BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-15-2021, 06:36 AM   #3477
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
FYI, a few winters back my brother & brother in law both had strokes in the same week (strangely, my mom died the within 8 days). We pulled the plug on my bro after not too long, but my bro-in-law is still with us, a schizophrenic, wheelchair bound, paralyzed on one whole side. Even though he is a schizophrenic, he is very intelligent, and is always bucking for a better living situation. My wife & I are his primary care givers, and have explored these living options with him, with the care agencies, friends & acquaintances, & on the innernet.

Now pls return to your obligatory ignorant character slander of Littlebear....
You and your family suffered a terrible tragedy. You and your wife are doing a decent and noble thing and I am sure your brother in law is grateful for that.

That doesn't change the fact that you can be a bit of a dick to people on this forum. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2021, 06:46 AM   #3478
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
You and your family suffered a terrible tragedy. You and your wife are doing a decent and noble thing and I am sure your brother in law is grateful for that.

That doesn't change the fact that you can be a bit of a dick to people on this forum. The two are not mutually exclusive.
The confusing thing is that one would think that this much suffering would cause a person to be more compassionate, and not bitter. I get it, he doesn't like cops, but then you, Sedan, and the others here in that profession, certainly address the human side of being a cop. Undoubtedly there are bad cops, but then every profession has bad actors. The big question remains; why bring bitterness to a forum?
Appreciate 8
Lady Jane70848.00
Murf99314114.00
jmack548.50
Littlebear3509.50
Sedan_Clan25094.00
upstatedoc7559.50
Buug95917399.00
      06-15-2021, 06:51 AM   #3479
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
FYI, a few winters back my brother & brother in law both had strokes in the same week (strangely, my mom died the within 8 days). We pulled the plug on my bro after not too long, but my bro-in-law is still with us, a schizophrenic, wheelchair bound, paralyzed on one whole side. Even though he is a schizophrenic, he is very intelligent, and is always bucking for a better living situation. My wife & I are his primary care givers, and have explored these living options with him, with the care agencies, friends & acquaintances, & on the innernet.

That's pretty fucked up. Sorry. I can't imagine what a difficult time that must have been for you.
Littlebear3509.50
      06-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #3480
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
The confusing thing is that one would think that this much suffering would cause a person to be more compassionate, and not bitter. I get it, he doesn't like cops, but then you, Sedan, and the others here in that profession, certainly address the human side of being a cop. Undoubtedly there are bad cops, but then every profession has bad actors. The big question remains; why bring bitterness to a forum?
Let's go back to the beginning of this present disagreement.
Clan made some very questionable assertions about minorities wanting to live in ghettos. He generalized that to homeless people.
I put out counter assertions that were way less questionable than those Clan put out, with backup.
As usual, Clan went into character assassination mode, with really sad supporting arguments.
I counter with learned opinion & facts. Not bitterness, but the truth.

Have a good day!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 09:08 AM   #3481
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
.... That doesn't change the fact that you can be a bit of a dick to people on this forum. The two are not mutually exclusive.
And I don't apologize for it!
We have been through this before: Don't poke the Littlebear, or I will bury your lacking arguments, & then maybe you too.

On a side note: You all act as if I'm unfairly assaulting you. Maybe some used a different name, but I recognize nobody here who was on the late, famous, 'Outside Asylum' forum, where we had actual Russians debating!

PS: Peace be with you all. Life is too short.

Last edited by Littlebear; 06-15-2021 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 09:56 AM   #3482
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The State guys will be all over that jammer. Lol!
How bout radar detectors? Do you mind if someone has one? Does the law?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25094.00
      06-15-2021, 10:04 AM   #3483
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Quote:
The State guys will be all over that jammer. Lol!
How bout radar detectors? Do you mind if someone has one? Does the law?
Detectors are legal here, but it won't help much. I personally don't care one way or the other because my visual estimation is enough. Jam away!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 10:07 AM   #3484
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Quote:

Now pls return to your obligatory ignorant character slander of Littlebear....
I did the same thing. I suppose it was a proposition issued as an attempt to garner empathy. Sad as it is/was, it has/had nothing to do with anything being discussed and was completely tangential. I elided right over it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 10:14 AM   #3485
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did the same thing. I suppose it was a proposition issued as an attempt to garner empathy. Sad as it is/was, it has/had nothing to do with anything being discussed and was completely tangential. I elided right over it.
Empathy I got (thank you, folks).

"...we are his primary care givers, and have explored these living options with him, with the care agencies, friends & acquaintances, & on the innernet."

While we aren't experts, this should be enough to indicate that we have way more exposure to the problem, & solution, than the average bear does.
Do you see the tangent now?

I love it when you say, "elide"!

