Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #67
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I went against my better judgment and put a Samsung dishwasher in a rental recently; out of all the manufacturers, it was the cheapest unit with a stainless steel tub I could find...IT WAS SHITT!!11! Required multiple parts to be taken apart/replaced/etc. and still never ran right. I threw it out ~2 months in and replaced it with an entry level Bosch. No calls in over a year since then (furiously knocks on wood).

Have a Samsung fridge at home. No issues in like ~8 years.

For washers/dryers my family members and I have had really good luck with LG. We have units that are going on 10+ years and they still look/act/operate like they're brand new. Same with Bosch dishwashers.

Was reading Consumer Reports recently while waiting to see the dentist and they actually seemed to favor the Samsung washers/dryers though; not the highest end models they make, but the models just below them (not the 9xxx series, but the 8xxx series, or whatever they're called)...those scored the highest in testing for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #68
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
I went against my better judgment and put a Samsung dishwasher in a rental recently; out of all the manufacturers, it was the cheapest unit with a stainless steel tub I could find...IT WAS SHITT!!11! Required multiple parts to be taken apart/replaced/etc. and still never ran right. I threw it out ~2 months in and replaced it with an entry level Bosch. No calls in over a year since then (furiously knocks on wood).

Have a Samsung fridge at home. No issues in like ~8 years.

For washers/dryers my family members and I have had really good luck with LG. We have units that are going on 10+ years and they still look/act/operate like they're brand new.

Was reading Consumer Reports recently while waiting to see the dentist and they actually seemed to favor the Samsung washers/dryers; not the highest end models they make, but the models just below them (not the 9xxx series, but the 8xxx series, or whatever they're called)...those scored the highest in testing for some reason.
That's strange. Some possible cahooting going on here between Samsung and Consumer Reports? From everything I have read as of late, I will be going with LG next time. I did receive a follow up call from Samsung this morning asking about my warranty replacement experience. I gave all top scores for the guys that did the work, then it came to the last question....how likely I would be to recommend Samsung products in the future. I could hear the tension on the other end of the phone from the telemarketer as I said 0, I would never recommend anyone to buy a Samsung appliance. As professionally as she possible could, she promptly thanked me for time and hung up.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2018, 02:41 AM   #69
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I'm pretty good with repairing mine. They are like like bmw, nice and un reliable
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
Reborn_295.00
      07-28-2018, 03:20 AM   #70
McBride
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport +

I bought a Samsung washer a few months back. so Far it’s been faultless but I’m less optimistic now I’ve seen what people are saying on here.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 02:11 PM   #71
parnet17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013bmw135is

Buy a Top Loading Whirlpool or Maytag, which is made by Whirlpool' and made in America. Been out of the appliance business for a while but one of the problems with the front loaders is that they don't extract all the water and could end up smelling nasty and get mold on the rubber seal. Whirlpool used to make Kenmore not sure if they still do.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-31-2018, 07:57 AM   #72
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBride View Post
I bought a Samsung washer a few months back. so Far it’s been faultless but I’m less optimistic now I’ve seen what people are saying on here.
Check out the model numbers in the link I posted. If yours is on there you can do some digging online as to what to expect from issues with your model. From what I understand working on them is not difficult in the even that you have trouble when your warranty runs out. Hopefully you have a model that doesn't have known issues. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 08:41 AM   #73
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Will never touch another Samsung product again, their stuff is absolute crap. Both my TV and Fridge failed within 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #74
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid View Post
Everyone tells me samsung appliances and their service is the worst. Went with all LG
LG is just as bad, if not worse as they have limited repair people that may work on their products.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 01:07 PM   #75
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Update:

Two weeks ago the washer starts this very erratic filling process during the beginning of a a cycle. It stops/starts until the tub is completely filled. Call in for a service ticket to be submitted. The service guy shows up at my place on Tuesday. End result, Samsung is now going to replace the washer. Great news, I suppose. Rather than replace it with another brand new Samsung and buy the extended warranty, I'm going to wait until Black Friday and purchase a new set....that is not a Samsung. I am appreciative of the fact that they are going to reimburse me for what I paid for the washer though.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 01:39 PM   #76
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quick. When you are getting that last set of ToughSkins, pick up a Kenmore as well.

