BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-27-2017, 12:58 AM   #1
csczero
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Kids messing with my car but no damage?

So I usually park as FAR away from everyone as possible because like everyone else, I hate door dings. I live in an apartment complex and usually the better spots are always taken. But sometimes there is a spot open next to a dumpster which I like to park next to. This is because the dumpster itself takes up one parking spot, and then the two spots on its side are half coned off (meaning you can't park in this spot). This way I can back up into the spot and kind of cross into the coned spot so I am further away from the possible car that ends up parking next to me.

However, earlier this afternoon two kids saw my car and said "what an asshole taking up two spots...thinking he's hot shit". Well i wasn't ,considering one of the spot is not for parking anyways (the coned spot). I have this captured on my dash cam. The kid end up taking the cones and surrounded my car with it. One of the cone hit my car and can be heard through the audio but the scuff I was able to rub off.

My dash cam recorded the type of car he drove (he parked right next to me). Saw both the guys enter the same apartment complex I live in, but I only moved here few weeks ago so I don't know any faces.

My question is, is it worth doing anything?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 01:16 AM   #2
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Nope. Let it go.
Appreciate 4
wrickem2101.00
Soul_Glo13346.00
Dackelone10531.50
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      06-27-2017, 01:28 AM   #3
04mazdaspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

I would say something but that is me. Then again, if I lived in a apartment, I wouldn't own a nice car since people don't care about other people's things.
Appreciate 1
P111567.50
      06-27-2017, 01:33 AM   #4
csczero
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm only living in an apartment right now for the time being for Summer classes at a college. Being prior military, I get housing allowance. The less I spend on rent, the more money I get to pocket myself.

I want to file a police report, or report to someone but its so minor I don't know who would even care. I don't want to have teenagers think its okay to mess with other peoples properties.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 02:25 AM   #5
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 / '06 S2K

I'd find their parents and tell them what happened. Just be cool about it though, and tell them you have it recorded and that you're asking them to handle it at their level because you don't want to go to apartment management or authorities. I think filing a police report at this point will make you look like a big douche.

Talk to some of the other tenants about it too if you can, esp those that have line of sight of the parking lot from their units, so they're aware of it. If you don't know your neighbors, take the time to get to know them. If people know you and like you as a person, they'll look out for you. You can't rely on yourself and a dashcam if those teenagers have free reign around the complex. You'll always be at risk of retaliation by the kids, and they'll easily find ways to mess with your car without getting recorded, but at least you'll have addressed it with the adults before things possibly escalate.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 02:33 AM   #6
csczero
Enlisted Member
Rep

Unfortunately, I'm only going to be living in this apartment for couple more weeks before I move out. And even though I address them as kids/teenagers, they are like in their 20s probably. This apartment is mostly college students. I only call them kids because I'm much older than them.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 03:19 AM   #7
GT_H9RV
Banned
Rep
Drives: 13 320D GT

You need to slap them up and show them whos boss. Find out which apartment they live in and you and 2 of your buddies (If youve got buddies, that is) kick the door down and show them whos boss. Take a golf club with you and wear a mask. Smash em in the knee caps and then go Burger King. Dont be a P**** and do nothing about it.
Appreciate 2
Cattivo680.50
ska///235i1367.50
      06-27-2017, 05:55 AM   #8
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker
I'd find their parents and tell them what happened. Just be cool about it though, and tell them you have it recorded and that you're asking them to handle it at their level because you don't want to go to apartment management or authorities. I think filing a police report at this point will make you look like a big douche.

Talk to some of the other tenants about it too if you can, esp those that have line of sight of the parking lot from their units, so they're aware of it. If you don't know your neighbors, take the time to get to know them. If people know you and like you as a person, they'll look out for you. You can't rely on yourself and a dashcam if those teenagers have free reign around the complex. You'll always be at risk of retaliation by the kids, and they'll easily find ways to mess with your car without getting recorded, but at least you'll have addressed it with the adults before things possibly escalate.
I agree with this advice.

