BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

08-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #1
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Share your EVSE rig

Home charging is probably the most convenient way to keep the iX fueled. If you're like me, that means getting an electrician to run new conduit and selecting an EVSE (the wall unit with the cable). People call EVSEs "chargers" but that's incorrect. The charger is in the car.

The iX specs say the charger can charge up to 11kW when using AC. (DC charging is faster but only available with a DC supply limiting that to public EVSEs.) That's 48 amps. That means you need a 60 amp supply to the EVSE due to the US electrical code. The code also mandates that 60 amp service also has to be hardwired to enable the EVSE to run at full speed.

So my electrician is installing two 60 amp service lines to my garage with disconnects and hardwiring a ChargePoint CPH50 to one of them.

The second unused line is for the future when both of my cars are electric.

What are you doing for your garage?
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 05:59 PM   #2
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Where are you installing the 2 EVSEs in your garage?
How are you going to account for all the different charging port locations in your future EVs?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 09:17 PM   #3
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Where are you installing the 2 EVSEs in your garage?
How are you going to account for all the different charging port locations in your future EVs?

I have a two car garage. I park both cars face-in. I’m mounting the first EVSE on the wall facing the nose of the car. The ChargePoint Home Flex has a 23’ cable. The iX charge port is on the passenger rear quarter panel. I measured and it’s probably about 16’ feet away. Easy-peasy
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 05:11 PM   #4
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
My current EVSE is a Tesla mobile connector @ 32A. The 50A (14-50) circuit is plumbed for 60A to allow for additional capacity and flexibility. I have an iX 50 and i4 M50 reservation, so will be moving up to a different charger once acquired.
      09-12-2021, 07:14 AM   #5
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBahn View Post
My current EVSE is a Tesla mobile connector @ 32A. The 50A (14-50) circuit is plumbed for 60A to allow for additional capacity and flexibility. I have an iX 50 and i4 M50 reservation, so will be moving up to a different charger once acquired.
Does this mean you're adding an iX or moving away from Tesla?

I was in a Tesla store yesterday. The Model Y on the showroom floor had misaligned window trim. The sales dude said it was "in spec". A pre-production iX I saw and sat it had better build quality.

I know Telesrati accept no criticism but I'll give up 50 miles of range for better fit and finish.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 08:09 AM   #6
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Quote:

I was in a Tesla store yesterday. The Model Y on the showroom floor had misaligned window trim. The sales dude said it was "in spec". A pre-production iX I saw and sat it had better build quality.

I know Telesrati accept no criticism but I'll give up 50 miles of range for better fit and finish.
Same here. The iX would take a lot of Tesla market share if not for the polarizing front end. Even my wife would give up her MY for the iX, we placed a deposit but we'll have to see it love. The MX is a no go because of the yoke and falcon doors.

The MY Performance we have has excellent drive train, Tesla's charging network is excellent and the seats are comfortable for long trips and storage is also great. However, the lack of a more traditional dashboard and physical controls makes it more inconvenient.

The auto pilot on the Tesla is really good as a cruise control for long drives, not talking about FSD since we don't have it on ours.

I really like everything about the iX except the front grill. I even prefer the interior to the current X5. Anyway, I am looking forward to the iX. We have the highest wattage home Tesla charger in our garage. We also have a Tesla supercharger literally walking distance from our home and a public charging station for other EVs less than a mile away!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 12:28 PM   #7
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Same here. The iX would take a lot of Tesla market share if not for the polarizing front end. Even my wife would give up her MY for the iX, we placed a deposit but we'll have to see it love. The MX is a no go because of the yoke and falcon doors.

The MY Performance we have has excellent drive train, Tesla's charging network is excellent and the seats are comfortable for long trips and storage is also great. However, the lack of a more traditional dashboard and physical controls makes it more inconvenient.

The auto pilot on the Tesla is really good as a cruise control for long drives, not talking about FSD since we don't have it on ours.

I really like everything about the iX except the front grill. I even prefer the interior to the current X5. Anyway, I am looking forward to the iX. We have the highest wattage home Tesla charger in our garage. We also have a Tesla supercharger literally walking distance from our home and a public charging station for other EVs less than a mile away!
I think the front end will grow on you. It looks good (to me) in person and up close, when you show people the wiring to keep frost off the sensors behind it, you stop thinking of it as a "grill" (which it isn't) and realize that it's the "input panel" for the brains of the car.

My G01s both have Driving Assistant Pro and so have a radar sensor low in the front bumper. In the schnizz of a snowy day in New England, they get covered and the system goes offline.

The iX has that licked and that makes me respond differently to the design aesthetics.

I'm more concerned that you cannot open the hood. Not because I want a frunk but because you might want to clean under the hood.
Appreciate 1
FCX52364.00
      09-12-2021, 03:27 PM   #8
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I think the front end will grow on you. It looks good (to me) in person and up close, when you show people the wiring to keep frost off the sensors behind it, you stop thinking of it as a "grill" (which it isn't) and realize that it's the "input panel" for the brains of the car.

My G01s both have Driving Assistant Pro and so have a radar sensor low in the front bumper. In the schnizz of a snowy day in New England, they get covered and the system goes offline.

The iX has that licked and that makes me respond differently to the design aesthetics.

I'm more concerned that you cannot open the hood. Not because I want a frunk but because you might want to clean under the hood.
Thanks! I am not bothered by not being able to open the front. It would be a nice to have. We seldom use the frunk on the MY, even if we thought we would use it a lot since it takes an extra step to open…The iX is really the perfect size luxury SUV. IMHO.
Appreciate 2
Yobyot492.50
volodp196.50
      09-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #9
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:

Both -- I'm really over Tesla... same thoughts on fit/finish.... my only concern is charge network, but I'll manage
      11-12-2021, 02:42 AM   #10
Jeff661
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX x50 Stormbay Metalic

Garage List
2023 BMW iX x50  [0.00]
I installed the ClipperCreek dual charger. It’s 32A and manages the load between two cars with 16 each when both are charging up to 32 to one if just one is charging. Also ran the cord along the ceiling and it drops in the right spot for my Volt.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 11:59 AM   #11
daswartz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i xdrive, GT350

I should probably take a picture of it, but it is easy enough to explain. I installed a Juice Box 40 wired by Enel-X in-between 2 of the garage doors (single 8' openings). The charger can reach both of our incoming EVs. I was very excited to configure our iX yesterday, and hope to soon configure the i4 M50 any time now. The cord is 25'. It will reach both cars and since my wife stays home with the kids and is really only bops around town, she won't need to charge as often.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 09:22 PM   #12
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Anyone have an EVSE recommendations for an outdoor installation ( I do not have a choice about this) in an area with cold Canadian winters?

Right now I am leaning towards a Flo G5 for 1000$ CAD
https://store.en.flo.com/products/flo-home-g5

Pros: has a cable that stays very flexible in extreme cold conditions, it is rated to work at -40 degrees, is NEMA 4X certified, the holster for the charger easily guides the connector end into it and can be done easily without needing to be precise, has decent lighting to help you see where to place the connector

Cons: high price, not available with 48 amps (max 30A / 7.2kW)
available as a "smart" EVSE but that adds another 300$ to the price.

I have been watching and reading reviews of EVSEs and am coming to the conclusion that this is the best one at the moment for an outdoor installation. If anyone has other recommendations, let me know.
Appreciate 0