06-18-2019, 02:16 AM   #67
henrylee
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
Where are the plentiful? New SS Sport models is what we're referring to, not vintage GMTs that you can buy anywhere. GMTs, Subs, Daytona's - brand new 2019 models (yes, I want to be perfectly clear because you brought up vintage GMTs).

I'm calling BS on the new SS Sport models. I'm on TRF every day and there are endless threads of people looking for SS Sport models.

I am on the preferred list and got a SS Daytona about 9 weeks after I told my AD I wanted one. This took me 10 years to build this relationship with my AD along with plenty of money being spent.

I'd like to pick up another Hulk for a friend of mine - at MSRP, so show me the way and I'll purchase it on the spot.
I agree. ADs are now selling there SS sport models to clients that spend 100k a year. I only recent got called on a CHNR root beer which I wasn’t interested in but let my friend purchase it by showing up together. Been waiting for a SS Daytona for >2 years now.
      06-18-2019, 05:05 PM   #68
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

The shortage is a real thing, but Rolex can F* off with this bubble. Some ADs are downright rude to potential customers just because they can be now. That's fine, plenty of other fine timepieces to choose from.
Appreciate 4
      08-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #69
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
The shortage is a real thing, but Rolex can F* off with this bubble. Some ADs are downright rude to potential customers just because they can be now. That's fine, plenty of other fine timepieces to choose from.
I’ve encountered both friendly and rude ADs over the past couple of months. For those rude ADs, I hope they choke on their greed when this bubble bursts.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 10:39 AM   #70
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

My local AD is very polite and apologetic that he can't get me anything that I want. I sold my BLNR earlier this year at a nice profit (I paid MSRP for it a year earlier) and now, since I can't actually obtain a new Sub and I refuse to pay over MSRP for a used watch (!!!!) I bought an Omega Seamaster. Which does everything that a sub can do (i.e. tell time) and at half the price.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 12:30 PM   #71
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
My local AD is very polite and apologetic that he can't get me anything that I want. I sold my BLNR earlier this year at a nice profit (I paid MSRP for it a year earlier) and now, since I can't actually obtain a new Sub and I refuse to pay over MSRP for a used watch (!!!!) I bought an Omega Seamaster. Which does everything that a sub can do (i.e. tell time) and at half the price.
Definitely the smart move, IMO. There's nothing in the material world I'm willing to jump through extensive hoops to acquire. Life's too short and frankly, few things are rare enough to warrant such behavior. The again, I bought my explorer II in 2016 for about 10% off MSRP. I have the Rolex I want and have no interest in anything else they sell. So I'm all set. I feel bad for the people currently lusting over Rolex watches, have their money ready, and are still not able to get what they want.
Appreciate 2
Egrunt548.50
      08-29-2019, 06:07 PM   #72
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Paid MSRP for my 116610ln sub in Dec of last year... wouldn't pay $1 over... only other Rolex I want is Panda Daytona... also wouldn't pay $1 over msrp... when it comes it comes; otherwise no thanks.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2019, 01:31 AM   #73
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

I bought my SS Submariner, and SS Datejust many years ago. The prices are now insane. I actually rarely wear them. I wear my Seiko SRP773, Sarb033, along with yes, Timex. One of my favorite is the Timex Explorer.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:13 AM   #74
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Paid MSRP for my 116610ln sub in Dec of last year... wouldn't pay $1 over... only other Rolex I want is Panda Daytona... also wouldn't pay $1 over msrp... when it comes it comes; otherwise no thanks.
yeah its crazy what prices were at just 8 months ago

i was selling the 116610s for 8-8500 and now i could be getting 9500-10k easy

Same with the daytonas. I almost pulled the trigger on the panda at 12k last year but thought maybe i could find a better deal. 24k+ later...

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
ASAP9969.50
      08-31-2019, 12:56 AM   #75
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep

I was in Wempe in NYC. No SS sport watches. I was looking for a Explorer/white dial, no luck. Display case pretty much empty. If your looking for two-tone Gold/SS, you have many options.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 06:34 AM   #76
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
yeah its crazy what prices were at just 8 months ago

i was selling the 116610s for 8-8500 and now i could be getting 9500-10k easy

Same with the daytonas. I almost pulled the trigger on the panda at 12k last year but thought maybe i could find a better deal. 24k+ later...
What makes this realllly funnnyyy... is that I thought I overpaid at MSRP...

Everyone was with the false belief that possibly Basel would release a new Sub or new movement... didn't happen.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #77
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What makes this realllly funnnyyy... is that I thought I overpaid at MSRP...

