BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

07-13-2021, 12:58 AM   #23
Mirrari
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3 rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys3 View Post
I don't want to hijack your post, but am another guy looking really strongly at an i3, preowned for first one, and would like to know if there is a way to tell what state the battery pack is in. Don't really want to buy one that is getting ready for a replacement. TIA
Yeah , you can check the battery capacity and compare with what it’s supposed to be. YouTube i3 battery capacity. Here’s a vid of a guy explaining how to check it:

Basically look up what is the max usable capacity for your model year and compare with what the car says. As far as I know that’s how you can gauge the state of degradation.
Appreciate 2
TimeFor179.50
soheil64.50
      07-13-2021, 05:34 PM   #24
garys3
Rep
Drives: Ford/Chevrolet

I watched the video, thanks. To figure percentage do I use total buffered capacity (22kwh)or usable which I think is max around 19Kwh? Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 08:05 PM   #25
Mirrari
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3 rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys3 View Post
I watched the video, thanks. To figure percentage do I use total buffered capacity (22kwh)or usable which I think is max around 19Kwh? Thanks again.
Take the number you get from your car and divide by the usable capacity for that model year (that’s not the total capacity, just the usable one). Then multiply that decimal by 100. The result is what percentage of “good” battery you have left.
Appreciate 0