BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-05-2021, 06:54 PM   #5677
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Was actually gifted this by a friend. I don’t know much about cross bows, but it definitely seems to pack a bunch. You better get your target in one shot though because reloading is a bitch!

Appreciate 3
Dang3r12508.50
      12-05-2021, 07:49 PM   #5678
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Thank goodness. I was in a Ducati forum a couple weeks ago and I have seemed to burned some bridges there with my unacceptable behavior (which is the same way I behave everywhere, which most active members here know that I'm relatively well behaved)
I'd be more afraid of a Ducati than your gun collection. I know how to handle guns. A Ducati is way out of my league.
I'm also a motorcycle enthusiast, which is why I bought a BMW bike to supplement while my Ducati is under the the knife, lol

Not to derail the firearms thread, but long story short, a few of the guys on the Ducati forum came off as keyboard warriors, when I asked one of them to meet in person when he was persistent in telling me of my inappropriate behavior when first feeling the buyers market before deciding to just pay for fixing the bike through insurance.

But circling back to our weapons thread, any tool can be either dangerous, efficient or fun, depending on the experience of the operator. Whether it be vehicles or weapons, practice and training will make us all master of the craft and the inexperienced will either hate or become inspired to learn.

Let us teach the eager to learn, or ignore those who chose to remain uneducated.
      12-06-2021, 12:12 AM   #5679
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:

Did a little maintenance today and realized the batteries were dead on my rifle optics... what kind of samurai would I be if I was caught of guard without properly working weapons!?!?

Take away is, perform regular maintenance on your tools, regardless if they're for recreation, protection or every day use.

Disclaimer before getting flamed since everyone is so sensitive nowadays; everything I use for protection in my professional field is maintained on a weekly basis. These few in the pic are purely for collection/ enthusiast/ recreation purposes. Similar to my sword collection.
I see you and your coins. I also see that shot glass so I'm assuming Army?

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2021, 05:02 AM   #5680
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Quote:

Did a little maintenance today and realized the batteries were dead on my rifle optics... what kind of samurai would I be if I was caught of guard without properly working weapons!?!?

Take away is, perform regular maintenance on your tools, regardless if they're for recreation, protection or every day use.

Disclaimer before getting flamed since everyone is so sensitive nowadays; everything I use for protection in my professional field is maintained on a weekly basis. These few in the pic are purely for collection/ enthusiast/ recreation purposes. Similar to my sword collection.
I see you and your coins. I also see that shot glass so I'm assuming Army?
Sharp eye!!

Yes, Army for 20 year now... and counting.
      12-06-2021, 05:04 AM   #5681
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Was actually gifted this by a friend. I don’t know much about cross bows, but it definitely seems to pack a bunch. You better get your target in one shot though because reloading is a bitch!

I've always wanted a crossbow ever since I was a kid! Maybe I should start nudging Santa since you got one as a gift already, lol.

Never fired one before, but I've been to many archery ranges with my compound bow.

How do you like sending bolts downrange so far?
      12-06-2021, 07:22 AM   #5682
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sharp eye!!

14 and counting here. They suckered me to stay in by dangling another "deployment" and retirement numbers in my face.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2021, 07:36 AM   #5683
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sharp eye!!

14 and counting here. They suckered me to stay in by dangling another "deployment" and retirement numbers in my face.
Thank you for your service, Battle!

I know how it goes, lol. I drank the Kool aid about 12 years ago when deployments we're in heavy rotation then decided to become a lifer once I crossed over the 10 year hump.

Plan on retiring when my ETS comes around in '25 though. Honestly not very happy with how troops are being developed nowadays so I think it's time for this old-timer to shed the uniform for the last time in the near future.

Stay safe out there!
      12-06-2021, 07:54 AM   #5684
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Quote:
I've always wanted a crossbow ever since I was a kid! Maybe I should start nudging Santa since you got one as a gift already, lol.

Never fired one before, but I've been to many archery ranges with my compound bow.

