11-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

amp leads question

my DJ amp (Peavey 1.2k rig)
states it has a Quasi Balanced input (looks like a 1/4" jack.
my mixer has a balanced XLR output.
The length is no more than 10 feet

Do I need a balanced or UN-balanced cable, my existing one is XLR to standard 1/4" jack so I guess it's un-balanced

I understand that balanced cables are more important for mic or guitar leads, or long runs

any thoughts ?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

If one side is balanced and the other side is unbalanced, the signal transfer is unbalanced.

But I think with quasi balanced they mean a floating unbalanced line which is a way for the balanced side to see balanced impedance.
To profit most from this setup I think you need a cable with on one side an xlr and on the other side a TRS jack (so a jack with tip, ring and sleeve, like a stereo jack).

It needs to be wired in the above example of the picture below. so it needs to be a cable with 2 cores and a screen.

The below example is an unbalanced signal transfer, where both the earth and signalground go through the screen and only 1 core is used.

The difference with real balance is that on a real balanced transfer both the hot signal and the ground signal are floating, thus external interference has as much an effect on ground and signal (cancelling eachother out). That doesnt happen with quasi balance as on the quasi balanced side (the unbalanced side) the signalprocessing is in such way that ground signal is grounded to earth again, albeit trough a resistor.But the quasi balanced transfer might reduce ground loops. Its all pretty complicated.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 11-01-2016 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
jaye9441012.00
      11-04-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

thanks man, thats what I ended up getting xlr to 1/4 TRS

and txs for the explanation that made sense
Appreciate 0