BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-31-2015, 11:38 PM   #1
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97, F85, F82

Dentist kills lion...who cares?

If you haven't heard, a man, who happens to be a dentist has killed a lion in some crap third world country.

http://heavy.com/news/2015/07/walter...policy-photos/

Now people are harassing this poor guy. I mean, really?!
      07-31-2015, 11:41 PM   #2
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

This has already been posted and I think you will find most pele do care!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 11:41 PM   #3
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

There's literally a thread on page 1 about this already.....
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 11:44 PM   #4
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97, F85, F82

Oops sorry guys
      08-01-2015, 12:10 AM   #5
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
So it's front page news all over the globe. Pretty much the whole world is up in arms about it...

You've been here a month.. And you thought it was a good idea to post up "Who Cares..."?

Oh, wait. You're from Texas... Now I understand...
      08-01-2015, 12:19 AM   #6
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Did he eat it?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 12:20 AM   #7
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Mmm diced lion
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 12:41 AM   #8
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
So it's front page news all over the globe. Pretty much the whole world is up in arms about it...

You've been here a month.. And you thought it was a good idea to post up "Who Cares..."?

Oh, wait. You're from Texas... Now I understand...
LOL.
      08-01-2015, 05:55 AM   #9
JL350
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0D X4

I've been here more than a month and I don't care. Another case of the internets being judge, jury and executioner.

Most of the idiots frothing at the mouth won't remember it in a week, and certainly don't care enough to get off their arse and do something real about the reason these animals are allowed to be hunted in the first place.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2015, 06:12 AM   #10
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL350 View Post
I've been here more than a month and I don't care. Another case of the internets being judge, jury and executioner.
The internets can decide if the guy goes to jail?

Quote:
to get off their arse and do something real about the reason these animals are allowed to be hunted in the first place.
So what can one (as an individual) do? Except express their opinion and maybe become a member of WWF...
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 06:37 AM   #11
JL350
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
The internets can decide if the guy goes to jail?

No probably worse, but on the inter webs people say things with impunity and the mob mentality prevails. The do gooders in effect become the same or worse than those they are attacking, and the normal considerations of the judicial system are totally ignored.

So what can one (as an individual) do? Except express their opinion and maybe become a member of WWF...
The legal hunting of these animals raises much needed money for their protection from poaching, gives a tourism income to the locals, and generally the meat from the animal feeds the locals etc.

To solve the real issues prosperity needs to be brought to the relevant region so poaching is not a viable source of income, ie more to be lost by getting caught than poaching. Education that this is a finite resource that needs protecting and management. Etc etc.

Vile words solve nothing and polarise both sides. If people really care then they need to put in the effort and make sacrifices (time, money...)to make a change. It is no different to a career, family life etc. unfortunately with Facebook and forums etc, people make short passionate statements and feal they have done good work.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 06:52 AM   #12
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL350 View Post
Vile words solve nothing and polarise both sides. If people really care then they need to put in the effort and make sacrifices (time, money...)to make a change. It is no different to a career, family life etc. unfortunately with Facebook and forums etc, people make short passionate statements and feal they have done good work.
I'm sorry but these are empty words.
Like the complete world (or all who are against this) should make the hands on efford to solve this.
The complete worlds population should move to zimbabwe and solve this?
Like a career or family? How does that work. How is zimbabwe make room for all those people that come and make a 'hands on' change....
Changing social mentality and maybe become member of wwf or so (that means donate money) which I said earlier are both good things...

Also the meat of the few lions/big game animals that are left are not going to make a difference in the nutritional need of the population of zimbabwe or other countries in that region.
It's true that any tourism in that region gives income to the locals, but so does a photosafari, and that is non-destructive.
I don't understand the need of some people to kill exotic animals for pleasure (and I'm not the only one, including a large portion of the people of zimbabwe...).

That a criminal investigation is pending says enough about how the local law inforcers think about this case though. Apparently avoiding exotic animals getting killed is more important to the local population than the 50k or so that was paid to some local guides to facilitate this act...
That says it all I think.

Maybe it's my upbringing or the social mentality where I live, but when you say that you went big game hunting in africa (killing, not photoshooting), I doubt you have any friends left after that.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-02-2015 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #13
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I've said it in the other thread also, but I'm not against hunting in general, but I do get RILED when I see people fork over BIG MONEY to shoot these beautiful animals. What if one day my son cannot see these animals in the zoo or on safari because these pricks killed them all? Have some social conscious please. What a fucking loser. He should have spent that $50K on endangered animal preservation.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I've said it in the other thread also, but I'm not against hunting in general, but I do get RILED when I see people fork over BIG MONEY to shoot these beautiful animals. What if one day my son cannot see these animals in the zoo or on safari because these pricks killed them all? Have some social conscious please. What a fucking loser. He should have spent that $50K on endangered animal preservation.
I know a few people who are hunters. The game they hunt is always used for food. But I find it interesting that these big game hunters like to use projectile weapons (gun, crossbow, etc), many times have an entourage with them, and they think this makes them a man? I feel if they really want to man up, they should go mano a mano with the animal they want to hunt. Let's see how things turn out then. After all, how sporting is it really when you're at a safe distance/typically behind cover?
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #15
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

As long as men in China need rhino and elephant tusks to get their dicks hard then poaching will be a problem. There is a bigger threat than rich American idiots who have insecurity issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #16
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Did he eat it?
there probably would be somewhat less fuss about this whole thing if he did eat it

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #17
Joe S
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Package

I don't get it, how is killing an innocent animal with a fire arm make you more worthy or somehow superior?? In my books you proved to be a wanker! if you want to prove your manhood fight a lion with your bare hands and see who wins!? Lions don't use weapons so why should humans!!! Idiots!!! love to see hunters become the hunted!!
      08-02-2015, 10:28 PM   #18
NotoriousART
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

If you don't care that some rich asshole paid 50k to illegally poach a beautiful, rare, endangered animal from this beautiful planet and take his life for "sport" just to make himself feel more like a man, then there is obviously nothing to even discuss here because it's doubtful we could change your mind.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2015, 11:40 PM   #19
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds007 View Post
If you haven't heard, a man, who happens to be a dentist has killed a lion in some crap third world country.

http://heavy.com/news/2015/07/walter...policy-photos/

Now people are harassing this poor guy. I mean, really?!
Poor guy....yeah real poor..what a stupid opinion. I mean, really?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 05:54 AM   #20
JL350
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Most stuff I am seein are showing little interest in discussing this as adults and prefer to name call those who do the hunting etc. Storm in a tea cup people can puff their chests and feel proud that they stomped their feet on an important issue over the Internet while changing nothing.

There is always two sides to every story, the people that understand the big game hunting are probably saying the opposite to you guys. The African governments raise important revenue from legal hunting to protect these animals. The information is out there if you wish to form an educated opinion.

I don't particularly care about this issue, I don't like how the Internet portrays this issue in an unbalanced way with the judge, jury, and executioner mentalities that goes against some of societies core values. I wonder how many people who do this and someone is found innocent afterwards. Do they apologise or are they cowards who say nothing...

Anyway that is my opinion. I am far more concerned about terrorists, rapists, pedophiles etc.
Appreciate 0