BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

06-18-2022, 05:30 PM   #23
SSM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Thanks for the perspective and review. I've got an X7 M50i and thinking about what to do next. I'm intrigued by the iX but have been concerned that the fit and finish will not be on par with the X7. Love to see an iX7
I recently did a 24 hr test drive in a Loaded IX 50. These are nothing like an X7. I felt like a was driving a "People Mover". Very basic and boring, quick yes, but that is it. Nothing special here. I much prefer driving the Audi E Tron my friend has. It feels like BMW tried to make these so much different they took out too much. Doors are light, and the push button door opener from inside is just odd. Seats are good. New I Drive 8 is nice. Bowers & Wilkins sounds good. I didn't like any of the wheel choices, they all seem a bad fit for this car. If gas prices fall again they will be discounting these big next year, it's way overpriced. We need 3 rows and are about to order a 2023 X7 40i with IDrive 8. The size of the IX feels like a low slung X5.

2023 M5 Comp Skyscraper Grey,Executive Pack, Drivers Assistance, B&W, 789's.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2022, 05:34 PM   #24
itWorks
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Meh

Hidious-looking kidney grill. Looks like an appliance. A BMW Refrigerator.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2022, 05:35 PM   #25
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refujeet View Post
BMW Laserlight Headlights (this was probably a waste...I can't tell the difference. Anyone else?)
Your iX does have all the bells and whistles, indeed. Could you go more into detail why you think the interior is cheaper than the X7? Anything that stands out in particular? The iX is in the shortlist to replace my daily, but it would be a shame if it meant downgrading compared to the G05 with full Merino (well I would be ok if it matches the extended Merino).

The laserlights don't seem to be any brighter than the LEDs (at least in the G11/G05), but they do add quite a bit of functionality. Without them you lose dazzle-free matrix high beam, adaptive lights (swiveling when turning) as well as cornering light. Additionally in the iX the laser is also used for low beam as well. I always found the LEDs to produce a very inhomogeneous light, especially noticeable on low beams. Apparently that's solved with the lasers as well. I wonder why they ditched the lasers going forward from now...
I had a G05 X5 with Merino before the X7, so I can give some feedback on that too.

The leather in the iX looks great in photos and real life (smooth), but it honestly doesn't "feel" like Merino. It's hard to describe, but it feels slightly rougher…or has more friction. In terms of softness, the leather is fine and the seats are nice. I would prefer the comfort seats which offer more settings, and hug you more…but I think BMW wants to take the iX in a different direction.

In terms of things that feel cheaper than the X7, It's the small stuff…the doors feel light, and the turn indicator feels cheaper and lighter. I think these are all weight savings initiatives…so I guess you have to balance what BMW is trying to do with range. I just think it's worth pointing out.

Honestly, the fit and finish for the iX is typical BMW. Panel gaps, and material selection are well thought out. And you see details everywhere, which show BMW spent time sweating the details. I'll put a picture below which shows a small indent for the weather stripping in the trunk, to manage water flows from the side of the car. This part is completely hidden, but someone thought about this…and it made it to production. I like that…and they've done this type of stuff everywhere.

So yeah, this is not an X5/X7… but I think the sacrifices are there for a reason. I don't think they are oversights.

FWIW, we still have an order for the X7 M60i…which will be great (my wife is completely indifferent on cars, and even she "loves the X7"). But I suspect we'll drive the iX more. For context, we drive ~40,000 km/year on our cars, and we live in the city!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Flamingi529.50
Paladin15457.50
mcl117.00
      06-18-2022, 05:57 PM   #26
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Appreciate the review. It seems like BMW isn't ready to produce EVs in high volumes while eating away at X5/X7 sales based on the price and comparable quality positioning. What did yours cost, about 100k CAD$?

The X5/X7 especially when the options are checked are so luxurious and spacious. For our family of 5, there's no way an iX would work. But if we had to, I'd rather have the PHEV X5 than this.

I've had every generation of X5, and our 3 row X5 with merino and glass controls and all the driving tech is next level. Love it.

However if you must have an EV, cross shopping this with a Y is a no brainer. The Y ride quality is awful, and the thing is so boring. But for the price I suppose a model X is worth getting instead, at least in the US.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 11:15 PM   #27
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Finally got my car, a Sapphire Black iX50!

Took delivery on Wednesday, and then sent over to my detail guy to clean up, and get coated with cquartz.

