Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
i tried it for about 6 months (outside of football season) and didnt like it. There were a few shows that werent on Hulu/Netflix that i watched that i missed, and i felt like anytime i tried to watch Hulu during primetime, it would just buffer forever. Commercials were always coming in clear with no delay though...

Its also just so much easier to turn on the DirectTV box than figure out which app i need to use to watch which show or trying to find a live stream on some random website.
I can understand that. Before I do anything, I'm going to call Comcast & see what the cost will be for just internet. It might not go down enough. Then I'll just threaten to leave to get my rates down like I always do lol
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #24
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

I bought a roku years back

Cut the cable and primarily watch most channels I want inclusiding HBO/AMC/etc over Sling Tv for about 35/mo

I was paying over 100 for basic tv previously....bullshit
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #25
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

The biggest issue is that the TV providers also own the content. If you watch sports you can watch the highlights on YT for free. You can watch an entire NBA game in 10 minutes. It shows every scoring play. They have it for the NFL as well. Probably other professional sports are on there too. If you watch a few channels a la carte works well. If you watch a lot of different networks then it's cheaper to have a cable or satellite subscription. For OTA, just buy a cheap antenna for $10 or so.
      11-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #26
dauble2k5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 VR E92 335i, 6MT

Hulu and Netflix are all you need. Maybe SlingTV if you want sports.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #27
GoHokiesGo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

We tried to drop cable and looked really hard into SlingTV as an alternative. Our problem is that we don't watch shows on all the crap channels they give, we end up watching the shows on HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc. Once you add up the costs for the ala carte channel on Sling, it nearly costs the same as an internet+TV package on Fios.

When we lived overseas we were able to find most of the shows we liked at streaming sites online, but we always had to watch at lower quality SD. It's nice to be able to pop on the TV and go straight to watching a show in HD.

I really have started to like Netflix more and more though, and I could see myself switching in the near future if they include just a few more sports and premium channels with online options.

JP Photography - Travel/Landscape/Automotive Photography
Appreciate 0