BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

02-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Question i8 - warming up * running in the engine

I'm receiving my i8 next month, but was wondering about a couple of things, given the lack of direct control over the engine.

I have always run in an engine on my (ICE) cars whenever I have bought a new one. Usually keeping low to medium RPM for 1,000 miles.

Secondly, in my ICE cars, I never use full throttle or high RPM until the engine oil has got up to normal tempertaure.

How do we deal with running in, and then normal driving with the i8?

Drive it around in Sports mode to run in, and then each time for about 10 minutes before pushing it?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
mu2002cs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8

This is a great question! And, it's one that I have found that the dealer and the i Team is unable to answer. The manual states a 1200 mile run in period, varying RPM, etc. exactly like every other BMW. Unless you keep a manual log, there is no way to tell how many miles are on the mechanical engine. I drove nice for the first 1200 miles. Changed the oil and filter, now drive hard.

The other problem is that there is no indication when the engine is warmed up to increase RPM. It would seem to me that in sport mode, the red line should vary on the tach based on operating tempature.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #3
Johnwallis
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 i8

I asked Henrik Wenders this very question in Leipzig last Thursday, He said the reason for running in is mainly the differential bearings, being preloaded treating them with respect will result in a much quieter transmission in years to come. As to warming up the 3 cylinder before running at high rpm it's not necessary although I for one will treat it with a bit of mechanical sympathy!
John
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
garage queen 335is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 I8, 2016 M2, E46 M3 race

I drove straight from my dealership the first 100 miles to get to a private racetrack in the Catskills and then guess......alternating speeds 0 to 130mph ha ha. Car runs great! I don't believe in break in stuff. It was good 40 years ago. With today's technology it's not necessary.
Use good oil and change often, that's all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 10:47 PM   #5
hytek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, 335i

Your shoes are blue.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Look after your engine, and it will look after you

I do agree that the car should take account of oil temperature, and at the very least let you know it is ready (or not) for some high revving fun.

I've not got mine yet, so don't even know if it has an oil temperature display. Has it?
Appreciate 0