BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #23
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
I can see that point of view, but when you get outside of their comfort zone that'll happen. In self defense and firearm training we called that getting inside the OODA loop.

My other observation is for wait staff. Say my bill is $13.50 and I provide a $20. Often I will get a the change, a one and a five back. That person isn't thinking. I am not tipping 25% and leaving a 5, and $1.50 isn't really enough. A smart server will return the change and six 1's, allowing me to tip appropriately.
Precisely why the waitress at the strip club gives you your $90 change back in $1s.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
cmyx6go15561.50
      02-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #24
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
My employees loved and hated me but they're ability to do their job without computers was a direct reflection of me and my business. I refused to settle for anything less than satisfied customers and competent employees.

I did have an employee screw up to the tune of $1k cash on a deposit once. I made her drive 30 miles from her home to my office, on her day off, on her birthday to fire her.

Like a boss.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      02-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #25
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Like a boss.
I gave her the day off due to it being her birthday as I did with all my reps. I would work in their position on those days and pay them whatever commission I made. I was hell on wheels as a sales rep so they were always excited about me doing their job and them getting paid.

I went above and beyond to be good to my people, but at the same time I was an equal demon in the event that they screwed up. I tried to manage by the spirit of creating quality employees by positivity, empowerment and delegation. I tried to create the environment to where my employees wanted to do a good job rather than feeling pressured to.
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go15561.50
      02-19-2019, 09:30 AM   #26
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I'm in Starbucks this morning and the man in front of me orders his coffee. He pulls out a $10 bill and then 3 quarters after the cashier already entered $10 as amount tendered. Doe in headlights! I can see the panic on her face. She is trying to count on her fingers, which seems to confuse her even more. Her hand is in the change drawer picking up coins, then thinking twice and putting them back. I think she is about to hyperventilate. The man eventually tells her 14 cents. She takes a deep breath and says thank you, I can't do math in my head. She then shorted him $1.00 because she still can't grasp the change part and has to call the manager to open the register. Really? Don't they teach simple math in freakin 1st or 2nd grade.

Unfortunately, I have seen this many times. It seems to be the norm with the younger generation. And this is the future of our country.

Pretty sad and scary at the same time.

Bets on how many posts until this goes political?
🙄. The education level of people in this country is scary. Back when I used to use cash, this would happen to me too. I had to restrain myself from saying "If you are old enough to have this job then you are old enough to be able to make change." :
Run Silent15127.00
cmyx6go15561.50
      02-19-2019, 09:30 AM   #27
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
My other observation is for wait staff. Say my bill is $13.50 and I provide a $20. Often I will get a the change, a one and a five back. That person isn't thinking. I am not tipping 25% and leaving a 5, and $1.50 isn't really enough. A smart server will return the change and six 1's, allowing me to tip appropriately.
This. Drives me nuts when this happens. And you're right, they're only hurting themselves. I usually use my cc for meals, but one restaurant we go to is cash only, so I've gone through this numerous times with them.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
cmyx6go15561.50
      02-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #28
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Not surprised.

It's a combination of things:

-bad parenting
-schools teaching useless information instead of life skills
-kids unable to think for themselves without checking their phone/social media

I'm in school systems every day for my job. Ask any kid from 2nd grade to college what they think about a certain issue/problem and they echo what they hear on social media or the news. Ask them what their own opinion is and why and they look at you with a blank stare.
When I was young, my father used to drill us on the multiplication tables at dinner. I have 3 siblings. He would pick one of us each night and then pick a number. What ever it was, you had to recite the table rapid fire to the beat of his hand on the table. 7, 14, 21, 28, 35, 42, 49, 56, 63, 70, 77, 84.
Talk about pressure at 7 years old.
😂My mom was an elementary school teacher. My experience was similar to yours and grades less than a B+ was met with a "What is wrong with you" attitude. I guess that is why we are successful and some others are not.....
King Rudi13152.00
cmyx6go15561.50
      02-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #29
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I defense of cashiers who become lost when you change your initial amount of payment, maybe the machines these days keep close track of cash-in/cash-out? If a report tells a manager later that there should be three $20 bills in the till and there are only two, does it cause a fuss? I don't know for sure because I'm not and never have been a cashier, but just a thought that maybe the payment amount means something to them beyond calculating change.

Or not.
No, if that was the case they would immediately call a manager for an override or something. This is pure panic. I've seen it so many times.

How do you get through life not knowing how to subtract? I guess these days when almost no one uses cash there isn't a need for basic mathematical skills? The kids at work laugh at me if they come in my office and I have my checkbook open. Yes, I write in everything and make sure I balance. They don't add deposits or deduct ATMs or payments. How do you know you have what you're supposed to. I guess if the bank says you have $X, that's what you have?
Precisely and I am the exact same way.
cmyx6go15561.50
      02-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #30
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I can see that point of view, but when you get outside of their comfort zone that'll happen. In self defense and firearm training we called that getting inside the OODA loop.

