BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
PshhhhhMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 Alpine White M550i

Travelling to Thailand

Hey everyone!

I'll be in Thailand for a couple of weeks! I would love some tips on must see and do activities! I'll be starting in Bangkok for 6 days, then to Phuket for 5 and finishing my trip in Chiang Mai for the light festival for 3 days.

I'm aware of the lady boy shows. Might actual go see one with the girlfriend. Haha!

TIA!

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #2
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Make sure the girl you meet there doesn't have balls.
nyalpine907419.00
Dang3r12508.50
      11-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
pongkin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

food is awesome and cheap
Appreciate 1
PshhhhhMW554.00
      11-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Make sure you go to the night market in Chiang Mai, the Som Tom (Papaya salad) is the best, but they're not kidding if you ask for it spicy.
Appreciate 1
PshhhhhMW554.00
      11-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
Make sure you go to the night market in Chiang Mai, the Som Tom (Papaya salad) is the best, but they're not kidding if you ask for it spicy.
Yes, I learned the hard way, when visiting the floating markets in Bangkok, not to say "sure, I'll take it Thai-Spicy". Dear God. That burned then and again about 4 hours later.
      11-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #6
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Bang a couple lady boys to really make the trip complete. Maybe a lady boy threesome w/your girl? Yahtzee!
Appreciate 1
PshhhhhMW554.00
      11-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PshhhhhMW View Post
Hey everyone!

I'll be in Thailand for a couple of weeks! I would love some tips on must see and do activities! I'll be starting in Bangkok for 6 days, then to Phuket for 5 and finishing my trip in Chiang Mai for the light festival for 3 days.

I'm aware of the lady boy shows. Might actual go see one with the girlfriend. Haha!

TIA!
spend less time in Bangkok, more time in Phuket.
PshhhhhMW554.00
      11-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #8
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

What ever you do, do not do any graffiti.
Appreciate 1
PshhhhhMW554.00
      11-05-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
What ever you do, do not do any graffiti.
Indeed!

(Source for those who missed it: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKCN1MT0KJ )
Appreciate 2
      11-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #10
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i X-drive

must visit the Floating Market, in Phuket make sure to do any of the island tours(james Bond Island, Phi Phi island), also in Phuket if you are looking to party, drink etc I recommend staying to the west of the island, the east of the island is good too but not much action. Also if you will like to know how they make one of the best sugar cane rum you must visit CHALONG BAY Distillery in Phuket, is cheap, you get to take lots of shot and is a good way to kill a few hours.
      11-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #11
PshhhhhMW
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC535iowner View Post
must visit the Floating Market, in Phuket make sure to do any of the island tours(james Bond Island, Phi Phi island), also in Phuket if you are looking to party, drink etc I recommend staying to the west of the island, the east of the island is good too but not much action. Also if you will like to know how they make one of the best sugar cane rum you must visit CHALONG BAY Distillery in Phuket, is cheap, you get to take lots of shot and is a good way to kill a few hours.
Perfect! I was looking for Phuket ideas most.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #12
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Thailand is fun. Bangkok is a very big international city, you can enjoy pretty good food no matter what you like to eat. Everything from wagyu steak to pasta to any kind of Asian cuisine and it'll be very affordable. But as others have mentioned, besides shopping and eating, there is not much to sightseeing to do in the city.

Once you step out of the major cities, food get even cheaper but the selection of international food will not be as big.
      11-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #13
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 650i (F12)

Thumbs up Enjoy!

We travel around Thailand often - both for work (mostly Bangkok) and fun (Chang Mai, Chang Ria, Phuket, Koh Samui, etc.).

I like the dichotomy of the North vs. South. Spend a week in Chang Mai and then go far South to the islands for a totally different perspective.

Bangkok is Bangkok.... a large international city in Asia. Sure it has its own flair & flavour, but I've been to dozens and dozens hundreds of times. Not interesting for me anymore... If you've never been to a place like that, then go.. .I may be a bit jaded ha.
Appreciate 1
PshhhhhMW554.00
      11-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #14
Ross61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 GTO (soon to be an M4)

Quote:
Perfect! I was looking for Phuket ideas most.
Also look into getting some tailor made shirts/clothes. The first shirt is the most expensive (after that the main cost will be the type of material) so consider getting at least ten made.
Appreciate 1
PshhhhhMW554.00
      11-05-2018, 06:43 PM   #15
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Why so many days in Bangkok? That place is so crowded.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 07:18 PM   #16
PshhhhhMW
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Why so many days in Bangkok? That place is so crowded.
It's just how the schedule worked out as far as finding the most cost effective flights and accommodations. Probably could've stayed a little longer in Chiang Mai now that I'm looking at my itinerary again..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #17
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
It's just how the schedule worked out as far as finding the most cost effective flights and accommodations. Probably could've stayed a little longer in Chiang Mai now that I'm looking at my itinerary again..
Gotcha. If you like big cities you’ll enjoy Bangkok. In Chiang Mai make sure to do the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary tour. No riding because they’re focused on protecting the animals which I was fine with. I got a little elephant souvenirs sitting on my desk at work right now. Haha

The tiger kingdom was cool if you haven’t done it. I’m sure the tigers are drugged though so don’t know how you feel about that. Tons of good places to eat. Be sure to get some Thai massages obviously. Went to an upscale one called Zira where Chow Yun Fat and Aaron Choi (?) went. Good experience.
Appreciate 1
PshhhhhMW554.00
      11-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #18
PshhhhhMW
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Gotcha. If you like big cities you’ll enjoy Bangkok. In Chiang Mai make sure to do the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary tour. No riding because they’re focused on protecting the animals which I was fine with. I got a little elephant souvenirs sitting on my desk at work right now. Haha

The tiger kingdom was cool if you haven’t done it. I’m sure the tigers are drugged though so don’t know how you feel about that. Tons of good places to eat. Be sure to get some Thai massages obviously. Went to an upscale one called Zira where Chow Yun Fat and Aaron Choi (?) went. Good experience.
Nice! Def going to do elephants. The gf refuses to do tigers due to the drugs.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #19
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Sanitation is a total joke. Remember that before you choose to eat anything from an outside market. Sanitation is suspect in more upscale restaurants as well.

