lose too much value? Or do you think with the increased # of EV options coming to the US, the value would decrease significantly in 1-2 years?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by colox5 View Post
My family and I currently have a 2021 X5 45e which we love. Towards the end of this year/early next year, we'll need a 2nd car. I'm pretty set on it being a full EV, since we already have the PHEV. I'm quite interested in the i4 but I'm not sure the timing will work.

So, I'm considering buying a pre-owned i3 given how good of a deal you can get on them with not too many miles. The intention would be to keep it for a year or so, and then upgrade to the i4 (or something else).

What do you think of this approach?

Do you think it's a fair bet that within 1-2 years, the i3 I'd buy wouldn't lose too much value? Or do you think with the increased # of EV options coming to the US, the value would decrease significantly in 1-2 years?
How big is your family? We have a x5 40e and an i3 and it works totally
Fine.

So
Fine in fact their is no plan for the iX.

Our i3 has over 83k miles and has never had an issue. So why sell as far as I'm concerned.

But that's just because the iX to me
Looks
Like a Toyota from the side.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 02:57 PM   #3
colox5
colo45e
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Fine.

So

Our i3 has over 83k miles and has never had an issue. So why sell as far as I'm concerned.

Looks
Currently it's my wife and I, our 16 month old and maybe another baby on the way soon. Have you put a car seat in the back with your family? I want to go sit in an i3 soon and bring our car seat. When we've rented cars over the past year with car seats, the passenger front seat really has had to be pushed forward quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Fine.

So

Looks
Currently it's my wife and I, our 16 month old and maybe another baby on the way soon. Have you put a car seat in the back with your family? I want to go sit in an i3 soon and bring our car seat. When we've rented cars over the past year with car seats, the passenger front seat really has had to be pushed forward quite a bit.
I had an orbit baby. And it worked wonderfully in the i3. The suicide doors actually help in getting the baby out in this situation.

The baby seat turned to be able to remove the baby out. It presented the child to you so you did not have to origami yourself and twist your back. Very innovative system to say the least.

Now I have a new front mounted baby seat and theirs still plenty of room. But she's 6 now.

But space was never a concern.

Here is a good write up

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/01/13/b...-and-stroller/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 04:03 PM   #5
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a car

+1 on rotating baby seat for i3, I use Cybex Sirona S which fits nicely in the rear bench.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
If you only need it for a year you might want to look into taking over a lease. The used car market is crazy right now.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 07:01 PM   #7
colox5
colo45e
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
If you only need it for a year you might want to look into taking over a lease. The used car market is crazy right now.
I've never explored this before. How does this work? Do most dealers have a list of existing customers they know are looking to transfer/give up their lease?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 07:06 PM   #8
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I've never explored this before. How does this work? Do most dealers have a list of existing customers they know are looking to transfer/give up their lease?
Not likely. You would usually go to a site like swapalease.com or brows the lease transfer subs of leasehackr.com. There are lease transfers in the member classifieds here on bimmerpost as well.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0