BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #111
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
I'd rather that than the aholes that act like I'm still in the running only to hide behind a generic rejection email
I've always tried to be as transparent as possible; whether it be in the interviewing process, being a manager, being the employee a husband or a dad. It isn't always possible but it just seems to make everything flow better when people can trust you rather than feeling like you're dealing with a spy and never getting a straight answer about anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Even worse are people that come in and try and BS their way through the interview. Especially when they are applying for a truck driving job. This happened last week. Didn't do well talking about his experience during the interview, even though he claimed to be driving for one company for 15 years. Got worse when he was brought out to the yard for the road test portion. I'll spare you all the technical stuff he tried to bluff through. At this point my VP knew the guy was full of it and just went with it to see how bad it would get for laughs. He didn't even know how to get the truck in gear. How the hell do you think you can bluff your way through having driving experience? Pretty scary - what if there is a company out there that didn't road test and just put the guy behind the wheel of a tractor trailer?
There is a company in KY that will hire him. I'm currently working on an insurance case where one of his drivers sideswiped our Ottawa Yard Dog a month ago. Broken (heated) driver side mirror and damaged 2 panels on the cab....$60k. The guy tried to act like it wasn't him that hit our truck. We got him on video picking up the mirror and throwing it in the trash.

It's amazing at what people try to get away with.

Last edited by King Rudi; 11-01-2018 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 4
cmyx6go15696.50
________4158.50
nyalpine907433.00
      11-01-2018, 07:58 AM   #112
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Interviewing for jobs is terrible. I DESPISE it. I'm also terrible at in person interviews. Uncomfortable as hell sitting there in a suit, some stranger that, most times, I'm smarter than asking me stupid questions, I'm an introvert to begin with, blah blah
Interviewing sucks. I feel I interview well, but I really hate some of the ridiculous questions like "where do you see yourself in 5 years?". Umm, hopefully here if it isn't a shit show that rewards bad employees.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 07:59 AM   #113
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Just an office....I guess she wanted to document to post somewhere
Document all the companies that rejected her for being stupid maybe.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 08:07 AM   #114
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
How'd that work out for you?
I was sort of joking and went on kind of laughed, they laughed and I got the job.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 08:13 AM   #115
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just an office....I guess she wanted to document to post somewhere
Proof to parents that she is "trying" to get a job so they continue to keep her up, I would imagine.
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
cmyx6go15696.50
      11-01-2018, 09:48 AM   #116
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
My favorite Q for the aspiring interns/residents: What question are you most hoping I don't ask you? I also pay huge attention to how they treat patients, office staff, and each other when 'nobody is looking' (favorite quote "I'll be nice to those people when they are paying me to do it").

I'm gonna miss interview season (not!) - I'd rather be panhandled by lepers than put up with the incessant brown-nosing.
Haven't gotten that question yet, would be quite the curveball.

The amount of small talk and BS is off putting for me. First the unnecessary Resident dinners the night before, then all of us interviewees kissing every Resident and PD's butt the next day. So much feigning interest in people because you have to. It is what it is.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #117
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Yeah, I mostly just use it to gauge how they react to s/t that isn't on script (or if things get really slow - in a 30min interview, only the densest minds can run out of stuff to talk about, so it is fun to prod them a little). Assuming you are in medicine, may help to do a little background research on the main research or new programs that they are into (recent pubs/grants, new procedures, etc), since that will usually take things into a more interesting conversation than 'can you handle the weather here'.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 10:29 AM   #118
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Rude would be an understatement.
It was an obvious failure to deliver there was a need for comparable, bureaucratic experience. We, civilians , just don't believe there is an accountant on a battle submarine to tell the captain "We can't shoot a torpedo today: we lack the funds to buy a replacement. A missile is out of question, too.". They didn't need a trigger pulling expertise.

And yes, HR is a pointless occupation for the least capable people still needing to make their living somehow. You should just save them from any intricacies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
in this case, there wasn't really a need for government experience. They weren't under GASB, they were under USGAAP, and the position was for external reporting compliance with the SEC of which all my experience is in, including many years as a Big-4 auditor. They were an idiot and just checking a box
Knowing that you should've put it simply differently: "I worked for the President!".
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      11-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #119
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

While the interviewers sound like jerks, most of the Veterans I know would take it as a compliment that their experiences didn't equip them for government (unless you count SERE training ).

Last edited by Maynard; 11-01-2018 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #120
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Proof to parents that she is "trying" to get a job so they continue to keep her up, I would imagine.
that's sad... VERY sad but also unsurprising.

starting college my dad was upfront with me: he said he'd cover up to 8 semesters and the rest would be on me, after graduation he'd only help me out (financially) if i'm starting my own business but wouldn't support me other than that and i think that's a fairly reasonable agreement...
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #121
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren Werke View Post
that's sad... VERY sad but also unsurprising.

starting college my dad was upfront with me: he said he'd cover up to 8 semesters and the rest would be on me, after graduation he'd only help me out (financially) if i'm starting my own business but wouldn't support me other than that and i think that's a fairly reasonable agreement...
That's awesome for you and sounds like your dad has great morals and trying to instill them in you.

I have a very close friend of mine whose parents offered to pay for his entire education...and the rest of his bills as long as he made good grades and was working. We graduated in '95, he only began working a real job last year....and it's running the business his parents built....he also lives rent/lease/mortgage free in the house his parents gave him. He managed to work part time in retail stores while his parents paid for his Lexus, then his Acura, plus his rent, utilities, clothing, etc.

The guy is funny as hell and extremely intelligent as well as educated, but he is also extremely unrelatable. People that have had to work for everything they have hate the guy. We only get along due to his admiration of seeing what I came from and what I have become....also because I turn him on to things that he has no clue about. Money doesn't buy class or morals.
Appreciate 3
      11-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #122
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
While the interviewers sound like jerks, most of the Veterans I know would take it as a compliment that their experiences didn't equip them for government (unless you count SEAR training ).

And for the record, I did go through SERE (not sear) training. It was super fun, lol.
      11-01-2018, 05:44 PM   #123
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post

The guy is funny as hell and extremely intelligent as well as educated, but he is also extremely unrelatable. People that have had to work for everything they have hate the guy. We only get along due to his admiration of seeing what I came from and what I have become....also because I turn him on to things that he has no clue about. Money doesn't buy class or morals.
BS. he only hangs out with you because you're hawt
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #124
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
BS. he only hangs out with you because you're hawt
Weird, he's never shown any signs of being bi. His wife is extremely hot.
Appreciate 0