Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing

02-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Space Grey 335i

Question Gaming Notebook Help! Quick!

I wanted to buy this today so quick help would be nice haha.

-Budget is around $1500, I can go up another $100 if its worth it
-Purpose is gaming and everyday use. I have a desktop that runs everything so it doesn't have to be top top of the line.
-Has to be from newegg.com
-Needs to have a 17 inch screen

What do you guys think of this one? Cant find anything better then this for the time being
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=afc-Skimlinks

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Seems to be a good deal, havent compared other prices to that NB. Have you considered Alienware from Dell? Not the cheapest one, but unbeatable for gaming.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #3
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Seems to be a good deal, havent compared other prices to that NB. Have you considered Alienware from Dell? Not the cheapest one, but unbeatable for gaming.
I wouldnt but newegg didnt really have one that interested me too much

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
digital_frankenstein
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

I bought one of these beginning of last year and it's a dream!
Although that is in comparison to the 6 year old laptop I was using before it that didn't use SSDs.

I have Project Cars and Call of Duty: AW (briefly had Black Ops 3 as a trial) and they all play like a dream.

I mostly use the laptop for design and development use and it also powers through anything the Adobe suite can chuck at it.

My girlfriend and I use it heavily for work and play and it's never let me down and made me question my decision. Eventually I'll sell this and upgrade to the latest model.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 02:46 PM   #5
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_frankenstein View Post
I bought one of these beginning of last year and it's a dream!
Although that is in comparison to the 6 year old laptop I was using before it that didn't use SSDs.

I have Project Cars and Call of Duty: AW (briefly had Black Ops 3 as a trial) and they all play like a dream.

I mostly use the laptop for design and development use and it also powers through anything the Adobe suite can chuck at it.

My girlfriend and I use it heavily for work and play and it's never let me down and made me question my decision. Eventually I'll sell this and upgrade to the latest model.
Good to know, thanks!

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #6
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

You can get a MSI for that kind of money
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #7
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz_diesel View Post
You can get a MSI for that kind of money
Why do you think MSI is better?

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #8
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

We would need to know a little more about what games you plan on playing but that is a good PC. I have tested the last 3-4 years worth of ASUS ROG laptops and they are all still running strong.

They are bulky though so the 17" are a bit heavy to carry around everyday and the battery life is going to be horrible on any 17" gaming laptop.
      02-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
We would need to know a little more about what games you plan on playing but that is a good PC. I have tested the last 3-4 years worth of ASUS ROG laptops and they are all still running strong.

They are bulky though so the 17" are a bit heavy to carry around everyday and the battery life is going to be horrible on any 17" gaming laptop.
Diablo 3, Witcher, Dying Light, and others. Im 6" 290lbs I dont mind a bigger laptop lol

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 07:08 PM   #10
digital_frankenstein
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by My335iTT View Post
Diablo 3, Witcher, Dying Light, and others. Im 6" 290lbs I dont mind a bigger laptop lol
I'm 5" and some inches and I used to walk to work with it in a backpack. Good back and leg workout.
Battery life is average but the nature of my work requires wifi a lot of the time and power outlets are never that far away.
You can fiddle with the battery and screen settings anyway when you are working on battery, you'll be fine.

No doubt with your gaming you'll be inside around outlets so this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The size isn't an issue for me, I love the look of ROG laptops and I purposely worked my ass off to be able to afford one. So the trade-off of good looks and power for more weight isn't an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #11
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

I have a Razer blade and I love it. I wouldn't recommend buying Alienware because those look really thick and dumb, plus they are quite heavy and loud as a laptop LOL

Brand wise, Asus is a decent brand for gaming laptops.
      02-12-2016, 06:56 AM   #12
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by My335iTT View Post
Why do you think MSI is better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Kidding View Post
I have a Razer blade and I love it. I wouldn't recommend buying Alienware because those look really thick and dumb, plus they are quite heavy and loud as a laptop LOL

Brand wise, Asus is a decent brand for gaming laptops.
I like the MSI design and feel vs. alienware which feels kind of cheap considering how much you are paying for it. However I would def. consider asus before alienware.

BUT I am really jealous that ///M Kidding has the Razer Blade...

Lenovo just recently announced a gaming laptop that got really high reviews too but I believe it will be 2k
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 09:42 AM   #13
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Asus is a great brand for monitors and Laptops.
MSI is a great brand for motherboards but I have not tested their laptops.
Razer is a great company for peripherals but I consider their laptops to be a little pricey for the hardware they provide.
Lenovo has some seriously great gaming laptops out recently but they may be a little above your price range and the ones I am familiar with are usually 15".

To be perfectly honest you are going to be most interested in the Processor/Video Card and the screen no matter what brand you choose, just make sure you get some form of extended warranty from Newegg. I promise it is worth it.