I use to work at an Archery company, and crossbows scare the crap out of me. They are so damn dangerous. Ill take shooting my compound over a xbow anytime!
      12-06-2021, 08:02 AM   #5685
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your service, Battle!

I know how it goes, lol. I drank the Kool aid about 12 years ago when deployments we're in heavy rotation then decided to become a lifer once I crossed over the 10 year hump.

Plan on retiring when my ETS comes around in '25 though. Honestly not very happy with how troops are being developed nowadays so I think it's time for this old-timer to shed the uniform for the last time in the near future.

Stay safe out there!
Thanks for your service as well. I completely agree on the Soldier development part. I was raised with old school values, joined in a time when I had old school leaders, so I'm and old school soul and these kids and rules now-a-days drive me up a damn wall. I'm waiting for that 20 year letter and then I'll see where I'm at and how I feel. I've been in an Armor Brigade my whole career which has been fast paced and continuous readiness and I'm drained. Moving to a regional training unit next which means no more field, no more NTC, no more deployments so it's going to be a big change in environment and pace. Maybe I can make an impact on younger Soldiers while there.

Back on topic, I now have 3 bang sticks ordered to pick up when I get home.

Obsidian Arms AR Pistol, 5.56, 10" barrel
Atheris Rifle AR, 6.5 Grendel, 18" barrel
M&P9 long slide

Submitting a suppressor stamp as soon as I get home for the 5.56.
6.5 is going to be set up to try and reach out 1000 yrds. It's a slight stretch for the 6.5 in a 18", but should be doable.

Appreciate 1
      12-06-2021, 08:15 AM   #5686
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:

Submitting a suppressor stamp as soon as I get home for the 5.56.
6.5 is going to be set up to try and reach out 1000 yrds. It's a slight stretch for the 6.5 in a 18", but should be doable.
You might not have to wait until you get home. The BATFEio is going live with the E-forms soon, if not already. If you can, get started now.
Appreciate 1
///d1814.00
      12-06-2021, 08:34 AM   #5687
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:

I have nothing to compare it to other than hand guns and rifles as I’ve never shot any other kind of bow. It’s weird because it feels like I’m holding a rifle especially with the scope and all, but then you fire and no kick and super quiet. It is very heavy at the end so it makes it harder to aim accurately from a distance, probably need a monopod or something. The biggest down side is reload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
I use to work at an Archery company, and crossbows scare the crap out of me. They are so damn dangerous. Ill take shooting my compound over a xbow anytime!
I don’t know much about them, but I will say I almost shit my pants the first time I tried loading it. It came with some kind of wench system for loading, super sketch. I did it, but I thought something was going to fly off at any moment. After that I used the manual method with the little rope or whatever it’s called. That was 100x easier and faster.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #5688
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I have nothing to compare it to other than hand guns and rifles as I’ve never shot any other kind of bow. It’s weird because it feels like I’m holding a rifle especially with the scope and all, but then you fire and no kick and super quiet. It is very heavy at the end so it makes it harder to aim accurately from a distance, probably need a monopod or something. The biggest down side is reload.

I don’t know much about them, but I will say I almost shit my pants the first time I tried loading it. It came with some kind of wench system for loading, super sketch. I did it, but I thought something was going to fly off at any moment. After that I used the manual method with the little rope or whatever it’s called. That was 100x easier and faster.
I cant tell you how many lawsuits we had due to improper use. Best words of advice...

1)Always use the proper bolts, and make sure its knocked properly.
2)Never, ever let your fingers go anywhere they shouldnt be.
3)When not in use keep it stored in a hardcase.
      12-09-2021, 11:39 AM   #5689
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Anyone have any thoughts on NeoMag? Thought about ordering one for my husband for Christmas.

https://theneomag.com/shop-neomag/
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #5690
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:

That's why I like Trijicons...no batteries to worry about.

