Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

01-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #2179
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
I dont lock my shit either. One day it'll bite me on the ass, but haven't had an issue in all the years I've been going.
I hear ya. my gym is in a nicer area so the people that go kinda reflect that. but when I pop open lockers and I see BMW and Mercedes keys just sitting there along with wallets and stuff makes me cringe. I can understand maybe a jacket and stuff buy not things like that
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 01:42 AM   #2180
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Last night I actually found it annoying that I opened almost 10 lockers with people's stuff with no lock. Clearly I saw people's car keys and even their fricken wallet!
I dont lock my shit either. One day it'll bite me on the ass, but haven't had an issue in all the years I've been going.
Don't do this at my gym.

I get pissed the fuck off when that happens. If I open the locker and there's shit in there- I'll take it all out and leave it on the counter and use the locker.

Whatever happens to your stuff is up to the universe.

In other words- get a lock. Because there are people like me who just want to watch the world burn if you cause an inconvenience
      01-25-2019, 01:48 AM   #2181
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Our lockers have a 4 digit code, so if I go into a locker and someone’s stuff is in there, I lock it using a random code. It may piss them off, but the guys on the desk can come and unlock it with the master code.
Appreciate 3
      01-25-2019, 02:50 AM   #2182
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
Our lockers have a 4 digit code, so if I go into a locker and someone's stuff is in there, I lock it using a random code. It may piss them off, but the guys on the desk can come and unlock it with the master code.
Atta boy- I do the same when I'm in Guadalajara and go to my gym out there (sports world) that have those 4 digit codes too.
      01-25-2019, 05:27 AM   #2183
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I hear ya. my gym is in a nicer area so the people that go kinda reflect that. but when I pop open lockers and I see BMW and Mercedes keys just sitting there along with wallets and stuff makes me cringe. I can understand maybe a jacket and stuff buy not things like that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
Don't do this at my gym.

I get pissed the fuck off when that happens. If I open the locker and there's shit in there- I'll take it all out and leave it on the counter and use the locker.

In other words- get a lock. Because there are people like me who just want to watch the world burn if you cause an inconvenience
Damn, maybe I'll get a lock you guys out here making me nervous lmao
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2019, 06:33 AM   #2184
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
Don't do this at my gym.

Damn, maybe I'll get a lock you guys out here making me nervous lmao
Hahahaahah i had my breaking point a few years ago when I experienced what isturbo did- literally looked like an idiot opening and closing lockers (no joke like 8)and something in me snapped and I took ALL of their shit from all the lockers out- clothes, shoes, wallets, keys etc- and threw them on the counter.

Ever since then, if I open one up and there's stuff in there with no lock- I just move the shit out to the closest bench, put my stuff in/lock on- and don't give it a second thought if the stuff is stolen. easy peasy
      01-25-2019, 09:27 AM   #2185
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

so Glad I'm not the only one!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #2186
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Last night I actually found it annoying that I opened almost 10 lockers with people's stuff with no lock. Clearly I saw people's car keys and even their fricken wallet!
This bothers me too. Happens too often imo, especially since the gym i go to is not in the nicest neighbourhood and has a high rate of locker thefts.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #2187
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Sheesh! Had to gather myself today as this chick with a huge badonkadonk was doing ass clappers on the Smith machine...let me explain. With a flat bench she placed it underneath the Smith machine. Set the safety clips about so high and put 25lbs plates on each side. Than she lays down flat on her stomach gets her feet up under the bar than proceeds to press up which I could swear hear her ass clap as she gets to the top! Pretty amazing and distracting at the same time lol!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 05:26 PM   #2188
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Unathletic looking guy w/ all the lifting gear(head band, gloves, belt, etc.) doing deadlifts with just god awful form, to the point where I want to stop him for the sake of not destroying his lower back. His heals were coming off the ground, legs barely bent, couldn't keep the bar parallel to the ground, it was just horrific.

I didn't stop him, just shook my head in disgust. My thought was with all that gear he was wearing he had to be aware of what proper form should look like. I think he was just trying to put on extra weight to avoid girls outlifting him(he was only deadlifting 185lb).

My question; should I have stopped him, or is he getting what he deserves? Most people wouldn't be susceptive to the help anyway so my thought was why should i even bother. Has there ever been a time when you have stopped someone because you were literally concerned for them hurting themselves?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #2189
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Thats a tough one. I have offered help before but feel kind of douchey doing so.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      01-27-2019, 05:55 PM   #2190
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Thats a tough one. I have offered help before but feel kind of douchey doing so.
Agree, that was another reason why I didn't say anything. Not trying to come off as a douche, but that dude was definitely harming himself. Guess he'll learn the hard way, when he can't bear to do pulls anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 06:02 PM   #2191
de Witt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5s & 06 E91 325xiA

Quote:

My question; should I have stopped him, or is he getting what he deserves? Most people wouldn't be susceptive to the help anyway so my thought was why should i even bother. Has there ever been a time when you have stopped someone because you were literally concerned for them hurting themselves?

