Twt633.00
      03-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #596
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I love cleaning the barrels of my wheels, it's just such a PITA because of the stock brake pads. Need to get something different for sure, and for certain before I get my Ferric Grey 437's.
Looking good! What do you clean them with? All my other cars I just drove through the car wash so building my supplies.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 07:28 PM   #597
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Looking good! What do you clean them with? All my other cars I just drove through the car wash so building my supplies.
Honestly, I've never been much on hardcore cleaning products, and since my car is never really dirty, I don't need them. I live less than a mile from the car wash, so once I manually wash it and drive home, there is usually the perfect amount of water on it to just wipe it off.

When it comes to the wheels specifically, it's just standard soap/water. But again, they never really get dirty. None of my cars do because I'm a photographer, so I keep them all super clean all the time, ready for the next shoot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/visualechos/
Appreciate 3
M_Six16536.50
rebekahb3128.50
      03-28-2020, 08:17 PM   #598
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Two rides on the trainer today for 28 miles and 2 neighborhood walks for 2 miles. Burning some calories, eating better, losing weight. Doing a lot of work. Although, today was the first day in two weeks I didn't log a single hour of work.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      03-28-2020, 08:19 PM   #599
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Honestly, I've never been much on hardcore cleaning products, and since my car is never really dirty, I don't need them. I live less than a mile from the car wash, so once I manually wash it and drive home, there is usually the perfect amount of water on it to just wipe it off.

When it comes to the wheels specifically, it's just standard soap/water. But again, they never really get dirty. None of my cars do because I'm a photographer, so I keep them all super clean all the time, ready for the next shoot.

Some nice work there.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      03-28-2020, 08:55 PM   #600
DieselOG
Spaceship Man Bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: DIEsel

Bout sums up my week
      03-28-2020, 09:17 PM   #601
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post

WOW!!!! Those are some amazing pictures! Great work!

I would be so embarrassed to even show mine. It's covered in pollen. I wash it and the next day covered. I'm calling a guy on Monday to detail mine because I just don't have the patience and I've had it about 3 months and need a good wax.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      03-28-2020, 09:25 PM   #602
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
I saw this idea on Twitter and I'm in the middle of it now.

My brothers and I all live in different states and sides of the US. We all queued up the same movie on Netflix and pressed play at the same time. We use what's app to group chat and we've been cracking jokes, talkin shit, and just enjoying the movie together.

I might try to keep this going even after the quarantine ends...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
this might just be the alcohol talking, but I love you man...
Appreciate 5
rebekahb3128.50
Rmtt8206.00
wdb4673.00
King Rudi13152.00
      03-28-2020, 09:27 PM   #603
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I've been passing the time today cursing myself for not listening to Turkish Pickle regarding my new WFH computer purchase.

My new 8-core i9 WFH goodness is now at the local UPS terminal, and will be delivered on Monday. Planning ahead, I started reading Apple's Mac-to-Mac migration instructions. Requirement #1 was that both systems needed to be on the same exact version of MacOS or bad things will happen. So, I had to kiss those few 32-bit apps that I can't find 64-bit updates to goodbye, and do the dreaded MacOS Catalina upgrade that I've been dreading for months.

Long story short, nobody mentioned that Apple finally killed off Steve Jobs' beloved Dashboard screen and all of its widgets in Catalina! I use those widgets almost every hour at work, as my stock market viewer, calculator, calendar overview, units converter, and even my quick weather app. Apple has been forcing everyone to their less-useful Notification bar (cloned from iPhone), and of course most of the useful Dashboard widgets do not have native Notification bar equivalents. I spent most of the day scrounging the App Store and web for suitable replacements, and think that I can get by now. Did you know that 1.000 feet/second acceleration is equal to 30.48 Galileos? I can sleep again.

My next discovery was that Catalina has a few undocumented changes in the Automator app syntax. Many moons ago, I wrote an Automator app that runs as a MacOS service. It takes highlighted info from text-based network security logs, and looks up the source network and other useful stuff. Guess what didn't work on Catalina? Four more hours to figure out that they changed the syntax without telling anyone or even throwing a warning error. I'm making notes and collecting up all of these changes to back-port to my office iMac locked down at work, since I'll have to do it all over whenever we are allowed back to the salt mines.

On the bright side, I discovered that Airplay can use my wall-mounted TV as a second monitor through the Apple TV. Never realized how much I used two monitors at work until one of them is gone.

