BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-15-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

Pre-LCI vs LCI Handling diffferences?

Hi all,

Going to view an LCI tomorrow with view of putting down the deposit. Please could someone outline the handling differences (or any other relevant changes) of pre-LCI vs LCI?

It seems like decent pre-LCIs with good warranty will start around £53k,the LCIs are starting at £60k. Worth the 10%+ difference?

The CarPlay/upgraded NAV is worth it for me to keep the car current and future proof it. This can be done retrofit of course via Bimmertech but I'd prefer OEM, and the retrofit is £1000 ish and a day driving down to Dorset and back again, so not feasible for me.

Any real world or other handling differences (or is it only at the limit?)?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 02:36 AM   #2
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolarBear View Post
Hi all,

Going to view an LCI tomorrow with view of putting down the deposit. Please could someone outline the handling differences (or any other relevant changes) of pre-LCI vs LCI?

It seems like decent pre-LCIs with good warranty will start around £53k,the LCIs are starting at £60k. Worth the 10%+ difference?

The CarPlay/upgraded NAV is worth it for me to keep the car current and future proof it. This can be done retrofit of course via Bimmertech but I'd prefer OEM, and the retrofit is £1000 ish and a day driving down to Dorset and back again, so not feasible for me.

Any real world or other handling differences (or is it only at the limit?)?

Thanks!
There seems to be some debate about this, but only small differences seems to be the case. The original was pretty good after all! Main difference is in the battery and software tweaks that have 'improved' some of the 'character' of the original. Definitely worth paying a bit more for, £7k? Thats your call, but the price difference will be less than £7k when you come to sell.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 08:03 AM   #3
nolumih
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

The major difference is the battery size which allows full electric +/- 56 km and a CO2 of 42g instead of 46g. Likewise in comfort mode the engine starts at 120 km. Inside there is no visible difference. The screen is tactile and new version of iDrive. New leather color (cognac), new rims and exterior colors and a logo cut on the side. I hope I haven't forgotten anything. Now if it's worth the price difference .....
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
Ranchroundel
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5mc & 2006 M Roadster

There is previous thread where a number of us had pre-lci’s and then bought either 19s or 20s. Other than what nolumith said, lci gets carbon fiber rather than grey plastic, leatherette rather than mouse fur on the headliner and pillars and different seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
Adofred
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW I8 LCI

I have an LCI coupe and never drove the earlier model apart from a quick test drive a few years ago . I too was curious about any suspension differences when purchasing . They are probably minor but if you trawl back through the various BMW press releases when the convertible was released , they talk about suspension tweaks from memory and also about them applying to the LCI versions .
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #6
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchroundel View Post
There is previous thread where a number of us had pre-lci’s and then bought either 19s or 20s. Other than what nolumith said, lci gets carbon fiber rather than grey plastic, leatherette rather than mouse fur on the headliner and pillars and different seats.
Only different seats on the Roadster, Coupe seats remain the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:36 AM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

There are a suite of changes in the suspension and chassis structure that affect handling. The style changes are market country-specific.
Appreciate 0