Anytime that the waiting staff does this, they get the smaller amount for not being a forward thinker. They eventually learn and earn or not, up to them.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #31
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:

LOL.

I actually see the opposite, where they bring me 1's more often than not.

Sometimes I'm not sure how to take it. I can either, think to myself "thanks for giving me 1's so I can tip you properly w/o having to get up and go to the cashier and ask for them for change" OR "Hey you SOB you better tip me more than $1.50."
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #32
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
When I was a retail manager, day one of training was how to count back change.

Step 1. DO NOT put the money (in the event that the customer pays cash) in the slots in the cash till! It goes on top of the drawer so the customer does not have the ability to say "I gave you X amount"...
I use to work in a pizza shop and I cannot tell you how many times people would try to pull this scam!

If someone forgot to do that. We solved it by..."Give me your name and phone number and when we close out tonight, we will call you if we are over", which of course was followed by a lot of yelling, cursing and screaming in an attempt to intimidate us.

It's a sad world when I have to teach my children to watch out for this scam when they sell Boy Scout Popcorn or Girl Scout cookies.

Even worse is when the scam is reversed on the customer. I could have sworn one day that I gave a toll booth attendant a $10 instead of a $5 but did not look at the change until I had pulled out.

Last edited by omasou; 02-19-2019 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      02-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #33
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
I use to work in a pizza shop and I cannot tell you how many times people would try to pull this scam!
It happened to me once as a young lad......ONCE. I had to pay the difference out of my own pocket.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #34
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
This. Drives me nuts when this happens. And you're right, they're only hurting themselves. I usually use my cc for meals, but one restaurant we go to is cash only, so I've gone through this numerous times with them.
Spot on, and on a side note. There are a few restaurants in Toronto that now only accept digital payment. NO CASH. I have an issue with that but what I'll say on point is that this is going farther down the hole where folks aren't required to think.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      02-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #35
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

My man, no disrespect here but your age is showing. I agree that some have drive and some do not but there is no need for you take offense here as none of it is directed at you solely. We as the older generation have been around long enough to read people, mannerisms and reactions to know lack of understanding when we see it.

Would not the laziness that you have encountered at your place of employment be based on specific individuals as well and not just the "older generation?" Such as you describe above. Not all older people are lazy. Taking positions of older people is nothing to brag about it, it happens, it's science we've all done it. If it didn't happen, people in their 80's would still be doing the same jobs and the younger generation would all hold entry level positions.

A bit of advice. Don't make assumptions that you can trash anyone, especially the majority of us, with math or anything else for that matter. There is a big difference between being cocky and confident. Hint: confidence is the quieter of the two. A confident person doesn't have to explain his worth, it's evident.

Also, making the post that you did, actually shows that this alleged mentality of the younger generation being lazy struck a nerve with you thus displaying insecurities on a subconscious level otherwise you wouldn't have posted at all.

Not being a dick here, just offering some advice.
Point taken, I wasn't necessarily trying to hide my age, I'm not ashamed of my age nor do I care if I act a little hot headed(not trying to come off as a dick either). You're right I took somewhat of an offense. You're also right that I probably shouldn't have as there are always exceptions to each generation. The younger generations really get hammered by the older, I guess I feel bad for my current generation, thus my effort in trying to defend it. The ties to technology have been detrimental to the social development of the younger generation. I think they can do the math, but forms of anxiety hold them back.

My comment regarding my ability to trash the majority here in math was also an effort to try to defend the current generations. I wasn't necessarily attempting to brag for my own ability. I believe that the younger generation has far more means to progress then the older generation in math/science/etc based on how education has developed over the years. Technology has its benefits to those who know how to use it properly. Advanced classes are more readily available then they were in the past. They have much more capability at their finger tips.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      02-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #36
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Spot on, and on a side note. There are a few restaurants in Toronto that now only accept digital payment. NO CASH. I have an issue with that but what I'll say on point is that this is going farther down the hole where folks aren't required to think.
So true. Now, instead of having to calculate the tip % in your head, write it out on the receipt, and add it to the total (soooooo much math) you just punch the button on the tablet at the counter.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #37
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
The younger generations really get hammered by the older, I guess I feel bad for my current generation, thus my effort in trying to defend it.
That's the cycle of life. I'm Gen X and we were constantly found to be lazy, worthless, dreamers, by the older generation. Now the torch of bitterness has been passed as we look down on you little punks in judgement, secretly envious of your mastery of technology.
Appreciate 3
JP102462.00
King Rudi13152.00
      02-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #38
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
That's the cycle of life. I'm Gen X and we were constantly found to be lazy, worthless, dreamers, by the older generation. Now the torch of bitterness has been passed as we look down on you little punks in judgement, secretly envious of your mastery of technology.
Every generation feels the same and does the same.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      02-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #39
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Point taken, I wasn't necessarily trying to hide my age, I'm not ashamed of my age nor do I care if I act a little hot headed(not trying to come off as a dick either). You're right I took somewhat of an offense. You're also right that I probably shouldn't have as there are always exceptions to each generation. The younger generations really get hammered by the older, I guess I feel bad for my current generation, thus my effort in trying to defend it. The ties to technology have been detrimental to the social development of the younger generation. I think they can do the math, but forms of anxiety hold them back.