I've driven in ~150km already, and some quick takeaways below. I'm coming form an X7 M50i with DHP, so adjust comments accordingly:

PROS:
  • Acceleration is rapid like every electric car...but BMW has done a good job with the tuning to make you feel in control.
  • Looks different (and I like it). I actually like the fact that it doesn't look like anything else...I've gotten more compliments on this car over the last two days than anything else I've owned in the last five year.
  • Ride/handling is well sorted out. I feel like all electric cars accelerate the same, but BMW has done a great job sweating the small stuff. Our model y really beats me up on city roads in Toronto, and I already feel a big difference in the iX. It's a relaxing drive.
  • Interior is clean and elegant...Although I miss some buttons, I'm glad they didn't go "full Tesla" with the interior.
  • HUD is massive and shows a lot of information...maybe even too big!
  • New wide bang integration with iPhone is great...just like Tesla.
  • Sunroof is nice...and the glazing does a good job of not letting the sun bother you.
  • I'm glad child locks for the rear doors are now a button next to the driver...you can switch it on/off if there are adults in the back.
  • It's electric...so, the car is costing me almost the same amount per month as my gas bill for the last month!
  • Range looks to be better than expected. Based on my current mix of highway/city driving, it's estimating a range of 570km on a full charge

CONS (mostly applies to me only):
  • Interior does feel cheaper than my X7 in comparison...I'm thinking weight savings impacted some decisions here.
  • I miss the comfort seats with seat depth adjustment (I have long legs, so that was a good resting spot)...in general, there are a lot of premium features missing compared to the X5/X7.
  • Driver's side visibility when changing lanes is worse (thicker B pillar?), but this might be because the X7 has HUGE windows.
  • The new iDrive will need some getting used to...a lot of the features are hidden in there.
  • Harmon Kardon sound system is fine. I'm not an audiophile, and I don't think this is good. I should have upgraded...so if you are on the fence, just do it. I've never updgraded to the highest sound system on any of our cars, but I would do that if I had the chance again.
  • Cruise control distance adjustment is not a button on steering anymore...they could have just used the same rocker/swivel switch as the volume/track button on the right side of the wheel. I have different distance settings for traffic, versus driving full speed on a highway, so this might get annoying.
  • Speed limit doesn't show up in the dash now...I might not have activated the right setting. It used to work on the X7.
  • Door mechanism is weird. When you open it, the door just "pops" open, rather than the smooth motion in other BMWs. And the door definitely feels cheaper than other X models from the outside (I have soft close).
  • I do miss the V8 in the X7, and even the handling with DHP. I actually miss the sound, and I don't feel like I own the road quite as much...and this doesn't feel quite "vault-like".

Hopefully, the above isn't too negative. I'm actually very excited; and looking forward to learning more about the car. It will be interesting to watch where BMW takes this platform!
What interior seating material do you have that makes it feel cheaper than the x7? I have the chestnut leather, and it feels insanely premium compared to other recent cars I've owned in the same price point. It blows the merino leather away from my recent M cars.

Also the car feels faster in regular driving than my X4MC, so I'm surprised to hear you say it feels underpowered compared to the X7. Also handles better as a daily then the X4MC did, surprisingly.

Honestly the fit and finish of this car is superior to my recent Porsche. Somewhat surprised by the opinions here. It's my favorite car currently. I actually found myself reaching for the keys to it over my Boxster GTS 4.0 on a sunny day as it's a better overall drive.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15457.50
      06-19-2022, 12:08 AM   #28
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
What interior seating material do you have that makes it feel cheaper than the x7? I have the chestnut leather, and it feels insanely premium compared to other recent cars I've owned in the same price point. It blows the merino leather away from my recent M cars.

Also the car feels faster in regular driving than my X4MC, so I'm surprised to hear you say it feels underpowered compared to the X7. Also handles better as a daily then the X4MC did, surprisingly.

Honestly the fit and finish of this car is superior to my recent Porsche. Somewhat surprised by the opinions here. It's my favorite car currently. I actually found myself reaching for the keys to it over my Boxster GTS 4.0 on a sunny day as it's a better overall drive.
I have the leather interior, but I don't think that necessarily makes it cheaper. You might have missed my other comments. I think some aspects of the car are cheaper…like the weight/sound of the doors opening/closing, or heft of the turning indicator stalk…or the lack of features like rear sunshades.

Acceleration was a pro for me. I don't think it's underpowered.

I agree, fit and finish is great…once again, I had that as an advantage of buying an EV from BMW (maybe later in my comments).
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2022, 07:03 AM   #29
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Is it normal for dealerships to offer a 24 hour test drive? For some reason, I feel weird asking but I guess I shouldn't considering the cost of the car.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2022, 08:40 AM   #30
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Really good comments in this thread! Thanks for sharing from this perspective.
Appreciate 3
Refujeet262.50
Paladin15457.50
      06-19-2022, 06:19 PM   #31
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor488 View Post
Is it normal for dealerships to offer a 24 hour test drive? For some reason, I feel weird asking but I guess I shouldn't considering the cost of the car.
It would be good if they did, but what do you think you need 24 hours to figure out?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 06:47 PM   #32
gotzillar
Private
Rep
Drives: 992S,X7M50i,EV6,TaycanGTS ST

Quote:
It would be good if they did, but what do you think you need 24 hours to figure out?

