BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Question Smart Garage Door Opener - Recommendation

Okay... For those of you who have "shopped, reviewed, and installed" one of these, which do you recommend?
I mainly want it for:
Phone and Voice opening and closing.
Alert/push notification if left open.
Google compatible.
      09-01-2020, 06:57 PM   #2
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I have chamberlain Q and I'm happy with it and they are quite popular. I've had it a few years and no hiccups
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13800.00
GenXer1363.00
      09-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
I have chamberlain Q and I'm happy with it and they are quite popular. I've had it a few years and no hiccups
Thanks! Does it provide voice commands with Google? Phone app pretty fluid and reliable?
      09-01-2020, 08:39 PM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I have the Chamberlain MyQ also. I don't recall if it has voice command capability. The app works great though. You can send notifications to your email and phone when the door opens or closes. The newer model has the ability to monitor the battery life of the door sensor. It also has scheduling capabilities with closing the door. So you can set the time for the system to automatically close the door if it's left open by accident. Prevents you from having the garage door open all night.

I have the newer system at my primary home and moved the older one to my vacation home. The single app controls both. I've been running the older system for about 3 to 4 years now. No issues. I just got the newer one a bout a year ago. The newer one is paired with a Genie garage door opener and the older one is paired to a Liftmaster opener.

The only thing you might find annoying is when you close the door through the system, it would sound an annoying beep beep for a few seconds as the strobe light in the unit flashes. It's a safety thing to ensure anyone around knows the door is about to close.

I seem to recall there is some integration with I think Nest or Ring security cameras.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #5
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Quote:
Thanks! Does it provide voice commands with Google? Phone app pretty fluid and reliable?
Quote:
Quote:
Not sure about voice commands. I use Apple iPhone and I can open and close it and it sends an alert when it opens and closes. Not much more you can ask for.

For whatever reason they do t have many competitors: Genie and not sure who else
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #6
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
I use OpenGarage. I also have Home Assistant which allows for arbitrary rules and customizations around this including all of your asks.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 09:14 PM   #7
21F90M5C
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021-M5C LCI

Some folks also attach cameras on their garage openers to check who’s coming and going
I have the MyQ and love it. Doesn’t have voice control that I know off but you can use your smartphone to control it.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #8
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Another happy MyQ operator here. I have integrated it into my home alarm app as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 10:06 PM   #9
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys! This is one of those things I've wanted but keep forgetting. I'm going to order one this week.
How is the "installation process"?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 10:10 PM   #10
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

i'm using the liftmaster 8500W. Love it and easy install.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 10:30 PM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys! This is one of those things I've wanted but keep forgetting. I'm going to order one this week.
How is the "installation process"?
Extremely easy. You load the app on your phone. It'll walk you through the installation process. It'll all be done via the app and at some point it'll tell you to hit the Learn button on the garage door opener to pair up the MyQ to it.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:22 PM   #12
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

I've had the MyQ system for the past 7 years, however I don't recommend it. At least not if you are using a retrofit setup for older openers that don't have it built in. The MyQ retrofit wall switches go bad after 4-7 years. When they do, they cause the garage door to randomly open. It happened to me twice when each of the two wall switches went bad. The second wall switch went bad just last week in the middle of the night. I thought someone broke into my garage until I realized the issue.

I believe there is a capacitor that stops charging after a while and when it does it activates the opener switch. Terrible design fault and a huge security issue.

I'm not sure if this issue exists with newer openers that have MyQ built in.

I have a Zwave automation system at home and was looking at a zwave garage controller but those seem to have issues as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:49 PM   #13
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
i'm using the liftmaster 8500W. Love it and easy install.
Agree. I have a Liftmaster 5365W and it is great. I also use MyQ on my phone with it.

https://www.liftmaster.com/garage-do...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org

Last edited by SakhirM4; 09-02-2020 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:55 PM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QM View Post
I've had the MyQ system for the past 7 years, however I don't recommend it. At least not if you are using a retrofit setup for older openers that don't have it built in. The MyQ retrofit wall switches go bad after 4-7 years. When they do, they cause the garage door to randomly open. It happened to me twice when each of the two wall switches went bad. The second wall switch went bad just last week in the middle of the night. I thought someone broke into my garage until I realized the issue.