Everyone was with the false belief that possibly Basel would release a new Sub or new movement... didn't happen.
i think most everyone (or at least the ones with an ear to the market) were speculating the GMT would be discontinued and a new one with new movement would happen (which both did)

I dont remember many, if any, were saying the subc was going away in favor of a new model.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 02:53 AM   #78
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
I heard yesterday from my AD that Rolex is trying to kill off the resellers and gray market with their ridiculous prices. Not entirely sure how holding off on inventory makes that strategy work or how long Rolex can survive with that strategy.
I really hope this happens. I would love to get a GMT MASTER II in Black (they have been discontinued this year) but wont pay a cent over MSRP for a brand new one.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports

Last edited by 0-60Motorsports; 10-17-2019 at 03:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 09:42 PM   #79
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep

Before NYC was pretty much shutdown due to Covid-19. Rolex boutiques in NYC got shipments of some SS models.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 08:17 PM   #80
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325 View Post
Before NYC was pretty much shutdown due to Covid-19. Rolex boutiques in NYC got shipments of some SS models.
Most watches are coming down in price faster than the stock market.

I just saw a coke for sale for $7900. Those used to catch $9000+ all day long.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 10:33 PM   #81
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

So. Since I'm trapped in my guest bedroom coughing my lungs out, here's a (sort of) short story.

Last year, I was coming up on a "triple-crown" of three events (within a year or two of each other): my 10-year wedding anniversary, my 50th birthday, and my Captain upgrade.

My wife wanted to get me a Sub or a GMT since I'd always sort of wanted one from back when I was on Active Duty in the AF (and boy, not buying a dozen GMT's at the AAFES in Germany in the mid 90's? Big mistake. Huge).

She liked the Air-King (which sort of made sense with me being a pilot), but the face was a little busy to me and I thought the whole tie-in with the Bloodhound SSC was sort of a gimmick.

I liked the Explorer from a picture I'd seen with it on a nylon strap but nobody near me had one in stock. Funnily enough, on a long layover, I wandered into an AD and they'd *just* put one out in the case that morning-- I looked at it, tried it on, tried to love it, but it just didn't grab me-- I wasn't much for the shiny bezel or grey face (it photographs much darker), and it felt a bit small for my wrist. So I passed on it (although I could have made a quick buck on it if I'd wanted to flip it). As soon as I decided against it, another guy bought it before the sales rep could even put it back in the case.

My wife and I continued to research and did a LOT of shopping around trying to find "my" watch-- IWC, Panerai, Muhle Glashutte, Omega, Tudor, yada yada. I actually spent time in Chile, Argentina, and a bunch of islands in the Caribbean looking around for something that caught my eye with no success.

We both kept coming back to a ceramic Sub No-Date (114060), but good luck finding one, as I had NO relationship with any AD's.

I looked around locally, and an AD an hour north of me put my name "on the list" with the expectation of 2-3 years before one came available.

Then, I just happened to stop by the AD nearest my house (go figure), since I needed to get some of my wife's jewelry repaired/cleaned/appraised and chatted with the sales rep. I told her my story and about how my wife wanted me to get a Sub No-Date, but that we couldn't find one anywhere. She took my name down, and I honestly never expected to hear from her as she said they *never* got SS Rolex's in stock.

Two weeks later? She calls. A ceramic no-date Sub came in and she'd talked to the owner, told him my story, and he said to call me to see if I wanted it. They were very interested in only selling to someone who would keep the watch and not flip it for a profit.

My wife and I went down, picked up the Sub, and then I had to wait a week to wear it while I waited for my Everest nylon strap to come in (I'm not a big fan of bracelets). The strap *completely* changes the look of the watch-- it's still a Sub, but it's more subtle and doesn't have the large ss bracelet that screams "Look at me- I'm a Rolex!".

So, now my watch collection is complete. I have a vintage Glycine Airman that was my father's in Viet Nam that has pride of place (it's a "true" 24 hour + GMT watch)-- it's a little small on my wrist now by current standards, but my father gifted it to me when I graduated pilot training and I wore it through every conflict and war I flew in for 27 years. The Sub is my "around home/date night" watch when I'm not on a bike or motorcycle. I've got a Sinn 856 UTC that is utterly and completely bombproof for when I'm flying (its casing is 5x harder than a Rolex), a Seiko Samurai dive watch that I've had down to 200', and an old titanium Skagen Quartz that weighs nothing, is worth nothing-- but it's handy to have a non-automatic occasionally.

My wife claims that with this whole virus thing, the Sub and the M2C are probably the only two things we have that might eventually appreciate!

R.
Attached Images

Last edited by flybigjet; 03-27-2020 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #82
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep

Both my SS 36mm Datejust, and SS Submariner Date are in Quarantine. We can't wait to go out. Be safe everyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 01:14 AM   #83
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post
Most watches are coming down in price faster than the stock market.

I just saw a coke for sale for $7900. Those used to catch $9000+ all day long.
Yeah, there has definitely been some downward movement in models over the last 2-3 weeks. I still feel grays are holding out somewhat thinking this all might be over in a month or two and things will be back to normal (in other words, they were getting such crazy prices pre-COVID they may have the luxury to sit on these for a short amount of time to indeed see if pricing goes back up). That being said, I doubt they will hold out longer than that. Others theorize the prices went down when China shut down (because China is Rolex's big market).....but that people feel pricing will go back up shortly since China is starting to get back to normal and they are buying again. Rolex SS is like the stock market.....hard to say if it's at the bottom right now....or ?