Why not? 2 obvious reasons, not everyone has had an EV before and iDrive8 is not a good design so people need more time to play with it, IMO.

Before I bought my Tesla Model X 6 yrs ago, I had an overnight test drive. A few months back I also asked for an overnight test drive on iX and sure enough I didn't get it. Belive or not, before I bought my Kia EV6, I also got an overnight test drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 06:52 PM   #33
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzillar View Post
Quote:

Why not? 2 obvious reasons, not everyone has had an EV before and iDrive8 is not a good design so people need more time to play with it, IMO.

Before I bought my Tesla Model X 6 yrs ago, I had an overnight test drive. A few months back I also asked for an overnight test drive on iX and sure enough I didn't get it. Belive or not, before I bought my Kia EV6, I also got an overnight test drive.
Yeah it would be great, but I asked for overnight test on a Model Y a month ago and was told no. There is a big waiting list for any EV, so I think it's more a problem with the current car market.

As for the iX itself, I needed about 300 ft in the car before I knew I was trading in my X4M Comp for one.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15457.50
Refujeet262.50
      06-19-2022, 06:58 PM   #34
slampert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzillar View Post
iDrive8 is not a good design
Just wondering how you've come to this conclusion without having taken delivery of the iX ?? What about iDrive 8 strikes you as not a good design ??
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 07:16 PM   #35
gotzillar
Private
Rep
Drives: 992S,X7M50i,EV6,TaycanGTS ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by slampert View Post
Just wondering how you've come to this conclusion without having taken delivery of the iX ?? What about iDrive 8 strikes you as not a good design ??
From a normal test drive on cars when overnight is not offered.

We had a 30mins test drive and 10mins in the parking lot trying to get things (AC, efficiency, seat adjustments, audio, and other various settings) that I usually get. I'm comparing the minimalist iX interior design to our X7 M50i and then how easy to get the settings that I normally change in our recent cars (992, Tesla Model X, EV6).

An overnight test drive might change my opinion though.
Appreciate 1
slampert159.00
      06-19-2022, 07:23 PM   #36
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Overnight test drives are pretty common here in NZ, I've done it with all recent cars I've test driven, including the iX.

Overnight allowed me to get to know the car during the day, at night, test its turning circle in our tight driveway and garage. Definitely an advantage if you can organise it.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 07:48 PM   #37
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep

I'd take an overnight drive if they offered it. Too bad they don't need to provide good customer service to sell cars anymore.

People buy houses after spending 5 minutes inside it…so I guess buying a car after a 15 minute test drive is being reasonable!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 11:19 PM   #38
mcl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3, 2022 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ View Post
Overnight test drives are pretty common here in NZ, I've done it with all recent cars I've test driven, including the iX.

Overnight allowed me to get to know the car during the day, at night, test its turning circle in our tight driveway and garage. Definitely an advantage if you can organise it.
The part around trying to maneuver the car around a driveway and garage is a big part of why I think longer/overnight test drives are a great idea. Years ago we were x-shopping a Model S against a number of other EVs and the fact that it didn't fit into our garage space immediately eliminated it from consideration. Luckily we were a 10 minute drive from the Telsa store so could test this without a longer drive, but I'm guessing that not the case for the majority of car buyers.
      06-20-2022, 08:30 AM   #39
ApexM4CS
///M4
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M3CX / '21 X7

Nice update!

Good write up. I am replacing my '21 X7 with a iX in a very similar spec.
Appreciate 1
Refujeet262.50
      06-20-2022, 09:20 AM   #40
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itWorks View Post
Hidious-looking kidney grill. Looks like an appliance. A BMW Refrigerator.
Wow! There's a grille on the front?!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 09:37 AM   #41
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexM4CS View Post
Good write up. I am replacing my '21 X7 with a iX in a very similar spec.
What is your take on the luxury aspect IX vs X7?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 02:10 PM   #42
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
The front is roomier, but the rear seat definitely has less space. However, the back seat has more space than the G05 X5...probably feels like the same as the F15 X5 (if I remember correctly).

With regards to ride height, it wasn't a big deal for me. BUT, my wife said she "felt lower than the X7", and she missed the higher vantage from the X7.
Leg and shoulder room x5 vs x7 identical. Head room 1” more in x7 fwiw
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 02:36 PM   #43
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Leg and shoulder room x5 vs x7 identical. Head room 1” more in x7 fwiw
Are you talking about front legroom? Rear legroom is definitely more in X7.

Also, my comment was referencing F15 X5 versus G05 X5.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 03:32 PM   #44
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Are you talking about front legroom? Rear legroom is definitely more in X7.

Also, my comment was referencing F15 X5 versus G05 X5.
Ah misunderstood but nonetheless ix has more legroom than current x5 and x7, which have same amount of second row legroom
Appreciate 1
Refujeet262.50