But also because my ACOG held up through multiple deployments, getting banged around, run over by a humvee, and all kinds of other abuse. The fiber optic part looked like shattered glass, exterior was beat to hell, but it still held zero and the glass was just fine.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2021, 02:28 PM   #5691
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:

My dad was the manager of a distribution centre for a large now defunct sporting good chain in Canada back in the 80's. They were thinking about getting into some hunting equipment and got a cross bow to try it out. They set up a 3/4" sheet of plywood in front of a shipping door and fired the crossbow at it thinking it would be safe. I remember dad saying they were shocked that it went through the plywood, the shipping door, across the parking lot and through a steel mailbox..At that point an executive decision was made that these things are not toys and would not be sold in the stores.
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2021, 03:18 PM   #5692
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:

My dad was the manager of a distribution centre for a large now defunct sporting good chain in Canada back in the 80's. They were thinking about getting into some hunting equipment and got a cross bow to try it out. They set up a 3/4" sheet of plywood in front of a shipping door and fired the crossbow at it thinking it would be safe. I remember dad saying they were shocked that it went through the plywood, the shipping door, across the parking lot and through a steel mailbox..At that point an executive decision was made that these things are not toys and would not be sold in the stores.
.... woah

Sounds like it should be treated like a true firearm by checking what's beyond our intended targets before firing
      12-09-2021, 04:53 PM   #5693
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
.... woah

Sounds like it should be treated like a true firearm by checking what's beyond our intended targets before firing
So in Canada, there is pretty concise definitions of what a firearm is, I suspect the same for the US. Principally it require a barrel and projectile. So a crossbow wouldn't make the definition. Having said that, crossbows often get mentioned as a restriction when someone is probated from owning or possessing firearms. Not in the same category as an AR but something that can be serious. We actually had a "professional" hit that used a cross bow a few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 08:24 PM   #5694
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Less bows and arrows. More fire sticks! This is my dad's concealed carry in the 1960s and 70s.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Todd0131379.50
Dang3r12508.50
Murf99314114.00
      12-10-2021, 09:55 AM   #5695
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on NeoMag? Thought about ordering one for my husband for Christmas.

https://theneomag.com/shop-neomag/
I have a couple. They work fine, but I don't use them much. Putting an extra mag in my pocket takes up a bunch of space and I normally keep my cell phone in that pocket, so the mag ends up beating on my phone. And with the mag there, I have a hard time reaching into my pocket to get my phone.

I tried using the Neomag to hold a spare mag inside my waistband, but that wasn't secure enough. The mag got knocked loose a few times.

Besides all of that, I've pretty much stopped carrying a spare mag.

If your hubby doesn't keep much in the pocket where the Neomag goes, then it might work for him.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #5696
retroviol3t
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Jahre - Techno Violet

I have a nice DD MK18 that I am adding mods to.. thus far just have a EOTech on it but I need to make the drive back to Arizona to get it and bring it to Nashville. My dad took possession of it for me when I bought it out in Arizona since it was readily available and not out here.

I have shot it out there just havent brought it back yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Dpc2u11503.00
blaccm3318.00
      12-15-2021, 06:19 AM   #5697
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

SSG or AAA for effect?

Attachment 2765732

Last edited by Lady Jane; 01-06-2022 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 2
ggunn9160.00
DrFerry6725.50
      12-30-2021, 01:49 PM   #5698
Socaldriver
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxrick View Post
I didn't see a firearms section but I thought I would start this thread.

I have no hobbies except cars. Golf isn't my thing, tennis...done with it. Guns? Yes! I'm down.

I drive by a range/shop 2x per day (to and fro work) and decided to take a class and see whats up. I have been exposed to gun most of my life: some rifles, shotguns and pistols but never owned one.

So here I am...after the class: 3hours: 2 safety and 1 shooting, I love it!

Anyone else into it? My first gun is a Glock 19, 9mm. It's very cliche to buy a Glock but I fired a lot of guns at the class and it just "felt" great...I had to have it.

Any one else into it?
Shoot it. Lube it. Wipe it. Clean it. Lock it. Repeat!
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
Dang3r12508.50
chowser512025.00
upstatedoc7555.50
blaccm3318.00