I think our set dates from around 2010, and at least the washer was replaced because Sears Home Repair couldn't any more.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 02:07 PM   #77
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quick. When you are getting that last set of ToughSkins, pick up a Kenmore as well.

I think our set dates from around 2010, and at least the washer was replaced because Sears Home Repair couldn't any more.
I'll be returning the tough skins to their maker in a lake of fire. My tough skins are the culprit behind the demise of my washer. No, I did not wash them because they were dirty; dirt knows better than to tangle with these bad boys. Dirt, grease nor stains have the structural integrity to adhere the magic that is tough skins denim. I threw these bad boys in the washer and what happened next could only be described as a battle royal cage match of the superior made garments. Not only was my laundry ejected from said washer one by one over the top rope, the tough skins had no shame as they destroyed the venue whence this historic battle took place.....my poor Samsung washer.

Let this be a lesson to those who dare tango with the the tough skins. You have been warned.

Disclaimer: To those brave enough to attempt to wield the mighty tough skins, I recommend buying flame retardant knee pads and titanium underwear to accompany; as not only will they remove all skin from your body at all points of bodily contact, you may possibly become a walking fire hazard from the friction of walking.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 02:26 PM   #78
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

I cheaped out and got a Samsung dishwasher after having had a Bosch in a previous house. I curse my cheapness every time I use the thing. I hate it. I really hate it. It doesnt dry the dishes for sh*t, it very quickly begins to stink and requires weekly washes with these deodorizing pellets. The plastic handles on the pull out racks both top and bottom disintegrated. The plastic control panel on the top edge of the door has some sort of top coat on it that's cracked and sluffing off.

I also have a Samsung washign machine. Hate that even more. It's a front load and despite keeping the door open at all times, other then when the thing is actually washing clothes, its still managed to grow a disgusting amount of mold on the door seal that is impossible to remove. it also has no option for spin only cycle for drying out wet clothes or towers. It's only 5 years old but i'm yanking the thing out this winter and replacing with a top load unit, not from Samsung.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      10-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #79
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I cheaped out and got a Samsung dishwasher after having had a Bosch in a previous house. I curse my cheapness every time I use the thing. I hate it. I really hate it. It doesnt dry the dishes for sh*t, it very quickly begins to stink and requires weekly washes with these deodorizing pellets. The plastic handles on the pull out racks both top and bottom disintegrated. The plastic control panel on the top edge of the door has some sort of top coat on it that's cracked and sluffing off.

I also have a Samsung washign machine. Hate that even more. It's a front load and despite keeping the door open at all times, other then when the thing is actually washing clothes, its still managed to grow a disgusting amount of mold on the door seal that is impossible to remove. it also has no option for spin only cycle for drying out wet clothes or towers. It's only 5 years old but i'm yanking the thing out this winter and replacing with a top load unit, not from Samsung.
Sadly, it seems that most appliances are like this now. We have skimped on quality for technology. My refrigerator door may not seal and ruin everything in there, but at least I have a tablet in the door and can see what food is ruining in my fridge from my phone. My washer may not wash my clothes and ruins my sub-floor from all the times it's flooded my home, but looks fancy. This is complete bullshit!

My close friends that I have talked to about this situation in past few days have told me that they sold their newer appliances and went backward to older units and no longer have any issues.

I honestly hate to consider getting an older used model, but at this point as long as my clothes are clean and dishes are washed what the machine looks like doesn't really matter. Frustrating to say the least.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11456.00
      10-25-2018, 03:08 PM   #80
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Sadly, it seems that most appliances are like this now. We have skimped on quality for technology. My refrigerator door may not seal and ruin everything in there, but at least I have a tablet in the door and can see what food is ruining in my fridge from my phone. My washer may not wash my clothes and ruins my sub-floor from all the times it's flooded my home, but looks fancy. This is complete bullshit!

My close friends that I have talked to about this situation in past few days have told me that they sold their newer appliances and went backward to older units and no longer have any issues.