The only time I have stopped people is when they are going to use broken equipment that is not tagged out. That is it. I dont bother people as I do not want to be bothered. It is still January, the individual you discuss is likely a resolution maker and will probably be out of gym mode in a few weeks, besides I agree that most people will not be receptive to unsolicited assistance.

I constantly see individuals in the gym performing an exercise in a grossly unsafe manner. I do not consider this a matter of just deserts, its not a moral thing, people could get a coach that can assist them in getting technique and experience that will allow them to push themselves within the boundaries of maintaining a safe form.
Appreciate 2
JP102462.00
      01-27-2019, 06:25 PM   #2192
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Imo people don't learn from their mistakes until they actually make that mistake
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      01-28-2019, 01:54 AM   #2193
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
Agree, that was another reason why I didn't say anything. Not trying to come off as a douche, but that dude was definitely harming himself. Guess he'll learn the hard way, when he can't bear to do pulls anymore.
Help him. As someone with an ongoing back problem (nothing to do with the gym), once you have a back problem, it’s very difficult to get rid of. If the guy looks approachable, and you can prevent him damaging himself, then go for it.

I’ve been going to the gym for nearly 25 years, and probably still make silly mistakes, so like to hope that if someone notices I’m doing something wrong, they’d give me a pointer. If it was delivered in a non condescending way, I wouldn’t have a problem at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 07:16 AM   #2194
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

I don't understand why people don't practice lifts to get the movement down with little or no weight, then slowly increase the weight over time.

Hell, you can watch YouTube videos which provide step by step instructions on any lift.
Appreciate 2
JP102462.00
      01-28-2019, 08:19 AM   #2195
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel_Hunden View Post
I don't understand why people don't practice lifts to get the movement down with little or no weight, then slowly increase the weight over time.

Hell, you can watch YouTube videos which provide step by step instructions on any lift.

This.

I find at the gym lots of people starting out feel embarrassed so they just try to lift as much as possible with poor form. For me, I know my limitations with my back problems, so I'd rather look silly lifting what other people would think is light weight but not have trouble moving for a week.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #2196
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

IF I corrected every person I saw at the gym with locked knees while swinging bars/dumbbells with their upper body, I'd never get a workout in.

I did correct 3 pups once. They seemed receptive, but I never saw them again.

ONE advantage to being old: nobody gives me shit for using the 20lb dumbbells.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #2197
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel_Hunden View Post

One word: EGO.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 02:17 PM   #2198
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Unathletic looking guy w/ all the lifting gear(head band, gloves, belt, etc.) doing deadlifts with just god awful form, to the point where I want to stop him for the sake of not destroying his lower back. His heals were coming off the ground, legs barely bent, couldn't keep the bar parallel to the ground, it was just horrific.

I didn't stop him, just shook my head in disgust. My thought was with all that gear he was wearing he had to be aware of what proper form should look like. I think he was just trying to put on extra weight to avoid girls outlifting him(he was only deadlifting 185lb).

I stop and say something every time. I would feel bad if they got hurt and I didn't because they obviously don't know. Whether it is just being uneducated or taking advice from a bro science friend... I feel at least saying something.

Then again, I think Iowa is a bit different than where all you jagoffs live based on the things that annoy you and what you do in response.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      01-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #2199
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
IF I corrected every person I saw at the gym with locked knees while swinging bars/dumbbells with their upper body, I'd never get a workout in.

I did correct 3 pups once. They seemed receptive, but I never saw them again.

ONE advantage to being old: nobody gives me shit for using the 20lb dumbbells.
I worked out with my gf a while ago (she rarely ever does weights, more into cardio stuff). We did back and bi's. To finish off for the night, I gave her 7.5's and I grabbed 20's

She hit me with the whole "isn't this too light for us?"

She was definitely dying after the first set lol

I left my ego at home years ago. As long as I feel it, my form is good, and I know I'm making progress, I don't care how "light" the weights may be
Appreciate 4
de Witt18.00
JP102462.00
      01-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #2200
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
I left my ego at home years ago. As long as I feel it, my form is good, and I know I'm making progress, I don't care how "light" the weights may be
Doesn't apply to weights, but if I learn nothing else from yoga, I'm glad I learned that.
Appreciate 0