The community within the apt complex would be the best way to police those kids.

Maybe introduce yourself to your immediate next door neighbors to get the flow going.

To be honest, whatever you decide, you will have to act fast because the more often you continue to park in the same spot, the retaliation pranks against tour car will probably get worse over time.

I know others may joke around (or perhaps be quite serious) about dishing out street justice, but I can tell you from experience that this course of action will not work unless you move away from that complex the same day.

06-27-2017, 05:58 AM   #9
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

Quote:
Originally Posted by csczero View Post
So I usually park as FAR away from everyone as possible because like everyone else, I hate door dings. I live in an apartment complex and usually the better spots are always taken. But sometimes there is a spot open next to a dumpster which I like to park next to. This is because the dumpster itself takes up one parking spot, and then the two spots on its side are half coned off (meaning you can't park in this spot). This way I can back up into the spot and kind of cross into the coned spot so I am further away from the possible car that ends up parking next to me.

However, earlier this afternoon two kids saw my car and said "what an asshole taking up two spots...thinking he's hot shit". Well i wasn't ,considering one of the spot is not for parking anyways (the coned spot). I have this captured on my dash cam. The kid end up taking the cones and surrounded my car with it. One of the cone hit my car and can be heard through the audio but the scuff I was able to rub off.

My dash cam recorded the type of car he drove (he parked right next to me). Saw both the guys enter the same apartment complex I live in, but I only moved here few weeks ago so I don't know any faces.

Appreciate 1
      06-27-2017, 06:00 AM   #10
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:

Only thing I would do is move to nicer digs.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 06:01 AM   #11
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_H9RV View Post
You need to slap them up and show them whos boss. Find out which apartment they live in and you and 2 of your buddies (If youve got buddies, that is) kick the door down and show them whos boss. Take a golf club with you and wear a mask. Smash em in the knee caps and then go Burger King. Dont be a P**** and do nothing about it.
You're becoming quite the troll.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410784.50
      06-27-2017, 06:02 AM   #12
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm only going to be living in this apartment for couple more weeks before I move out. And even though I address them as kids/teenagers, they are like in their 20s probably. This apartment is mostly college students. I only call them kids because I'm much older than them.
It is good if you can let them know that you know which units they live in and say nothing else. You won't have any other trouble unless they are the jail is my career choice type.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 06:05 AM   #13
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

You guy's are all wrong,

You need to go and stand by your car get a megaphone, and yell into it and say something like this

"THIS is the ultimate driving machine, it's called a BMW, if anyone touches this mofo, please understand this and I am not afraid to go back to prison... Bitches"

Should work
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 06:06 AM   #14
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I think he was just j/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 06:32 AM   #15
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Do nothing especially if you move out in two weeks. You do not want the situation escalated and your car getting keyed!
Appreciate 3
P111567.50
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      06-27-2017, 06:34 AM   #16
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:
It is good if you can let them know that you know which units they live in and say nothing else. You won't have any other trouble unless they are the jail is my career choice type.
Put the cones outside their door one night?

( not quite a horsehead in the bed but.....)

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 1
omasou2086.50
      06-27-2017, 07:03 AM   #17
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Careful, or he'll call you a Jabroni You don't want to be called a Jabroni by a 13 year old, do you?

Last edited by wrickem; 06-27-2017 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 07:05 AM   #18
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 / '06 S2K

Quote:
If that's the case I wouldn't risk escalating the issue. Maybe say something to them the day you leave, if that will help you sleep better at night.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 07:39 AM   #19
GT_H9RV
Banned
Rep
Drives: 13 320D GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Careful, or he'll call you a Jabroni You don't want to be called a Jabroni by a 13 year old, do you?
Your mums 13 years old jabroni
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      06-27-2017, 08:10 AM   #20
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Don't park like an asshole?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #21
wrickem