BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Thumbs down Samsung Washing Machines

Roll Call....who has them? Who has encountered the nightmare of ownership of these damn things? I purchased my set in 2014 and have had nothing but problems out of it. First it it was the bracket for the water pump; this thing was attached to the bottom of the drum, which over time from vibration from the spin cycle, breaks and causes the pump to fall disconnecting the hose from the tub and floods the floor. It took 2 months to get the warranty service guy to finally fix it after a recall was announced. Recently I noticed my drum is unbalanced and this causes the machine to go between a spin and rinse cycle continuously, meaning the wash cycle never completes. I go online and start looking up how to fix this and find that there is another recall on them. Apparently some unfortunate individual suffered a broken jaw from their machine exploding due to an unbalanced drum. I get in touch with Samsung to schedule service work to be performed again. The service guy arrives this past Saturday to do the work and rather than fixing the unbalanced drum issue, the recall only permits for the outer shell of the machine to be reinforced in order to keep the machine from "exploding." Rather than solving the problem they are simply protecting themselves from further law suits. On the bright side, the recall does extend a 1 year warranty from the date of the recall service being performed.

If you own a Samsung washing machine, definitely look up recall information. I will hang on to mine for another year while it is under warranty and then will be selling mine and going with another brand. In the event that you are shopping for a new washing machine, I DO NOT recommend Samsung. I have had mine for 4 years and have had continual problems with it.
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1455.00
      07-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

can you post your model info? i recently bought a samsung washer a few weeks ago and love it thus far: WF45N5300AW
      07-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Man, my house is littered with samsung products (washer, dryer, range, microwave, dishwasher, fridge, tv, phones, etc).

My only bad luck with their lineup so far is that their TV's are a shot in the dark. Work fine at first but bad controller boards run rampant on many of the models causing dead pixels or even full vertical banding.

So far the 'large' appliances have been holding up (*knock knock*)
King Rudi13154.00
Soul_Glo13347.00
MrRoboto1845.50
      07-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I have washer and dryer from them from 2012 and no issues
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I recently went into my Sears "hometown" store with the intent of buying the sexiest Samsung washer and dryer they had. I was pretty excited, if you can even get excited about a new washer/dryer. The woman who owns the store and has always been upfront with me said, "why don't you buy this one instead, this is the one I have in my house". I left with a bigger capacity, less expensive but almost as sexy Kenmore Elite set. After reading your post, I feel like I dodged a bullet. I hope it works out for you.
King Rudi13154.00
upstatedoc7559.50
      07-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

ive had nothing but good luck from mine *knock on wood*

bought in 2015 when we bought a house. Top load washer with the washing sink thing, top load dryer with steam or something. I dont do laundry, but wife does a load every couple days.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #7
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Had a recall service on our washer shortly after buying. Nothing wrong with ours but there was an issue if you washed rain gear or certain items on wrong cycle it could break. Otherwise they have been pretty flawless.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #8
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

You must have got a lemon ....go Maytag next time round.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #9
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
can you post your model info? i recently bought a samsung washer a few weeks ago and love it thus far: WF45N5300AW
WA456DRHDSU/AA. I would try to find someone to provide an extended warranty. Just a heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paimon.soror View Post
Man, my house is littered with samsung products (washer, dryer, range, microwave, dishwasher, fridge, tv, phones, etc).

My only bad luck with their lineup so far is that their TV's are a shot in the dark. Work fine at first but bad controller boards run rampant on many of the models causing dead pixels or even full vertical banding.

So far the 'large' appliances have been holding up (*knock knock*)
Same here. I have to say I love my TV's. Good luck on the washer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I have washer and dryer from them from 2012 and no issues
Consider yourself lucky sir. I envy you. Don't get me wrong, when it works I love it. Unfortunately, I've had far less issues with much less expensive sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I recently went into my Sears "hometown" store with the intent of buying the sexiest Samsung washer and dryer they had. I was pretty excited, if you can even get excited about a new washer/dryer. The woman who owns the store and has always been upfront with me said, "why don't you buy this one instead, this is the one I have in my house". I left with a bigger capacity, less expensive but almost as sexy Kenmore Elite set. After reading your post, I feel like I dodged a bullet. I hope it works out for you.
You had an excellent sales person! Avoided selling you something that she knew you would potentially have problems with; without speaking poorly of the company. You definitely dodged a potential bullet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
ive had nothing but good luck from mine *knock on wood*

bought in 2015 when we bought a house. Top load washer with the washing sink thing, top load dryer with steam or something. I dont do laundry, but wife does a load every couple days.
The model I have is similar to yours without the sink. Identical in every other way. I bought mine in 2014 and live alone, so I'm only doing enough laundry for one person; so there isn't excessive usage at all. Good luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilki0101 View Post
Had a recall service on our washer shortly after buying. Nothing wrong with ours but there was an issue if you washed rain gear or certain items on wrong cycle it could break. Otherwise they have been pretty flawless.
What kind of recall work did they do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
You must have got a lemon ....go Maytag next time round.
I don't see my getting a lemon being the case here. I will definitely buy either a Maytag or Kenmore next go around.