If you are not doing high level video editing you can choose to go with an I5 processor instead of an I7 as most games have not taken advantage of the multi threading of the I7 processors. As far as graphics card I believe the 980M that comes in the Asus is what you need for the games you are playing. Anything more powerful from Nvidia is just going to cost you more and really wont make too much of a difference in the games you are playing. (in my opinion)

I highly recommend walking into a Frys Electronics if you have one nearby and checking out the models they have just to get a feel before you buy on newegg. They even price match if you decide that model is the one you want, although I prefer newegg.
      02-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #14
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Aside of my suggest with an Alienware NB, I use an Asus for myself, but its not a special gaming laptop, its an alrounder and fits for my best. As long as its running BF3, BF4, D3, Fallout4 and Farcry3, I feel not to forced to buy a faster one. I got also a workstation for playing and thats my favorite thing, laptop more for working on tour and gaming to relax into the hotels

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #15
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
I got my BASE new Alienware 18 (4700MQ, 2x GTX 765M in SLi, 8GB ram @ 1600mhz, 18 inch display, DVD RW, and 1TB HDD + 64GB SSD) for just above 1600 USD in Spring/Summer of 2014. It's been playing everything I've been playing like a champ (assuming the game I was running took advantage of SLi) otherwise, I may need to reduce the settings from max. You should really consider the 18. Check out their site, negotiate, or even look at what Amazon offers to get a decent deal.

The laptop is built like a tank, manages heat relatively well, and is upgradeable (sort of). On the downside, it is pretty darn massive and heavy. The screen is glossy too (but I use mine mostly in low light situations). At max fan speeds, it is loud but it is quiet (fan wise) otherwise.

If you don't like AW, go for MSI, Clevo/Sager, or Asus. Lenovo used to have this cheap and thin dual GPU (750M's) when I was cross-shopping laptops. They may have a current version of said laptop. If you just want the best bang for your buck, get the best processor and GPU (desktop 980 but for notebooks or 980M) you can get.

Last edited by PopsnBurbles; 02-16-2016 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #16
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
I got my BASE new Alienware 18 (4700MQ, 2x GTX 765M in SLi, 8GB ram @ 1600mhz, 18 inch display, DVD RW, and 1TB HDD + 64GB SSD) for just above 1600 USD in Spring/Summer of 2014. It's been playing everything I've been playing like a champ (assuming the game I was running took advantage of SLi) otherwise, I may need to reduce the settings from max. You should really consider the 18. Check out their site, negotiate, or even look at what Amazon offers to get a decent deal.

The laptop is built like a tank, manages heat relatively well, and is upgradeable (sort of). On the downside, it is pretty darn massive and heavy. The screen is glossy too (but I use mine mostly in low light situations). At max fan speeds, it is loud but it is quiet (fan wise) otherwise.

If you don't like AW, go for MSI, Clevo/Sager, or Asus. Lenovo used to have this cheap and thin dual GPU (750M's) when I was cross-shopping laptops. They may have a current version of said laptop. If you just want the best bang for your buck, get the best processor and GPU (desktop 980 but for notebooks or 980M) you can get.
I'm surprised that a $1600 AW didn't come with 16GB of RAM. Anyway, I always wanted one when I was a kid
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 05:58 PM   #17
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post
I'm surprised that a $1600 AW didn't come with 16GB of RAM. Anyway, I always wanted one when I was a kid
I was a bit shocked too but it's cool because it's not like I do professional grade video/photo stuff where I'll need the RAM. Not to mention, the RAM the thing came in with are pretty crappy IMO so it's an extra cost evaded. You don't need to be a kid to have fun with an AW ...I suppose it's more adult to build a properly nice desktop? (I will one day when I find the space for it.)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #18
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
I was a bit shocked too but it's cool because it's not like I do professional grade video/photo stuff where I'll need the RAM. Not to mention, the RAM the thing came in with are pretty crappy IMO so it's an extra cost evaded. You don't need to be a kid to have fun with an AW ...I suppose it's more adult to build a properly nice desktop? (I will one day when I find the space for it.)
Oh no - in no way was I suggesting that AW are for children. I would still love to have one. Desktops are bomb though - another thing I would love to have. For now, stuck with an X1 Carbon for school (mostly Excel stuff) and a 27" iMac for...well, I never use the iMac.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #19
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post
Oh no - in no way was I suggesting that AW are for children. I would still love to have one. Desktops are bomb though - another thing I would love to have. For now, stuck with an X1 Carbon for school (mostly Excel stuff) and a 27" iMac for...well, I never use the iMac.
Trust me, it's not an issue for me at all. I'm the biggest kid I know. I try to have fun with every second I have to spare. I'm probably one of the older people at my local hobby shop when I go out there to play.

I can't wait to build my desktop. It'll be liquid cooled for sure simply because the coolant are colored.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 02:06 AM   #20
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

My desktop is already a high-end machine and used 95% for gaming. My laptop was bought only 3 years ago because I had to travel few months to my new work place before moving total to it.
I'd considered an AW and was willing to take a 12" but v/s the purpose just to stay into contact to my family and gaming was only the small cherry topping, it wasnt worth the price. But the dream is alive, maybe anytime when the deal is unbeatable

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 05:39 PM   #21
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

I have an alienware M17x and MSI
Alienware is older hence the change to MSI, love it works fast, games fast, etc.
MSI to me is a great gaming laptop
Appreciate 0