I honestly hate to consider getting an older used model, but at this point as long as my clothes are clean and dishes are washed what the machine looks like doesn't really matter. Frustrating to say the least.
When Robin and I bought our current house (circa 1965) it had every original appliance still in it, with the exception of the fridge. The washing machine and dishwasher promptly died as the house had been sitting vacant for about a year while the former owners family worked through his estate. I suspect the seals dried out as both just immediately started leaking. I should have kept them and had them repaired. The dryer is a Maytag from 1965 and is freakin' awesome.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #81
NicoleLusts4BMW
BeachBitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Package 20" wheels

I have a SAMSUNG LED we purchased in 2006. Still going strong. Personally I can't believe my eyes that the picture quality is still so sharp. Want to get a newer 4k model but can'r seem to part with this one. Plus it's mounted nicely on the wall with all wires hidden in the wall. Not sure what I would get since I am convinced that the newer models use cheaper components and as a result won't last as long. How else can they sell them for < $1300 for a 4K 65 inch. Something had to give.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      10-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #82
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Samsung is the worst appliance manufacturer and has the worst support of ANY appliance I own or have owned.

Awful, terrible, would not recommend to anyone.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      10-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #83
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLusts4BMW View Post
I have a SAMSUNG LED we purchased in 2006. Still going strong. Personally I can't believe my eyes that the picture quality is still so sharp. Want to get a newer 4k model but can'r seem to part with this one. Plus it's mounted nicely on the wall with all wires hidden in the wall. Not sure what I would get since I am convinced that the newer models use cheaper components and as a result won't last as long. How else can they sell them for < $1300 for a 4K 65 inch. Something had to give.
I have a Samsung LED as well, actually 5. As far as I'm concerned they have the best TV's on the market. The only consideration I would have for upgrading would be larger and curved for the living room.

Appliance-wise from what I've seen and read is everything else they make is garbage.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 09:47 PM   #84
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
I have a Samsung LED as well, actually 5. As far as I'm concerned they have the best TV's on the market. The only consideration I would have for upgrading would be larger and curved for the living room.

Appliance-wise from what I've seen and read is everything else they make is garbage.
Sony and LG OLED are both better on the high end for TV.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #85
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

I have no opinion on the Samsung washer/dryers but do have an opinion in general. I have purchased 4 sets in my adult life. 3 of the four were top tier Maytag, Kenmore and then Whirlpool HE duets spending thousands of dollars each time. I think the duets were close to the $4,000 mark. I absolutely despise front load washing machines. The last set I bought I went the opposite direction and bought whirlpool cabrio. Top load washer which is HE and the dryer has steam. They do everything I need them to do and they do it well. I bought them as new scratch and dents and got both for $1,000. My dryer looks like someone kicked the shit out of it on one side that is against the wall. In all of this I have learned two things. 1. I will never own another front load washing machine. 2. I will never spend more than $1,000-$1,500 on a set ever again. I can't remember the last time someone came to my home and I asked them if they would like to check out my laundry room and my bad ass washer and dryer set up.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 10:51 PM   #86
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

I bought an LG dishwasher in about 2004. It was terrible - broke constantly, and was so bad they eventually replaced it. But not before it leaked and wrecked my hardwood floors... At that time, LG manufactured the Bosch dishwashers as well; they just decided to go out under their own brand name. And speaking of that, LG is "Lucky Goldstar" - you old timers will remember Goldstar appliances from the 70's. They coined the term "cheap shit."

I bought an LG front loading washer about the same time. It worked fine for a few years, and then started leaving strange oily stains on the clothes. I was cursing it, but found out that I was using too much detergent. On a front loader, you should only use 2-4 tablespoons of HE detergent; any more, and it clogs up the machine and the residue ends up on your clothes. These washers use 1/3 the water of a top load, so need much less.

I discovered that when you buy a front-loading washer and dryer, there are bolts you have to remove when setting them up. KEEP THE BOLTS. Put them in a baggie and tape them to the back of the machine. If you ever move it (like to another house), it's critical that you reinstall those bolts first; otherwise the drum will shake itself silly on the truck, and ruin the machine. If you lose the bolts, they are about $75/set. They usually install on the 4 corners of the back side of the machine. If buying a used front loader, ask if they have the bolts - if they don't, then you should bolt.

I now have a Miele dishwasher - it's great.
      10-26-2018, 12:13 AM   #87
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

I prefer washing machines with iOS... no Samsung here
Appreciate 1
bbbbmw2393.50
      10-26-2018, 01:20 AM   #88
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I have Samsung

Dryer – – broken heating element

Washer - same hose has broken five different times, last time I used hydraulic line; there is a plastic piece that is melted twi different times; door sensor failed

They are like bmw. Great products when they work
Appreciate 0