I wish you nothing but good luck and when you return to the US the first thing you will do is kiss the first clean toilet you see.
Appreciate 1
PshhhhhMW554.00
      11-05-2018, 09:38 PM   #20
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Thailand is Australia's playground. All the usual tourist scams operate in all the tourist districts. They operate outside the tourist districts if you make silly mistakes.

Here's my list, repeating a few things I'm reminded of above:
  • Bangkok is a big Asian city. After a while if you've seen one of them, you've seen them all. Don't skimp on hotel costs - it's nice to have a comfortable escape (with good aircon) when you need it.
  • Chatuchak Market is one of the biggest markets you'll ever see. If you're in Bangkok on one of the days it's on, it's worth the trip. Unless you're also travelling to Vietnam, it's a great place to refresh your wardrobe for a fraction of the price. If you're short and/or skinny you're going to have a wider range of clothes to choose from.
  • If you want something more upmarket than the Chatuchak markets or want electronics/watches etc. Take a trip to MBK Shopping Center.
  • Have a beer on the rooftop bar at the Banyan Tree Hotel. Stay for dinner if you can afford it (you'll probably need to book ahead). You won't be disappointed.
  • Negotiate with taxi drivers before you get in the cab. You can ask for "meter taxi" ... but then you need to make sure they turn the meter on. No, you do not want to go to a tailor or jewelry shop.
  • Don't drink the water.
  • Take Antibacterial Hand Sanitiser and use it RELIGIOUSLY before you eat. Take doxycycline before you go, when you're there and after you get back. Do these two things and chances are you won't get 'Bangkok belly'.
  • Beer, food and clothes are very cheap. You always wish you'd bought more once you get home.
  • Rice Wine is home-made alcohol. It might be 12% ABV and made from Barley or 60% ABV and made from corn... It's some of the cheapest alcohol you'll ever buy - but don't assume it's "wine", and don't assume it's the same as what you got across the road.
  • Go to Bangla Road the first evening you're in Phuket. Then you can decide if you're going back there every night, or never again.
  • Protect your personal space and don't trust little kids. The fuckers are trying to steal your wallet.
  • Don't pay minibar prices - Buy beers at the nearest 7-11 (or whatever) and take them back to your hotel.
  • Don't insult the king.
  • Don't do drugs.
  • Don't drink alone.

Those last three are serious. Thailand applies a death sentence to people caught with drugs, and it's not unheard of for cops to sell you drugs then bust you for possession. If you want to do drugs, get some good drugs and do them at home. If they're good, you won't need to be in Thailand to have the time of your life. It's not hard to not insult the king. Lastly, reports of people having their drinks spiked and their money (or organs) stolen are largely overblown ... but if you're physically twice the size of everyone around you, visibly drunk, on your own and surrounded by ladyboys - well, you're an easy target aren't you?

Last edited by xQx; 11-05-2018 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
PshhhhhMW554.00
      11-05-2018, 11:25 PM   #21
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

This is one of those threads I'm interested in, so apologies in advance for multiple replies...

If you're bargaining at markets, here's a primer:
  • Food prices are non-negotiable. Goods prices are generally negotiable.
  • In established department stores, prices are non-negotiable; but in 'pop up stores' prices are negotiable, even in big shopping centres.
  • The fake Rolex's aren't on display, but that doesn't mean they're not there.
  • You will be "ripped off". If you haven't been offered an item that you've already bought for less than what you paid, you haven't really been shopping. Don't let it get to you. You earn more than they do, you can afford it.
  • If you find something that you've already got for cheaper; you're default reaction should be to 'average down'. Most stuff doesn't last long, it never hurts to have a second [item] - even if you buy two, it's probably cheaper than one at home.
  • If you want to be a bastard, negotiate a price for quantity of 10, then when you agree on the price, offer to buy one for that price. (note: this really isn't cool, but it is good for price discovery.)
  • Never be afraid to walk away. In fact, even if you want it, you still should walk away.
  • Be nice to the locals. Screw them down on price, then round up and tell them to keep the change. $1 is worth a lot more to them than it is to you. Nobody likes getting ripped off, but that doesn't mean you need to make it hard for the storekeepers to feed their kids.
Appreciate 1
PshhhhhMW554.00
      11-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #22
Ross61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 GTO (soon to be an M4)

One other thing - while sitting on the beach at Phuket; use the kids as intermediators to fetch your beer. If the store price for the local beer is $1 (35 baht), give the kid a 50 baht note.

Your beer will be cold and fast. The kids typically do not rip you of because, if you give him/her 15 baht per beer, they will be happy. (give them 70 baht per beer, then ask where you can get some good food. if the kid is cool, buy for them too - you'll be spending about $20 total for you, your partner, and the kid )

Oh and just hope/pray a US aircraft carrier doesn't arrive when you're there - ALL prices will double for the first day or two.
Appreciate 1
PshhhhhMW554.00