I've seen BLNR's go down....Hulks go down....etc. I'm looking to upgrade my 126711 CHNR to the full gold CHNR.....I think I can get that for $3k or so less than I would have been able to a month ago. I may bite.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2020, 06:19 PM   #84
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
So. Since I'm trapped in my guest bedroom coughing my lungs out, here's a (sort of) short story.

Last year, I was coming up on a "triple-crown" of three events (within a year or two of each other): my 10-year wedding anniversary, my 50th birthday, and my Captain upgrade.

My wife wanted to get me a Sub or a GMT since I'd always sort of wanted one from back when I was on Active Duty in the AF (and boy, not buying a dozen GMT's at the AAFES in Germany in the mid 90's? Big mistake. Huge).

She liked the Air-King (which sort of made sense with me being a pilot), but the face was a little busy to me and I thought the whole tie-in with the Bloodhound SSC was sort of a gimmick.

I liked the Explorer from a picture I'd seen with it on a nylon strap but nobody near me had one in stock. Funnily enough, on a long layover, I wandered into an AD and they'd *just* put one out in the case that morning-- I looked at it, tried it on, tried to love it, but it just didn't grab me-- I wasn't much for the shiny bezel or grey face (it photographs much darker), and it felt a bit small for my wrist. So I passed on it (although I could have made a quick buck on it if I'd wanted to flip it). As soon as I decided against it, another guy bought it before the sales rep could even put it back in the case.

My wife and I continued to research and did a LOT of shopping around trying to find "my" watch-- IWC, Panerai, Muhle Glashutte, Omega, Tudor, yada yada. I actually spent time in Chile, Argentina, and a bunch of islands in the Caribbean looking around for something that caught my eye with no success.

We both kept coming back to a ceramic Sub No-Date (114060), but good luck finding one, as I had NO relationship with any AD's.

I looked around locally, and an AD an hour north of me put my name "on the list" with the expectation of 2-3 years before one came available.

Then, I just happened to stop by the AD nearest my house (go figure), since I needed to get some of my wife's jewelry repaired/cleaned/appraised and chatted with the sales rep. I told her my story and about how my wife wanted me to get a Sub No-Date, but that we couldn't find one anywhere. She took my name down, and I honestly never expected to hear from her as she said they *never* got SS Rolex's in stock.

Two weeks later? She calls. A ceramic no-date Sub came in and she'd talked to the owner, told him my story, and he said to call me to see if I wanted it. They were very interested in only selling to someone who would keep the watch and not flip it for a profit.

My wife and I went down, picked up the Sub, and then I had to wait a week to wear it while I waited for my Everest nylon strap to come in (I'm not a big fan of bracelets). The strap *completely* changes the look of the watch-- it's still a Sub, but it's more subtle and doesn't have the large ss bracelet that screams "Look at me- I'm a Rolex!".

So, now my watch collection is complete. I have a vintage Glycine Airman that was my father's in Viet Nam that has pride of place (it's a "true" 24 hour + GMT watch)-- it's a little small on my wrist now by current standards, but my father gifted it to me when I graduated pilot training and I wore it through every conflict and war I flew in for 27 years. The Sub is my "around home/date night" watch when I'm not on a bike or motorcycle. I've got a Sinn 856 UTC that is utterly and completely bombproof for when I'm flying (its casing is 5x harder than a Rolex), a Seiko Samurai dive watch that I've had down to 200', and an old titanium Skagen Quartz that weighs nothing, is worth nothing-- but it's handy to have a non-automatic occasionally.

My wife claims that with this whole virus thing, the Sub and the M2C are probably the only two things we have that might eventually appreciate!

R.
You're going to need to get a bigger watch case!! You'll see.
I thought I was done many times!
Congrats on the watch.

It would be cool if people posted any deals they come across in the next couple months. The economy isn't going to just bust open once the quarantine is up. People haven't been working for week to months. Businesses will be closed forever.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 07:56 PM   #85
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
I like the photos of the Rolex watches. Never owned one myself. This thread has me curious if the only nice watch I ever bought (Omega) is worth more or less than I paid for it. Probably less. I tried searching that watchrecon site mentioned and it didn't have a hit on my model.

Any links to places that have a large variety of used swiss watches?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 08:09 PM   #86
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
I like the photos of the Rolex watches. Never owned one myself. This thread has me curious if the only nice watch I ever bought (Omega) is worth more or less than I paid for it. Probably less. I tried searching that watchrecon site mentioned and it didn't have a hit on my model.

Chrono24
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #87
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Chrono24
Thanks. They have lots of my model. I think based on condition I am at break even which is better than I expected,
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:37 AM   #88
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post

https://www.watchrecon.com/

pulls listings from the big forums and now reddit.

chrono24 prices are usually significantly higher than what they go for on the forums

Appreciate 1
jamesinaz1627.00