Last edited by Littlebear; 06-15-2021 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 10:30 AM   #3486
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Detectors are legal here, but it won't help much. I personally don't care one way or the other because my visual estimation is enough. Jam away!
If you are running LIDAR and you see a car that is speeding, but the LIDAR says the car is not speeding, can you use your estimation in place of the "official" LIDAR reading?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 10:30 AM   #3487
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Empathy I got, but sympathy from this group? That's funny....

"...we are his primary care givers, and have explored these living options with him, with the care agencies, friends & acquaintances, & on the innernet."

While we aren't experts, this should be enough to indicate that we have way more exposure to the problem, & solution, than the average bear does.
Do you see the tangent now?

I love it when you say, "elide"!
With all due respect (…and I mean that sincerely because I think you're doing a noble thing), the situation you and your family are dealing with and the more pervasive situation because discussed have no relation. Yes, I generalize a lot, but we are all grown men and women who understand that as we discuss a myriad of topics.

When I say homeless like being homeless (…or that black communities like living in crime), I realize that it's a generalization and not every person fits that mold; there are outliers and percentages that don't enjoy those conditions. That said, there are large percentages that do, and that is why the situations are so pervasive. With regards to my statement about black communities, if they truly cared, the people in those communities could fix the issues……..but they don't. There's a reason those of us who are African American and who make good money move to white communities (…again, a generalization, but accurate). Feel however you want about that statement. Disagree, agree…..I don't care. The unwillingness to have a genuine conversation about the plight of black communities and the stubborn resistance to holding the people in those communities accountable (…all while blaming [systemic] racism, the "white man", no access to [insert some fabled mystery community fix here], etc.) makes your whole presence here disingenuous.
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50
      06-15-2021, 10:32 AM   #3488
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Quote:
If you are running LIDAR and you see a car that is speeding, but the LIDAR says the car is not speeding, can you use your estimation in place of the "official" LIDAR reading?
Yes. We visually estimate first and the LIDAR is a confirmation tool. It doesn't have to match. We are certified through the state as being trained to visually estimate and we were tested prior to certification. I'll bring my LIDAR with me if I roll out to hang with you in July. Watch how people slow down when they see the gun. Lol! I'll let you visually estimate first and then shoot to see how close you are. It's not difficult honestly. We do it in our natural environments every day (…changing lanes, crossing streets, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 10:34 AM   #3489
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With all due respect (…and I mean that sincerely because I think you're doing a noble thing), the situation you and your family are dealing with and the more pervasive situation because discussed have no relation. Yes, I generalize a lot, but we are all grown men and woman who understand that as we discuss a myriad of topics.

When I say homeless like being homeless (…or that black communities like living in crime), I realize that it's a generalization and not every person fits that mold; there are outliers and percentages that don't enjoy those conditions. That said, there are large percentages that do, and that is why the situations are so pervasive. With regards to my statement about black communities, if they truly cared, the people in those communities could fix the issues……..but they don't. There's a reason those of us who are African American and who make good money move to white communities (…again, a generalization, but accurate). Feel however you want about that statement. Disagree, agree…..I don't care. The unwillingness to have a genuine conversation about the plight of black communities and the stubborn resistance to holding the people in those communities accountable (…all while blaming [systemic] racism, the "white man", no access to [insert some fabled mystery community fix here], etc.) makes your whole presence here disingenuous.
I'll let you slide with that elide.
Good day, Captain!

"makes your whole presence here disingenuous."
I remember being one of the very first to condemn violence at BLM marches. I live in Brkln. I probably speak with more minority folks than white folks daily...

Last edited by Littlebear; 06-15-2021 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #3490
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Yes. We visually estimate first and the LIDAR is a confirmation tool.
One of my Mountie friend says exactly the same thing when doing radar. In trouble areas, they even know, because they are always called to those spots, the distance between two posts and can calculate in their minds the time it takes to travel those two points. Pretty accurate and the radar confirms it. They also use that same technique for aerial surveillance using those large yellow markers on the pavement. Not sure how that works in a horse pursuit...

Attachment 2627950

Last edited by Lady Jane; 01-06-2022 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25094.00
vreihen1615263.50
      06-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #3491
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Quote:
Yes. We visually estimate first and the LIDAR is a confirmation tool.
One of my Mountie friend says exactly the same thing when doing radar. In trouble areas, they even know, because they are always call to those spots, the distance between two posts and can calculate in their minds the time it takes to travel those two points. Pretty accurate and the radar confirms it. They also use that same technique for aerial surveillance using those large yellow markers on the pavement. Not sure how that works in a horse pursuit...