I believe there is a capacitor that stops charging after a while and when it does it activates the opener switch. Terrible design fault and a huge security issue.

I have a Zwave automation system at home and was looking at a zwave garage controller but those seem to have issues as well.
What switch are you talking about? Neither of my openers have MyQ built in and there is no switch. Just the base unit and the door sensor to tell the base unit if the garage door is down or up. If the door sensor goes bad, it won't trigger the base unit to open the garage door.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 12:21 AM   #15
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

I also have a Liftmaster that the Builder installed on the home we built 2.5yrs ago. Don't know the exact model. But it's fast and durable.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 02:27 AM   #16
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I have the genie belt drive with the battery back up and smart WiFi control. Ordered at Costco for price and warranty. The whole
Operation is now silent. Bedroom over garage cannot hear it open any longer. At the same time I changed the rollers, safety cables and springs. Huge upgrade.

It’s a 2 person job Or a pita one person. You will need a little giant to prop the track on if working alone. Truth I hired a garage Co to do it after underestimating the ease of install. Best $ 150 (per door install )I ever spent. He installed all of the above and an external key pad.

Last edited by jsf721; 09-02-2020 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 02:47 AM   #17
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Novoferm here. Delta Door.

If you already have an electric garage door with RFID fob, a cheaper option is to buy a wi-fi signal box / RFID reader. You basically program your lock/unlock RFID signals into the box. Then use an app off your phone to lock/unlock/monitor status of your garage door.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 07:47 AM   #18
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
What switch are you talking about? Neither of my openers have MyQ built in and there is no switch. Just the base unit and the door sensor to tell the base unit if the garage door is down or up. If the door sensor goes bad, it won't trigger the base unit to open the garage door.
Same here. No external switches. My GD opener is Genie. The MyQ works by acting as another remote.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 07:54 AM   #19
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Mine has a button your push and it opens that seems smart?
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7558.50
      09-02-2020, 07:58 AM   #20
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

My butler operates the doors. He's alright.
Appreciate 2
Kilabyte3948.00
upstatedoc7558.50
      09-02-2020, 08:42 AM   #21
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. I'm taking about a wall button that opens the garage door from inside. Part number Liftmaster 888LM. https://www.liftmaster.com/888lm-myq...ntrol/p/G888LM

There is a wire from this wall button to the opener. The MyQ wall button communicates with the liftmaster gateway that connects to the router. That's how the retrofit MyQ system operates.
Anyway, just read the reviews in the above link and you'll see that this is a common problem. Yes the system works very well for a number of years until the wall switch/button goes bad. Then you'll find your garage door open by itself at random times. The first one went bad after 4 years in the winter and left the door open. Luckily we were home and no pipes burst since I just used a car remote to close the door. The second went bad last week (7 years) during the night. I get alerts when the door is opened. Was not a fun thing to investigate in the middle of the night. Don't know if this issue is limited to retrofit MyQ systems only. Just be warned if you have an older opener and want to go that route.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #22
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. I'm taking about a walk button that opens the garage door from inside. Part number Liftmaster 888LM. https://www.liftmaster.com/888lm-myq...ntrol/p/G888LM

There is a wire from this wall button to the opener. The MyQ wall button communicates with the liftmaster gateway that connects to the router. That's how the retrofit MyQ system operates.
Anyway, just read the reviews in the above link and you'll see that this is a common problem. Yes the system works very well for a number of years until the wall switch/button goes bad. Then you'll find your garage door open by itself at random times. The first one went bad after 4 years in the winter and left the door open. Luckily we were home and no pipes burst since I just used a car remote to close the door. The second went bad last week (7 years) during the night. I get alerts when the door is opened. Was not a fun thing to investigate in the middle of the night. Don't know if this issue is limited to retrofit MyQ systems only. Just be warned if you have an older opener and want to go that route.
I guess it's a different implementation of MyQ. When you say retrofit, I think my situation would qualify as a retrofit as neither of my openers have Smart capability and neither can have a direct upgrade installed. This is the kit I installed for both of my garage door openers:

And it's been working flawlessly for years in the case of the older version of it.
Appreciate 1
GenXer1363.00