My comment regarding my ability to trash the majority here in math was also an effort to try to defend the current generations. I wasn't necessarily attempting to brag for my own ability. I believe that the younger generation has far more means to progress then the older generation in math/science/etc based on how education has developed over the years. Technology has its benefits to those who know how to use it properly. Advanced classes are more readily available then they were in the past. They have much more capability at their finger tips.
Yeah man, the younger generation will always catch flack by the older generation. I find myself saying the same things my father did when I was younger. "In my day" type stuff....kind of embarrassing really. You're exactly right on the technology and the education system. It's available for those that seek it. To be honest in my position now, I find myself researching information to gain a better understanding before I open my mouth talking to contractors to complete jobs so that I know what I'm talking about. At the same time, there is nothing wrong with admitting that you don't know something and allowing someone more knowledgeable to give some insight. It's those who act like they know and don't that tend to cause issues.

Quote:
This.....i.e. snapchat
Appreciate 3
JP102462.00
DETRoadster11446.00
      02-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #40
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post
No child left behind.
Diversity and inclusion
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #41
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Understandable..cashiers are just zombies.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #42
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Speak for yourself, geezer. Not only can I count change (never had that job) but I can connect water supply lines, paint walls, AND program all the clocks in the house to be the same time.

This past weekend i was passenger in my niece's car (because they came to house, not because I needed a driver) and I noticed the TPMS warning was STILL on on the dash. While wife/niece ran in to get coupons from CVS, I broke out the pristine owner's manual, found the link of page 478, and fixed it for them using the computer interface.
Appreciate 5
2000cs3445.50
DETRoadster11446.00
King Rudi13152.00
cmyx6go15561.50
      02-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #43
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

When I was a kid we learned long math, column addition and subtraction. It was a necessary skill at the store because the registers didn’t compute change back in the day, and the cashiers didn’t always get it right. I remember my mom going over the register tape when she got home, matching each item from the grocery and re-totaling the slip - and going back in when she found an error!

People from her generation could look at a column of numbers (3+ digits each) and tell you at a glance if the total is correct. I can’t do that (although I try). But I can do change in my head faster than the clerk can take my payment and key it into the register.

Now with electronic registers, that is no longer needed. Mistakes are rare, and not a math problem but a “data entry” problem if there is an error.

The old skills are cool, but really that’s about it. Tech is definitely better, if less satisfying, in the same way that a Seiko keeps great time but lacks the what, romance?, of a hand made watch.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15561.50
      02-19-2019, 11:59 AM   #44
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Speak for yourself, geezer. Not only can I count change (never had that job) but I can connect water supply lines, paint walls, AND program all the clocks in the house to be the same time.

This past weekend i was passenger in my niece's car (because they came to house, not because I needed a driver) and I noticed the TPMS warning was STILL on on the dash. While wife/niece ran in to get coupons from CVS, I broke out the pristine owner's manual, found the link of page 478, and fixed it for them using the computer interface.
Wait, arent you supposed to just cover up those annoying dash lights with a sticker?

It's not that I'm technologically inept, I just dont find enjoyment in dealing with it. I can fiddle with something mechanical or electrical for days but my tolerance for mindless sifting through on screen menus and settings is virtually zero. I'm totally behind the times because the "old" ways still work fine for me. I watch people fumble with tier phones and try to make Apple Pay work; I just slap down a $20 and go.

I thought it was funny a few weeks ago when I had some garage time to tinker with my bikes. I added some Hp to both the Guzzi and the boardtracker by increasing fueling. Same result, accomplished in two totally different ways. I got no pleasure from the process of upping Hp on the Guzzi by loading a new fuel map. Yanking the carb off the boardtracker, spilling fuel all over the shop, ripping it apart on the bench, cursing as I lost a tiny jet on the floor, stripping a bolt and having to drill it out and chase the threads... Now THAT'S a great Saturday.

Appreciate 1
2000cs3445.50