I feel like a drug addict with withdrawal pains right now, pointlessly triple-swiping to the right on my trackpad and not finding my Dashboard fix there any more.....
      03-28-2020, 10:10 PM   #604
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
That's multitasking like a mo-fo!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Lol......you just made me laugh so hard that I'm crying right now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Thank you local idiot.

😂 jk was it at an intersection right turn? Or parking lot?
No it was on a straight road, a bit destroyed/alligator cracked pavement, i wasn't even speeding to catch the green I thought it'd be cool to get air, didn't really account for the car being front heavy with 6-7 year old tires in the back on a rainy day or me not being as smart as I thought I was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
What I want to know is, what did you wipe with? Are you hoarding?
I ran out before all hell broke loose, so I bought a fresh 8 pack first week of March. Today was the first time since March 11/12 I saw paper products on shelves; the only available TP was scott's and there was like 4-5 packs, but finally was able to get a new roll of kitchen roll. Walmart limited purchases to 1 per person though so I only have 1.5 total kitchen rolls
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      03-28-2020, 10:16 PM   #605
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I've been passing the time today cursing myself for not listening to Turkish Pickle regarding my new WFH computer purchase.

My new 8-core i9 WFH goodness is now at the local UPS terminal, and will be delivered on Monday. Planning ahead, I started reading Apple's Mac-to-Mac migration instructions. Requirement #1 was that both systems needed to be on the same exact version of MacOS or bad things will happen. So, I had to kiss those few 32-bit apps that I can't find 64-bit updates to goodbye, and do the dreaded MacOS Catalina upgrade that I've been dreading for months.

Long story short, nobody mentioned that Apple finally killed off Steve Jobs' beloved Dashboard screen and all of its widgets in Catalina! I use those widgets almost every hour at work, as my stock market viewer, calculator, calendar overview, units converter, and even my quick weather app. Apple has been forcing everyone to their less-useful Notification bar (cloned from iPhone), and of course most of the useful Dashboard widgets do not have native Notification bar equivalents. I spent most of the day scrounging the App Store and web for suitable replacements, and think that I can get by now. Did you know that 1.000 feet/second acceleration is equal to 30.48 Galileos? I can sleep again.

My next discovery was that Catalina has a few undocumented changes in the Automator app syntax. Many moons ago, I wrote an Automator app that runs as a MacOS service. It takes highlighted info from text-based network security logs, and looks up the source network and other useful stuff. Guess what didn't work on Catalina? Four more hours to figure out that they changed the syntax without telling anyone or even throwing a warning error. I'm making notes and collecting up all of these changes to back-port to my office iMac locked down at work, since I'll have to do it all over whenever we are allowed back to the salt mines.

On the bright side, I discovered that Airplay can use my wall-mounted TV as a second monitor through the Apple TV. Never realized how much I used two monitors at work until one of them is gone.

I feel like a drug addict with withdrawal pains right now, pointlessly triple-swiping to the right on my trackpad and not finding my Dashboard fix there any more.....
Don't mind me asking but what do you do that are 32-bit only and can't be replaced? I think since 10.7 days they didn't support 32 bit, only 64 bits since then (which would put it into 2012-2013 territory. you haven't been upgrading since?)

For me back in the day Dashboard was always terribly laggy, though I used the notes there a lot. I've moved to Google Keep though so I can access it from my phones, too. I've also never even opened Automator so clearly your pain points are much different than mine...

Oh one more thing to add, the Touchbar. Holy shit why can't we just keep it disabled till we double tap it or something; I lock my screen when I'm getting up so I added that to the bar. Whenever I'm typing (almost every time) I either lock the screen, unmute/mute my sound, etc it's getting really annoying and the most I can do in terms of customizing it is move around what goes where.

I discovered this last night myself - if you have a suitable iPad, sidecar is pretty useful as a smaller second screen! I have dual screens on my work desktop and personal desktop, definitely with you on that.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 05:36 AM   #606
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

I decided to build a new i9 computer also. New Gigabyte mother board.
Got my Noctua CPU cooler yesterday, & that should be it!

Murf
Appreciate 2
      03-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #607
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Don't mind me asking but what do you do that are 32-bit only and can't be replaced? I think since 10.7 days they didn't support 32 bit, only 64 bits since then (which would put it into 2012-2013 territory. you haven't been upgrading since?)
Apple changed OS-X to 64-bit back then, but it supported both 32-bit and 64-bit apps. Catalina dropped the 32-bit app support. This MBP is a late 2017 model, and was current on the latest Mojave 10.14.6 before yesterday's Catalina 10.15.4 update.