34 models and 2.8 million machines under recall.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2016/sa...shing-machines

Check your model numbers, you may be covered under the recall. You can schedule a time for Dish Network to come and install new brackets on your washers. After the recall work is performed you will have an extended 1 year manufacturers warranty to cover anything else.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...s-801440835863

Last edited by King Rudi; 07-23-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Most newer appliances arent made to last buy one thats a 20 years old?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #11
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Honestly I'm considering buying an older model. One that isn't digital or computer based. The more complicated something is made, the more complicated it is. I don't need proximity sensors, lasers or wifi in my washing machine, I just need it to wash my clothes.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #12
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I have a 2011 which is still kicking (well, washing). It did have a failure of the door seal, but with a bit of Googling and YouTubing I was able to buy and install a replacement. I got to install it twice since I missed an important step the first time. This also allowed me the opportunity to skin any remaining knuckles!

Other than that episode it has been fine. We recently moved and brought it along. The dryer, also Samsung, would not dry in the new house. It turned out that the dryer vent to the outside was so plugged up that it could not push air past it - and it must have some sort of fire prevention that turns the heat off in that circumstance. We pulled about 2 cu ft (or more) from the dryer vent using a drill and brush tool (available at Lowes or HD) with several extensions and working from both ends. Amazing what people will let accumulate!

By the way, that tool is also pretty great for cleaning out downspouts.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #13
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I have a 2011 which is still kicking (well, washing). It did have a failure of the door seal, but with a bit of Googling and YouTubing I was able to buy and install a replacement. I got to install it twice since I missed an important step the first time. This also allowed me the opportunity to skin any remaining knuckles!

Other than that episode it has been fine. We recently moved and brought it along. The dryer, also Samsung, would not dry in the new house. It turned out that the dryer vent to the outside was so plugged up that it could not push air past it - and it must have some sort of fire prevention that turns the heat off in that circumstance. We pulled about 2 cu ft (or more) from the dryer vent using a drill and brush tool (available at Lowes or HD) with several extensions and working from both ends. Amazing what people will let accumulate!

By the way, that tool is also pretty great for cleaning out downspouts.
Had a buddy of mine run into the same issue a few years back. His wife went out and bought a new washer and dryer based off the fact that she couldn't use the dryer. It ended up being a blown fuse due to excessive lint because she never cleaned out the trap. After purchasing the new washer and dryer (around $3k) the new dryer stopped working and it was the same problem. My buddy works on the road and wasn't home during all of this. She calls a repair guy and then finds that the problem was her laziness after spending close to $6k. The fix was to clean the ducts, and replace a fuse.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #14
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post

What kind of recall work did they do?

[/url]

They reinforced the drum with new brackets and replaced the panel display to change the load settings. He was there about an hour. Not sure we really needed to do it, but figured better safe than sorry.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #15
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:

Or buy ones that are built in Germany like a Miele.
Appreciate 1
xander_g995.50
      07-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #16
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilki0101 View Post
They reinforced the drum with new brackets and replaced the panel display to change the load settings. He was there about an hour. Not sure we really needed to do it, but figured better safe than sorry.
I got new brackets Saturday but that was all that they were to do under the recall. I made my appointment for other warranty work for this Wednesday. The guy I was chatting with said they would repair anything that was wrong with the machine. I told him it kept eating all my money and kept attractive women out of my home.....either I'm a bad comedian or he had no sense of humor. I imagine new tub struts and a new board will be the game plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Or buy ones that are built in Germany like a Miele.
Are they good for 30k miles and then I need to learn to turn a wrench? Is there a Mielerpost.com?
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #17
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I’ve had Miele and Bosch euro washers and dryers. They take forever - much longer cycle time (like their dishwashers), and the dryers don’t seem to get fully dry. That experience is a few years old, so might be they’ve Americanized them now.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:05 PM   #18
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I’ve had Miele and Bosch euro washers and dryers. They take forever - much longer cycle time (like their dishwashers), and the dryers don’t seem to get fully dry. That experience is a few years old, so might be they’ve Americanized them now.
Because the work completely differently, they are condensing dryers. Very energy efficient, but take longer. Not sure about the dishwasher, mine works great, no complaints.
Appreciate 1
xander_g995.50
      07-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #19
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

samsung has a great repair team if u call their 1800. When the coils in my fridge went and I tried to replace everything else had to throw the towel in.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #20
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
samsung has a great repair team if u call their 1800. When the coils in my fridge went and I tried to replace everything else had to throw the towel in.
I don't dispute this at all. They are very promt. My complaint is when I spend $1200 on a washing machine it expect it to work properly for longer than 12 months consecutively. On the plus side of all this their repair technicians are getting very efficient at what they do.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:19 PM   #21
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
I don't dispute this at all. They are very promt. My complaint is when I spend $1200 on a washing machine it expect it to work properly for longer than 12 months consecutively. On the plus side of all this their repair technicians are getting very efficient at what they do.
No, I totally hear you. It seems everything nowadays is just utter shit quality, to keep prices competitive.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #22
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

I have a Samsung washer and dryer purchased in 2011. It has worked well with only one issue to speak of. The washer door latch had to be replaced (part #DC34-00024B). $20 part and handyman charged me $50 to put it in IIRC.

Model Number WF350ANP (washer)
Model Number DV350AEP (dryer)

Now the refrigerator on the other hand is a piece. Won't ever buy another one.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00