Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

01-26-2024, 01:31 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Got a question for the weightlifters here

I've been working out with a trainer at a local gym. He's had me doing (among other things) leg presses on an inclined machine. You sit on a seat on an inclined ramp and put your feet against a platform directly in front of you and push. So you're lifting part of your own weight plus whatever weight you have the machine set at. He had me doing 100lbs on the machine (15 reps x 3 sets), which is doable without stressing my muscles too much. I don't have any knee or muscle pain during or after the exercise.

Yesterday he had me do the exercise using just one leg at a time. He said to set the machine at 10lbs. I was like, what? I can do 100lbs with both legs, why not 50lbs with one leg? But he was right, 10lbs using one leg at time was pretty tough.

Why is that? Why is 10lbs using one leg so hard when I can do 100lbs using both legs? Is it because I'm using more of my core muscles when I use both legs?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 05:40 PM   #2
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
How much do you weigh?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 06:58 PM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
How much do you weigh?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
chassis6479.00
      01-26-2024, 07:51 PM   #4
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

You have to use your stabilizing muscles and core more when doing single leg exercises. Over time, it will become much easier and with higher weight. You will develop an improved neuromuscular connection. Everyone is different, so I assume your trainer feels this is a good starting point for you. However, I'd inquire about plans of eventually going to barbell squats - they can be intimidating for some at first or semi-contraindicated if previous back issues, etc. Goblet squats are great, in my opinion.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 1
M_Six16772.50
      01-27-2024, 08:23 AM   #5
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Isometric movements are always harder because you rarely walk, run or jump on one leg.

Any exercise involving 1 leg removes the mental roadmap of stabilizing muscles your body as acquired over its lifetime. Isometric exercises are fantastic for strength and balance by removing the overcompensation that's been created by your dominant side (everyone has a stronger side).

Using a chair or a bench (or purchasing a plyometric platform) is great for balancing our your muscles and building your stabilizing muscles. You can hold a dumbell or kettlebell while simply stepping up.

Using a kettlebell or two kettlebells are great for practicing squats and building your balancing/stabilizing muscles.

This is kind of off topic but useful info for your progression and best part is you can do Bulgarian split squats at home, and I've found Greg really know's his stuff:

https://youtube.com/shorts/talu7p2UZ...eAo3PdcAOaSje2

Highly recommend doing stuff at home in addition to seeing your trainer. You'll want to learn what feels right and what works on your own as well as working with your trainer. So that you learn to trust yourself not just him. That way you don't become too dependent on him and you can always ask questions here of course.

The most important thing is giving this time - spend the next year slowly building up the weight and learning what exercises you feel results from and focus on those. The mind muscle connection you are looking for can take as much as 3 months to begin to begin to crystalize.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
M_Six16772.50
      02-07-2024, 05:53 PM   #6
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
So 335lbs with 2 legs, or 167lbs per leg. 235lbs with one leg. Big difference.
Appreciate 0