Among my side hobbies are weather stations, designing 3D printers, Arduino projects, and amateur radio. Finding MacOS apps to program an eclectic collection of radios and controllers is difficult enough, and most of the ones out there are not maintained. Even my Amcrest NVR's MacOS security camera viewer app hasn't been updated to 64-bit, and they are still selling them. Add onto that the hardware piracy in China, where most of these devices were manufactured with knock-off USB-to-serial chips. The chip manufacturer provided new anti-piracy serial drivers to Microsoft and Apple that won't even connect to the knock-off chips, so the only way to program the devices that I have is to install older versions of these drivers...which happen to be 32-bit.

It takes a hundred times longer to collect and configure the software tool chain to program a new device than it actually takes to do the programming.

Quote:
Oh one more thing to add, the Touchbar. Holy shit why can't we just keep it disabled till we double tap it or something; I lock my screen when I'm getting up so I added that to the bar. Whenever I'm typing (almost every time) I either lock the screen, unmute/mute my sound, etc it's getting really annoying and the most I can do in terms of customizing it is move around what goes where.
Been there and done that already with this 13" MBP. The default bar had a browser back button on the right side, and I can't tell you how many posts and emails I lost reaching for the delete key and hitting that Touchbar button! My fix was to remove everything but relatively harmless volume/brightness settings from the Touchbar, and I did even consider just locking it with the fixed F1-F12 key option. This machine also has a Touchbar ESC key and power switch/fingerprint scanner, and let me tell you the 16" MBP upgrade sells itself just to get the separate ESC key and power/fingerprint reader. I have it set so that pushing the FN key brings up the F1-F12 keys, and am wondering if there is an app out here somewhere that can disable the Touchbar completely until you push FN?

Quote:
I discovered this last night myself - if you have a suitable iPad, sidecar is pretty useful as a smaller second screen! I have dual screens on my work desktop and personal desktop, definitely with you on that.
Never owned or needed an iPad. For that matter, I just received my weekly screen time report from my iPhone and it says that my average use was three whole minutes per day last week. Other than for Pandora on my commute and keeping my Apple Watches configured, I rarely even use that.

The one new Catalina feature that I'm finding really useful is how they integrate with Apple Watches for authentication functions. In many places where they would ask you to type your password or swipe a finger for things like changing settings or buying apps, Catalina will also prompt you on the Watch to double-tap the side button to approve.....
      03-29-2020, 05:54 PM   #608
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
vreihen16 So I fixed two issues so far - turned off TrueTone. Total gimmick for me, also the way my apartment is designed (I guess), at weird hours the display changes from warm to cool temperatures.

And the battery issue was probably because I was on the 5300M all the time, didn't check the automatic switching for some reason... Still looking for a solution for the Touchbar though.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 07:10 PM   #609
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Still looking for a solution for the Touchbar though.
This is what I did to make the bar tolerable...except for function keys when I press the FN button:

To customize the Control Strip, hit the button I pointed to and it will bring up a funky editor. You can drag down any one of the buttons (including the blank spaces off the bottom of the screen, and drop it onto the physical Touchbar like it is a second display.

If you don't need the F1-F12 keys, you can make a completely blank control strip and then set the FN key picklist to App Controls or Spaces.

While I was writing this post, I swapped the order above so that F1-F12 are on all the time, and pressing FN loads the Control Strip. All of the F-keys seem benign in Opera and a few other apps that I use, except for F11 which seems to be a MacOS toggle that "window shades" all of the open windows up behind the Menu Bar at the top of the screen so that you can see the desktop. You could then safely use one of the other Touchbar options protected by FN.

Feel free to see if one of these options makes sense for you.....
      03-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #610
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Short shifter kit & rad cooling panel for the MSM came in so that will give me something to do this week.

Damn front splitter fasteners sheared off while driving on Friday & the splitter & my custom red strip are destroyed. Let's see what the vendor does tomorrow. They should send a free replacement. Send me metal hardware this time, not nylon. I understand the nylon is so you just lose the splitter, not your bumper. However, I did not hit anything. The crap just sheared off & there goes the splitter dragging on the ground chewed to hell. Glad I had a couple zip ties in the car so I could get back home without dragging the whole way. Couldn't go over 45 mph lol
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 04:50 AM   #611
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

I’ve been getting to chores around the place that needed my attention for some time. That’s all done now.
I’ve now started catching up on car modifications.
Biggest regret is not ordering parts I wanted to install before this quarantine.
I’ve caught up and now everything is 1-2 weeks shipping.