Attachment 2627950
Definitely. It's easy when you have reference points like light posts, other cars, etc.
Appreciate 1
Lady Jane70848.00
      06-15-2021, 01:49 PM   #3492
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Yes. We visually estimate first and the LIDAR is a confirmation tool. It doesn't have to match. We are certified through the state as being trained to visually estimate and we were tested prior to certification. I'll bring my LIDAR with me if I roll out to hang with you in July. Watch how people slow down when they see the gun. Lol! I'll let you visually estimate first and then shoot to see how close you are. It's not difficult honestly. We do it in our natural environments every day (…changing lanes, crossing streets, etc.).
A coworker of a friend of mine was ticketed for speeding and decided to challenge it in court. He worked at a company that designed and built radar systems for American tanks. He spent nearly an hour in court describing all the flaws of and different ways police radar could give a false reading. After he was done the judge asked him what made him such an expert on radar. He told the judge that he was in fact an expert on radar systems and that he designs them for foreign military use. The judge responded with something along the lines of, Ok, I see. He then asked the LEO if he thought the defendant was speeding. The LEO said yes and the judge said "Guilty. Pay the fine on your way out."
      06-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #3493
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
Quote:
A coworker of a friend of mine was ticketed for speeding and decided to challenge it in court. He worked at a company that designed and built radar systems for American tanks. He spent nearly an hour in court describing all the flaws of and different ways police radar could give a false reading. After he was done the judge asked him what made him such an expert on radar. He told the judge that he was in fact an expert on radar systems and that he designs them for foreign military use. The judge responded with something along the lines of, Ok, I see. He then asked the LEO if he thought the defendant was speeding. The LEO said yes and the judge said "Guilty. Pay the fine on your way out."
There's plenty of case law supporting the efficacy of radar/lidar. That's why the judge ruled in favor of the officer as well. The errors that do exist in radar benefit the motorist (….cosine effect).
Appreciate 2
Buug95917399.00
upstatedoc7559.50
      06-15-2021, 02:03 PM   #3494
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
One of my Mountie friend says exactly the same thing when doing radar. In trouble areas, they even know, because they are always called to those spots, the distance between two posts and can calculate in their minds the time it takes to travel those two points. Pretty accurate and the radar confirms it. They also use that same technique for aerial surveillance using those large yellow markers on the pavement. Not sure how that works in a horse pursuit...

Attachment 2627950
You'd never get a conviction in Ontario with this technique (the airplanes maybe, but its rarely used by the OPP), I've estimated speeds in Criminal Court with pursuits and dangerous driving types of charges but for a speeding ticket they wouldn't except an officers opinion on speed. That might go to margin or error, speeding fines in Ontario are incremental so if I estimated the speed was say 30KMH over the limit, the difference in fines between 20KMH and 25KMH over the limit is substantial.
Appreciate 3
Buug95917399.00
Littlebear3509.50
      06-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #3495
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
There's plenty of case law supporting the efficacy of radar/lidar.
I'm going to confess here with a personal story because it's my BDay and the Girls have been pouring the wine. Attachment 2628060

I was travelling at a high rate of speed on a long stretch of highway in my County when I encountered a Mountie in an unmarked car in the opposite direction. As soon as he went by me, I noticed that he had made a u-turn with his lights on. So I pulled over to the shoulder and waited for him to catch-up.

" Hi Jane. Do you know how fast you were going?"Attachment 2628059
" Hi [ Insert name] About 230Kph...?"
" That's right. My radar is properly calibrated. Thanks."

I like to do my part for the Community....Attachment 2628058

Last edited by Lady Jane; 01-06-2022 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25094.00
cmyx6go15759.50
paquet629.50
      06-15-2021, 02:27 PM   #3496
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm going to confess here with a personal story because it's my BDay and the Girls have been pouring the wine. Attachment 2628060

I was travelling at a high rate of speed on a long stretch of highway in my County when I encountered a Mountie in an unmarked car in the opposite direction. As soon as he went by me, I noticed that he had made a u-turn with his lights on. So I pulled over to the shoulder and waited for him to catch-up.

Mountie: "That's right. My radar is properly calibrated. Thanks."

Lady Jane: "I bet it's…..calibrated….really, really well, Sir!"

Mountie: "If you have some free time I can show you how well…it….works. It shoots a mighty fine beam if the spread is wide enough."

<mic drop>
Appreciate 6
TiMSport12798.00
cmyx6go15759.50
Lady Jane70848.00
Buug95917399.00
paquet629.50
      06-15-2021, 02:29 PM   #3497
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:

Mountie: "If you have some free time I can show you how well…it….works. It shoots a mighty fine beam if the spread is wide enough."

<mic drop>
Wow, it's as though you had this prepared in advance.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25094.00
      06-15-2021, 02:30 PM   #3498
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Quote:

<mic drop>
Wow, it's as though you had this prepared in advance.
She's fun to toss flirty comments and innuendo at. Lol!
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15759.50
Lady Jane70848.00