Shouldn’t be so bad since we were added another 30 day quarantine.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 06:03 AM   #612
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

My i9, z390, Gigabyte mb new build is working! I only had this question, which I asked in the comp section here:

"My Noctua CPU cooler wants me to torque it onto my CPU at 0.6 Nm. I don't own that torque wrench!
~ 5.3 inch/lb
~ .44 ft/lb
How would you all go about this, pls?"

Answer: "I would just evenly "torque" down the screws to the point where you feel decent resistance and then stop."

Murf
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 07:39 AM   #613
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
I watched Bad Boys For Life over the weekend. Was much better than I expected. Watched Underwater last night & meh
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      03-30-2020, 08:24 AM   #614
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Apparently, one of my neighbors (I live in a townhouse) has gone full retard after being in the house for a while. She keeps knocking on my door to complain about my TV/music being too loud. I never answer my door for anyone or even bother looking who it is half the time...

She knocked on my door one night last week & I didn't look. Fast forward to Thursday, I am outside washing the car & she comes out complaining about my "music" being too loud. It was a movie, but ok. The only thing on the wall on her side is my sub for my surround sound.

I moved it to the other side of the room. She knocked on my door again today. This time also on the window. I didn't answer.

I'm not over here suddenly listeing to music ot TV much louder than usual. Many months & now, all of a sudden, it's too loud for you? I get it, we're all going a bit stir crazy, but this is not how to handle it, lady!!!!! I guess she ran out of shit to bitch at her husband/bf about.

You bought a townhouse, should have checked this first. I've heard previous neighbors TV/music before & didn't go on a tirade. I should go rev the Hellcat for her.
Speaking of people getting stir crazy, anxious and bitchy. Girlfriend and I stopped at a gas station Saturday, I went inside to get cigarettes, the girlfriend tagged along. Asked for the smokes, the cashier (a well obvious candidate for Ms. TN contstesant for Ms. Trailer Park Pageant, in her late 40's and looking ROUGH) scans the cigarettes. I pass my rewards card to save the $2.00, slide my debit card, then inform the cashier that I don't need the receipt. This is when she begins to give me "Mom Look" of "Boy you better get your ass over here when I tell you." I look down and see the sale is still pending, so I stay until it says "approved." The credit card machine says "approved", I say thank you and start to walk away. Suddenly, she begins yelling at me from across the gas station, "Inconsiderate assholes! There is another screen that comes up that asks you if you want to donate money to the needy but no one ever sticks around to see it!! I have to cancel everything on my side if you don't select an option ASSHOLE!"

Wow! It's not everyday you get yelled at for buying cigarettes from the person selling them to you. The girlfriend and I had no idea how to act. I just smiled and said, "Have a nice day." She replied with "FUCKING ASSHOLE."

Apparently someone is not handling all the stress, that jockeying a cash register at a gas station brings.

Your story of the neighbor in the townhouse reminds me of my townhouse days. I moved in to my first town house and met my second wife during this time. The amount of sex had after would rival the casting couch....I don't feel like I have to explain what this to most of you. They guy that lived next door let me know about 2 weeks in how uninsulated the walls really were by yelling at us mid-throw of passion "YEAAAHH, get it son!!! Make her scream my name too!!!" We both lost it laughing our asses off. Just for a laugh I had her screaming "JEFF!" We could hear him dying laughing. Six months later Jeff moves out and single mother of 2 moves in his place. She heard the sounds of our rigorous love-makery one fine evening and decides to bang on the wall. Being quasi-good neighbors we quietened down, but apparently she could still hear us. This was all prior to us getting married. Her and I took a break for a while and one evening I was grilling on the back deck while the neighbor lady was having some wine. Liquid courage gave her just enough gal to ask about all the noise and sex. Rather than turn this into a post that should be in the dating thread, I'll just end it with....yes.
Appreciate 4
      03-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #615
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
...one evening I was grilling on the back deck while the neighbor lady was having some wine. Liquid courage gave her just enough gal to ask about all the noise and sex. Rather than turn this into a post that should be in the dating thread, I'll just end it with....yes.
Well that's....anticlimactic.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      03-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #616
amraly
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I am taking a daily drive in my X3 to pass time and stay with the social distancing.
Appreciate 0